"Rapid Fill" Mugs coming to WDW Resorts

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

"Rapid Fill" Mugs coming to WDW Resorts

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Released today was information about the upcoming "Rapid Fill" mugs for WDW Resorts: Here is the excerpt:

Something new is coming to all the Disney hotels here in the Walt Disney World Resort in the next few weeks:

A new refillable mug program — Rapid Fill — will roll out at resort locations with self-service beverage stations at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. The introduction of these new mugs will take place in a phased approach beginning in July with Disney’s All Star Resorts, where the program originally piloted in 2011. The new Rapid Fill mugs have a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip installed in the mug that allows it to be programmed for multiple days (with the option of adding additional days) all the way through Guests’ entire length of stay (even more than 14 days, but they have to be CONSECUTIVE). Mugs will allow Guests to refill beverages at any resort self-service beverage station. Guests also will be able to check their remaining days available on the fountain beverage dispenser’s LCD communication display. Rapid Fill mugs may be purchased and used at any resort self-service beverage island. Disney Dining Plan Guests will receive this mug as part of their package.

Here you are just some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) you may have about the "Rapid Fill" mugs:

- What's the difference between the current Resort Refillable mugs and the Rapid Fill mugs?
The Rapid Fill mugs offer Guests flexibility by allowing them to choose one, two, or three days of refills or for their entire length of stay. The RFID (radio frequency identification) chip installed in the mug alerts Guests as to how many days they have remaining on their mug. The program was tested in 2011 at Disney’s All Star Resorts and is similar to the technology currently used in mugs sold at Disney water parks.

- Can non-Walt Disney World Resort Guests purchase and use the mug?
Yes. Anyone can purchase and use the Rapid Fill mugs at any resort self-service beverage station.

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.

- If the mug is activated for first use at 5 p.m., will the one day count until 5 p.m. the next day?
No, the day will end at 11:59 p.m. that night. Each day is a calendar day (12:01 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.), not a 24-hour period. Whenever the mug is used for the first time, regardless of time of day, the mug will expire for that day at midnight.

- Can the current water park mug be used in resorts?
No. The current water park mug is only valid in water parks, with no resort add-on option. However, Guests soon will be able to add a water park option for their mug.

- Can Guests purchase a Resort Rapid Fill mug anywhere at Walt Disney World Resort?
Resort Rapid Fill mugs may only be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort hotels with self-service beverage stations.

- If a Guest prefers not to purchase the Rapid Fill mug, can they purchase a regular mug instead?
The Rapid Fill mugs will be the only refillable mugs available at this time. Guests may choose to purchase nonrefillable paper cups for their drinks if they prefer.

- Can mugs be microwaved?
No, the mug cannot be microwaved.

- What is the price of the Rapid Fill mug?
The prices of the mugs vary based on Guest preference for number of days for refills, as follows:

$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: "Rapid Fill" Mugs coming to WDW Resorts

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 7:16 pm

As this was a topic a while back, I can't wait to see the butthurt from people. :mrgreen:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Holy cow ~ they jacked the prices up high enough! :shock: Since we were there during the "trial" they ran at the All Stars, I wasn't overly impressed with the RFID chip system. My mug actually didn't work on the last day of our stay, and the CMs at the cash register didn't really care. They wouldn't even give me a cup so I could get water that day :roll: The other problem I ran into is when the pop machines would be out of syrup and only soda water would come out. You couldn't dump your mug and choose another option right away, there was a few minute delay until you could refill your mug again. Hopefully they will keep the ice water free as that is what we used the beverage station for the most anyhow.
I wonder if they are equipping the hot chocolate and coffee machines with the RFID chip system as well. It seems like those beverages cost a lot more per serving than pop does anyhow...

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Disney was probably seeing an abuse of the system as an issue. The refillable mug program, as it stands now, is only for length of stay at the resort you are staying at. But, people bring back their mugs from previous trips, use their own mugs, etc, which apparently is a big of enough issue that Disney is now limiting the ability to use the refill stations to these RFID enabled mugs
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 8:01 pm

What did not help is if a worker, for whatever reason, was trying to get people to buy the mugs and told the guests they would be good "forever". Leading people to bring in 10-20 year old mugs. :D

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Jul Mon 08, 2013 8:31 am

ew I hate this. Are they making you pay a fee based on how many days you want it activated? What a rip-off. I only get the mugs when I have a dining plan anyway (since its free) because they are already over-priced.

lmnissen
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by lmnissen » Jul Mon 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Amy wrote:Hopefully they will keep the ice water free as that is what we used the beverage station for the most anyhow.

Same thing I was thinking. We usually fill our collapsible water bottles when we pass by.

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Jul Mon 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Wow... I haven't bought one of the refillable mugs in a couple years, we used to get them if we were on a longer trip cause it would be cost effective, but now I feel like I'd have to go down for two weeks to make it cost effective. That's a bit much.
"now, bring me that horizon"

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Mon 08, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't mind this change at all.

Normally, when I go to WDW, I stay for two weeks. I'll usually buy a refillable mug when I get there, and refill it each morning/evening before and after spending the day in the parks (I don't bother taking it to the parks with me, I just use it as a cheaper method of having something to drink while at the hotel). To me, this new system won't make any difference to how I use the current system.

Honestly, I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to implement this kind of system. Every single time I've visited the refill stations at the hotel to refill my mug, there's been someone there with an older mug from several years ago getting themselves a free drink (I've also seen people filling non-Disney mugs there*), and every time it's annoyed me. I recall reading some forum threads around various sites at the time they did the trial at the All-Star resorts in which people were complaining they'd no longer be able to use their older cups, as if they're somehow entitled to free drinks for life because they bought a cup ten years ago**. To me, that's just taking advantage of the system, and is - technically - stealing. It actually makes me slightly happy that they're finally implementing a system to stop this. Would it really hurt to buy a $14 (IIRC) mug once per trip? It's not that expensive (Seriously - I worked it out last trip. It'd cost many times that for the number of individual drinks I put in the cup during my two week stay).

Anyway, I'm done with my mini-rant now. I'm off to hide before people start throwing things at me for suggesting people actually pay for drinks :lol:

* Yep. A few times I've seen people filling Universal mugs at the Pop Century refill stations.

** I know there was an offer of "lifetime" refills at one point, but that's not been the case for many years now, and 99.9% of the people refilling older mugs aren't using the mugs that had the "lifetime" refills.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Unless that "lifetime" offer was in writing and from an official source (the bellhop, concession worker, etc. do not count), it probably wasn't a lifetime one.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't have a problem paying for a new mug for each visit, but I hope they have fixed a few bugs in the system. I wonder if they will keep the current paper cups as well. Those either had one or two free refills as I remember. I would have to consider how much I really wanted a beverage with breakfast as we normally didn't return to the hotel until after the drink stations were already closed for the night :(

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Not sure, it might be another wristband thing since making disposable paper cups with the chips would be a costly exercise. Which may be an issue if there are self-serve locations within the parks as well.

acp

Post by acp » Jul Tue 09, 2013 1:19 am

Amy wrote:I don't have a problem paying for a new mug for each visit, but I hope they have fixed a few bugs in the system. I wonder if they will keep the current paper cups as well. Those either had one or two free refills as I remember. I would have to consider how much I really wanted a beverage with breakfast as we normally didn't return to the hotel until after the drink stations were already closed for the night :(
If I remember rightly, they had small RFID stickers on the bottom of the paper cups.
Wizzard419 wrote:Not sure, it might be another wristband thing since making disposable paper cups with the chips would be a costly exercise. Which may be an issue if there are self-serve locations within the parks as well.
Embedding them in the cups, maybe, but the RFID stickers are very cheap.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 09, 2013 1:34 am

While the stickers are cheap, I wonder if they are worth the effort? Soda is already one of the highest profit items on fast food menus.

acp

Post by acp » Jul Tue 09, 2013 2:41 am

Wizzard419 wrote:While the stickers are cheap, I wonder if they are worth the effort? Soda is already one of the highest profit items on fast food menus.
They'll have to. The new drink dispensers they'll be installing for the refillable mugs won't dispense anything if there's no RFID tag there.