In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

New Soarin Film Rumored

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 1:45 am

This news is late, but I didn't see a topic about it on the website:

Soarin is going to have an all new film. With a current working title of “Soarin’ The World”, the new footage will be filmed over some of the planet’s most famous icons and was originally set to debut first in Shanghai Disneyland’s Adventureland section in late 2015. Now, the film will be at Anaheim and Orlando as well. The date for this new Soarin’ filming at the DLR has already been chosen, in order to secure the proper permits and assure that the Resort looks its best from the air. On the evening of March 12th, 2014, Imagineering will fly an HD Omnimax camera in a helicopter over and around the Resort area for several hours capturing the best nighttime shots for the attraction’s new finale’. The re-launched Soarin’ The World would then debut in 2015 as part of the Anaheim properties 60th Anniversary. Epcot's Soarin will acquire the new film as well in 2015 or early 2016.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: New Soarin Film Confirmed

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 10, 2013 6:13 am

This is good news. I always wondered why they hadn't chose to do a new film for EPCOT. I wonder if they will be doing the filming at DL after the park is closed to guests. It seems like the helicopter hovering would be quite distracting.

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Chuckus95 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 9:46 am

This is disappointing. I get to Florida much more often than California, and Soarin' always reminds me of many of things that I love about California.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Wed 10, 2013 10:44 am

Cardinals314 wrote:This news is late, but I didn't see a topic about it on the website:

Soarin is going to have an all new film. With a current working title of “Soarin’ The World”, the new footage will be filmed over some of the planet’s most famous icons and was originally set to debut first in Shanghai Disneyland’s Adventureland section in late 2015. Now, the film will be at Anaheim and Orlando as well. The date for this new Soarin’ filming at the DLR has already been chosen, in order to secure the proper permits and assure that the Resort looks its best from the air. On the evening of March 12th, 2014, Imagineering will fly an HD Omnimax camera in a helicopter over and around the Resort area for several hours capturing the best nighttime shots for the attraction’s new finale’. The re-launched Soarin’ The World would then debut in 2015 as part of the Anaheim properties 60th Anniversary. Epcot's Soarin will acquire the new film as well in 2015 or early 2016.
[citation needed]*

This rumour's been around for years. Until I see a press release/annoucement from Disney on this, as far as I'm concerned, it's still just a rumour.

* Yes, I know this isn't Wikipedia, but the same principle applies in this case :P
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Exactly what acp said. All that has been around so far is this, which is all rumors.

Here is the link that shows the timeline of this rumor: http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/201 ... -the-world

I personally think this should have been the the original idea for EPCOT when Soarin' was first announced to be coming to the Land. It would have been a great link for the park in combining Future World and World Showcase. We shall see if anything gets announced at D23, but I do hope the ride track stays the same. It's wishful thinking, but we can hope :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: New Soarin Film Rumored

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 12:54 am

Technically, the new film already exists. Disney apparently licensed the tech for Fly-Over Canada, which also used the same production method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTjnZAgI5o

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Technically, the new film already exists. Disney apparently licensed the tech for Fly-Over Canada, which also used the same production method.

Canada does have an attraction that is exactly the same as Soarin, but the film they are using shows all of Canada. The new film will have stuff from all over the world. Disney wants a Soarin attractiom placed at their international parks, but they don't want to use the California film. Thus, an international version can be applicable to use at all of the parks.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

acp
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Thu 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Technically, the new film already exists. Disney apparently licensed the tech for Fly-Over Canada, which also used the same production method.

Canada does have an attraction that is exactly the same as Soarin, but the film they are using shows all of Canada. The new film will have stuff from all over the world. Disney wants a Soarin attractiom placed at their international parks, but they don't want to use the California film. Thus, an international version can be applicable to use at all of the parks.
It's not exactly the same. Circlevision came *way* before Soarin' did. It's a similar concept, though.

The flyover video that Wizzard419 linked to doesn't show much useful, but could indeed be similar to the rig they'd use to film Soarin' scenes. Just because the same technique has been used elsewhere, doesn't mean a new Soarin' film exists, though ;)

As I said earlier, until Disney actually announce something, it's all just rumour. Talk of a new Soarin' film has been around for years on various websites. Until Disney themselves come out and say it, it's just not true, and certainly is nowhere near "confirmed".

While we're on the subject of Soarin' rumours, there's also been rumours for years that it's planned to be added to Disneyland Paris (in the Studios park), and Tokyo DisneySea. Right now, it's not confirmed for either, and honestly I don't see either adding it in the near future. Disneyland Paris have just spent a ton of money on their new Dreams show in Disneyland, and are currently building a Ratatouille attraction in the Studios park, so they won't be building Soarin' any time soon. Tokyo Disney Resort have just announced a load of entertainment changes over the next couple of years, and the location that keeps getting rumoured for a Soarin' location (the "north" side of Mediterranean Harbour) is used for other things. Granted, Tokyo'd have the money to build it, but I still can't see it happening any time soon. They just don't need it, and honestly, compared to some of the other attractions in that park, Soarin's a bit "meh". Also, StormRider in the Port Discovery area of the park uses similar projection/film technology (mixed with a motion simulator (think Star Tours, but about three times the size). Another projected flying ride would be fairly pointless duplication IMHO.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Here is a photo of the seating rig, they opted for a shorter platform with a drop gate for the takeoff (possibly because the space was smaller.

The reason I say technically is that it technically is a new Soarin' film, using Disney's tech/patents, presentation etc. as opposed to ripping off the format, in this case It just isn't for Disney parks.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Thu 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Well anyway>>>>>Hope that the rumor becomes reality!!! :goofy:

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Goofyfan wrote:Well anyway>>>>>Hope that the rumor becomes reality!!! :goofy:
Agreed!

It's nice to dream anyway ;)

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Jul Fri 12, 2013 10:33 am

acp wrote:
This rumour's been around for years. Until I see a press release/annoucement from Disney on this, as far as I'm concerned, it's still just a rumour.

* Yes, I know this isn't Wikipedia, but the same principle applies in this case :P
I agree. Based on the popularity of this attraction in both Orlando and CA, I'll believe it when I see it.
"now, bring me that horizon"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 12, 2013 1:30 pm

I am still amazed at how long the line for the WDW copy is, even on a slow day it can be an hour wait.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I am still amazed at how long the line for the WDW copy is, even on a slow day it can be an hour wait.
I believe you have mentioned that the attraction isn't as popular in DCA now correct? F1gment will be very pleased if she can get on Soarin' with a short wait time ~ it's one of her favorites!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 12, 2013 9:11 pm

It isn't that it isn't popular (though when you go it will probably be mostly empty) but that during the slow times it has a short wait. The only possible attribute I can think of is that during the slow times there are more locals that tourists, while WDW is always more tourists.