A site for pointing out Disney's bad show

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: A site for pointing out Disney's bad show

Post by Len90 » May Fri 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is just marketing, just like how they call customer service "Guest relations". Should the worker be reprimanded or possibly fired because he showed a social connection to the guest by raising a sleeve?

The costume/uniform does strip the individuality from the worker, which makes it seamless for shift changes and personal replacement. You and your family go at least once a year, do you have a favorite server that you get every time at whatever places you frequent? You might, but probably don't simply because many of the people are seasonal.
Over the years we have come to know a lot of CMs and do make sure we see them annually. There can still be individuality with the way a worker conducts themselves and interacts with the guest. We now have two restaurants where we want a specific server. There are also CMs in other locations that we try to find.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Len's last post is dead on. They can be individuals without having to "look" different. I worked on Main St. Vehicles and always adhered to the "Disney Look" yet, because of my personality, I had Guests regularly hang out with me. It is NOT the look to show tattoos. Wizzard, you're so far off from Disney giving people the same look to "pay them less". Disney used to treat their CMs with great respect, paying well, nice benefits, discounts, sign-ins, company parties. That's why CMs stayed. Unfortunately, Disney now treats CMs like numbers, removed a 60+ year tradition of the Holiday Party, etc, But, this discussion isn't about that. This is about Disney keeping the same theme. It was the theme that set Disney apart, from CMs to attractions to the lands.

I was at the Anaheim Hilton on 24 hour day and this woman showed up at the pool dressed funny to talk to her friends. After closer inspection, I realized she was in a costume from the Bengal BBQ. Personally, I find that very poor show. It ruins the magic. It's these declining by degrees that chips at the foundation of what Disney used to represent. Disney put the THEME in theme park. They need to realize it's now just becoming an amusement park. Or, worse, a carnival (Ahem, mustaches)... something Walt never wanted.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 28, 2013 1:38 pm

The key is "Used to", now the job market is really in their favor and they use seasonal workers making them disposable. They are numbers, they have no freedom over their position and most of them are going to be gone within a year, I wouldn't be surprised if they have not started the contractor trick that big companies use to avoid paying some taxes.

That is another butt-hurt area that people point out, they don't want to see Disney workers in uniform outside of their workplace, well they are people, they do have to get gas, buy groceries, etc.

But all of this is singling out individuals, this doesn't show the company doing a bad job in the parks, just that the people who work there are human. A reality that some of the tourists and fanboys forget.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 28, 2013 3:06 pm

That is another butt-hurt area that people point out, they don't want to see Disney workers in uniform outside of their workplace, well they are people, they do have to get gas, buy groceries, etc.
Why can't they still change into/out of street clothes before entering/leaving the park? Does it cost Disney money to enforce some magic?

At what point does it not become acceptable for you? Cast Members with long hair, tatted up, and pierced faces walking around? The same music everywhere (jungle sounds in Tomorrowland? Mickey Mouse March on Pirates?) because it's cheaper to produce? Make every attraction a thrill ride? Why even make a theme, just make the structures? After all, it would save them money. Tourists won't notice. The same food at all locations? They aren't far from it with just the brown napkins. And, how a lot of things are now just "Disney Parks".

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 28, 2013 4:07 pm

subsonic wrote:
Why can't they still change into/out of street clothes before entering/leaving the park? Does it cost Disney money to enforce some magic?

At what point does it not become acceptable for you? Cast Members with long hair, tatted up, and pierced faces walking around? The same music everywhere (jungle sounds in Tomorrowland? Mickey Mouse March on Pirates?) because it's cheaper to produce? Make every attraction a thrill ride? Why even make a theme, just make the structures? After all, it would save them money. Tourists won't notice. The same food at all locations? They aren't far from it with just the brown napkins. And, how a lot of things are now just "Disney Parks".
Because they aren't clocked in until they arrive at the specific area they are working in, this was actually a complaint from the workers. If they paid for the time it took to change they would.

It would become unacceptable to me when the worker is unable to perform their duties, became a safety, or health hazard.

Turning the question back to you, as you and others have been clearly dissatisfied with what Disney is doing, why do you keep giving them money? You send mixed signals when you complain about it while simultaneously forking over thousands of dollars to book a vacation with them. If it really were a problem, more people would start putting their money where their mouth is.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Tue 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Sub, I have seen too many off duty CMs in costume outside the workplace. If you take a late night trip to Walgreens odds are you will see lots of different costumes in the store. I actually forgot about this but another bad show was seeing a Disney CM ride a Disney Transport bus from YC/BC to MK. The CM was a mousekeeper still in costume but without a name tag. I might be able to look away from those stopping off at Walgreens, but riding a bus with guests to the Magic Kingdom can cross the invisible line IMO.

To answer Wizz's question, if things keep going this way people will stop going back.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 28, 2013 9:27 pm

They have always ridden the transport though since it is the fastest way to get between points, at DLR part of worker lot is in the same structure as the guest lot so they frequently ride the tram in. Since it would be a waste of resources to build a second transportation network just to move workers in the same speedy fashion as the guest transport, no one really minds.

I asked what would make "you" (well sub, but you would be in the same pool) stop going? The average person could not care less if a worker is seen outside of the context of their area but a fanboy would. I have a feeling outside of being unable to afford the admission, you would still keep going. You would complain about it, but you would never actually refuse a trip.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Wed 29, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't hate Disney parks. They still are quite fun. Cars Land is an example of what Disney has done absolutely right recently. It's just the little touches that get neglected, overlooked, cut that I get upset about. I worry that more and more will get cut and the magic will be all but gone. It's Disney that set the bar so high. It's disappointing to see them let those things go.

As far as changing before a CMs shift. When I worked there, I didn't complain about having to get there 15 minutes earlier to change before hand. I took pride in my work as a CM and wasn't lazy about it or made excuses.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 29, 2013 1:12 pm

That is super that you basically gave 30 mins a day to the company for free (presuming you also changed back after clocking out), but they are a business, and if they only wish to pay for work performed then the workers should only expect to work when being paid. Plus they may have a life outside of work that keeps them on a tighter schedule so uniform changes are delayed. If you drive down Ball, you can see uniformed workers at the bus stop, they probably don't have the time to change since they need to be on that bus or be stuck waiting for an extended period of time.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Wed 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Actually, when I worked there, CMs were dismissed from their shift 15-30 minutes earlier than their clock-out time so they would have time to change back into street clothes. On company time.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Wed 29, 2013 1:37 pm

I would assume that most CMs work at Disney parks because they want to...not because they have to...like someone working minimum wage at a fast food establishment. Taking that into consideration...I then assume that CMs wouldn't mind spending a few extra minutes each day changing into and out of costume.

Lots of assuming there...but at least that was my thought process. Perhaps it isn't like that anymore...and many CMs see it simply as a job and not a privilege.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 29, 2013 2:07 pm

subsonic wrote:Actually, when I worked there, CMs were dismissed from their shift 15-30 minutes earlier than their clock-out time so they would have time to change back into street clothes. On company time.
Considering now their clock in/out is when they leave the work area, I am guessing that is no longer the case.

Since the job pays min wage or less (if they work in a place with tips) and has a large portion of seasonal workers, it most likely is just a job to them. The duties are mostly just double checking restraints, telling people where to stand/sit, pushing a button, or selling food, it does not require any special skills. Plus the abuse from the customers probably doesn't help with the turnover rate as well.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Wed 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
subsonic wrote:Actually, when I worked there, CMs were dismissed from their shift 15-30 minutes earlier than their clock-out time so they would have time to change back into street clothes. On company time.
Considering now their clock in/out is when they leave the work area, I am guessing that is no longer the case.

Since the job pays min wage or less (if they work in a place with tips) and has a large portion of seasonal workers, it most likely is just a job to them. The duties are mostly just double checking restraints, telling people where to stand/sit, pushing a button, or selling food, it does not require any special skills. Plus the abuse from the customers probably doesn't help with the turnover rate as well.
Wizz there are two ways to look at it. In my most recent trip I was just before the start of summer season and there were plenty of CMs whose name tags had year pins on them and others who had won the legacy award with blue tags. In addition to that I currently have friends working internships/CP and they love it and are excited. Yeah they might be doing a mundane task, but from talking to them they still enjoy what they are doing and the experience they receive.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 29, 2013 3:31 pm

True, they can also enjoy the work and stay longer, but a large portion are only there temp and are gone so there is no real feeling of permanence with the workers, some stay but many just simply move on. There is the reality that Disney has not and probably will never earn the "Best place to work" award and will always have labor disputes going on because of the way they elect to treat their workers.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » May Wed 29, 2013 11:59 pm

I don't see the "outside the park in costume" issue as negatively as some; just my perspective. We have this debate in the military to some degree: some uniforms are only allowed on base, some are only allowed onboard ships, and some are for ceremonial occasions. Regulations for some of those uniforms allow for brief stops to-and-from work, and some allow eating at sit-down establishments during work hours. Not all of the regulations make sense from some perspectives, but there is a top-down decision that determines what is acceptable. I'm sure Disney regulations are somewhat similar in that they dictate what can be worn in and out of the workplace for a degree of company acceptability. They may not appease everyone, but it is a small aspect that affects the opinion of the worker and the outside observer.

As for being a "bad show," it would take a cast member in the park in a partial uniform to give me a negative impression. Whether a character with their head off or a ride-specific worker in a GWAR hoodie, it says "unprofessional" to me. I don't think it would prevent me from enjoying my visit to the park unless it was more the norm than the exception. That would warrant a complaint. If not addressed, it would affect my patronage.