My Likes & Dislikes of DLR & Magic Kingdom

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

My Likes & Dislikes of DLR & Magic Kingdom

Post by borjoyzee » Jul Tue 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Well since I nothing better to do, I would like to mention about my likes, dislikes on Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World.

There are so many things that I could mention about these 2 parks but I will give out some details.

Lets start off with Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom.

To me, I think Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom but the Magic Kingdom can be better than Disneyland but in my choice I would pick Disneyland. One main reason is the rides, for some reason I think the rides are a little better than the WDW version, One ride that I know that has some changes and that ride is Pirates of the Caribbean. As in Disneyland the ride has 2 drops and one giant life hill, as in WDW version has 1 drop and now giant hill at the end. I believe the DLR version is longer? Not to mention about the Indiana Jones ride in DLR, which is a awesome ride if you never ridden it. I didn't see that ride in WDW, but oh well....maybe in the future?

As for the Haunted Mansion, I think the WDW version is better, I like the house and seems to look more haunted but DLR has a good looking house as well but I like the WDW better. I don't see much change in this ride from DLR to WDW.

Now as for Splash Mountain, I would say WDW is better, reason is more drops and I think it is a little longer? Still DLR is charming.

Now as for Big Thunder Mountain, I say WDW world is better, my reason is it is faster and more turning, the theming as well is better than the DLR but I think the DLR one is longer? But both are fun but I like the WDW better.

As for Fantasyland, I like the DLR better, I like how they themed it out, like Small World, which they give it own building. DLR has the Matterhorn which is a plus. I am a big fan of the Matterhorn even though it is a old ride but I still like how they did it.

For Tomorrowland I like the DLR better, it seems more of a Tomorrowland than the WDW one. As for Space Mountain, DLR would have to be the one. it seems more futurish. I liked how they themed it out inside the ride. I believe DLR Tomorrowland has more ride than WDW, which is a plus. But I could be wrong.

That is all I got for now, May update this later but yeah, I was bored and I wanted to share my thoughts on both parks since I been to both of them.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Jul Tue 10, 2007 11:00 am

Until WDW's HM gets a refurb, I don't think that it should be compared against DLR's simply because of its current poor condition. The same goes with WDW's Space Mountain, which has been in operation much longer than Disneyland's and definately needs a major refurb (similar to Disneyland's).

But yeah, you made some interesting points.
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Jul Tue 10, 2007 12:42 pm

I can't compare the two theme parks because it has been too long since I've gone to WDW. The only ride I know for certain I like better in WDW is Tower of Terror. It seems longer in WDW, plus the elevator moves forward and backward more.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Tue 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Along the same lines, how about this:

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

Round One: Main Street USA vs. Main Street USA
DL's Main Street currently includes the very cool First 50 Magical Years show hosted by Steve Martin and Donald Duck in the Main Street Opera House, plus it still has the Main Street Cinema that was turned into a shop at MK. DL also has Walt's apartment above the firehouse... not an attraction, really, but just knowing it is there gives DL's MSUSA mad coolness points.
Verdict: Disneyland

Round Two: Sleeping Beauty Castle vs. Cinderella Castle
CC is ridiculously taller, at 189 feet, and has one of the most sought-after character dining experiences in WDW at its base. SBC used to include an awesome walk through diorama of the Sleeping Beauty plot, but it was nixed for ADA reasons. The last few times I've personally been to MK, you couldn't walk across the drawbridge and actually through CC due to stages being up. Walt designed SBC himself. It's a hard choice, but I refuse to have a tie...
Verdict: Magic Kingdom

Round Three: Fantasyland vs. Fantasyland
Four words: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Round Four: Mickey's ToonTown vs. Mickey's ToonTown Fair
ToonTown (at DL) is much larger than its "Fair" cousin in Florida, and includes a very adult-friendly and fun dark ride in Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin. Because of the presence of a real ride for everyone (not just a kiddie ride) I have to tip the hat Anaheim's way again.

Round Five: Tomorrowland vs. Tomorrowland
Ugh. This is a no-brainer. Even with real tragedies like Stitch's Great Escape and the Monster's, Inc. Laugh Floor, and the not-updated Space Mountain, I have to hand this to Magic Kingdom's un-Presslerfied Tomorrowland. Having the Peoplemover/TTA is a huge bonus, too. If Star Tours were still the big draw it was in the 90s and the Buzz Lightyear rides were truly more different, then maybe DL's TL would have had a chance here...

Round Six: Adventureland vs. Adventureland
This one, for me, is very, very tough. On one side you have the original, more effects-laden Jungle Cruise, the original Enchanted Tiki Room, and the Indiana Jones Adventure, but the abomination that is Tarzan's Treehouse and one of the worst foot-traffic bottlenecks at any Disney park ever. On the other hand, you have a true-to-the-original Swiss Family Treehouse, plus Pirates of the Caribbean, and a few kiddie things (Aladdin's Magic Carpets and that coin-operated boat thing near the Jungle Cruise), but you have the most horrible currently-active attraction on any Disney property, The Enchanted Tiki Room--Under New Management. Plus, the Pirates is like the Junior version. It is a tough choice for me, but I will go back to the original again.

Round Seven: New Orleans Square vs. Liberty Square
Seriously? The longer, more effect-laden Pirates of the Caribbean and the original, newly-updated Haunted Mansion vs. a non-updated Mansion and the Hall of Presidents? Even the food leans one way (Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, French Market vs. Liberty Tree Tavern and Columbia Harbour House)... this is DL, 100%.

Round Eight: Frontierland/Critter Country vs. Frontierland
Maybe doesn't look fair, but there is no counterpart at MK for DL's Critter Country, and well, they theme pretty similar. On one hand, a better and faster Big Thunder, on the other, a better Splash Mountain. On one hand, a crappy little Winnie the Pooh ride. The new Tom Sawyer Island upgrades help DL, but Winnie kills it.

FINAL: Disneyland 5, Magic Kingdom 3

A close one!
~Steve

disneypinnut
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by disneypinnut » Jul Sun 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Recently returned from my FIRST trip to DL. (Dozens to WDW). A couple of thoughts on this topic.

1. Space Mountain DL vs. WDW - DL Wins by a landslide. The cars have a personal sound system plays the soundtrack throughout the ride. Way Cool.

2. Splash Mountain DL vs. WDW - WDW wins - The SM in DL completely soaked the riders. It turned out to be not that enjoyable, especially in the cool Anaheim night air. WDW is not only fun but it get the riders just the right amount of "saturation"

More posts later.

Breegan
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Breegan » Jul Tue 24, 2007 12:19 am

I agree with spaulo on the Fantasyland vs. Fantasyland in round three b/c i really liked Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I have never been to Disneyland so i cant really compare them, but i can say that i didnt really like it when they took the ride out of WDW.
"Why should i sail with any of you? Four of you tried to kill me in the past! ...One of you succeeded."

"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue. And trim that sgraggly beard."

(Tia Dalma:) "You know I demand payment." - ( Jack:) "I brought payment. Look!" (shoots the monkey) "An undead monkey! Top that!"

"Son....Im Captain Jack Sparrow...savvy?"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Tue 24, 2007 9:42 am

spaulo do I sense a little west coast prejudice??
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Tue 24, 2007 10:58 am

Jacca5660 wrote:spaulo do I sense a little west coast prejudice??
Believe me, I LOVE WDW. But, if I have some prejudice, it is more towards "original" than "west coast"... besides, my real gut check toss-up was round two, the castles... I love them both, but had to give the hat tip to Florida's grandeur over Anaheim's coziness.
~Steve

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Tue 24, 2007 4:26 pm

spaulo wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:spaulo do I sense a little west coast prejudice??
Believe me, I LOVE WDW. But, if I have some prejudice, it is more towards "original" than "west coast"... besides, my real gut check toss-up was round two, the castles... I love them both, but had to give the hat tip to Florida's grandeur over Anaheim's coziness.
It's been a long time since I've been to Disneyland (1978), and I do remember it being an engineering marvel!!!!!! Being I've been to WDW so much I guess I'm the one with the real prejudice.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage