A site for pointing out Disney's bad show

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: A site for pointing out Disney's bad show

Post by cy1229 » May Thu 09, 2013 4:47 pm

subsonic wrote:From the start? I went to EPCOT close to when it was still opened, probably when I was like 10ish and several years after that. I found it absolutely amazing and didn't mind "learning".
I heart you.

In a completely platonic, never-have-met-you, appropriate sort of way. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Thu 09, 2013 4:59 pm

cy1229 wrote: I heart you.

In a completely platonic, never-have-met-you, appropriate sort of way. :D
Aww, thanks. :) It's definitely a heated subject of mine. Some say I'm nostalgic, I say I'm just a fan of they Disney that stood for quality. If people have followed some of the things I say on here, they know how picky I can be. And to prove I'm not such a hard-head, I think Cars Land is absolutely fantastic. No complaints there (well, OK, perhaps too much Pixar lately). But, I even surprised myself when I exited RSR saying, "Wow, that was awesome, nothing to complain about that". However, it was the exact opposite reaction when I exited the Mexico ride with Donald Duck...
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Thu 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The problem was that it wasn't a draw for tourists. The perceived educational factor may have backfired on them since it did not push the needle forward. A little surprising, considering it was near the start of educational entertainment. The idea would possibly have worked now if it weren't for the one-sided aspect since the remaining sponsors control the narrative. Though they still would need characters to prevent it from coming across as dry.
Interesting post I saw on this site today, related to just that:
BadParkShow wrote:EPCOT and smart people?

I’ve always wondered if those people who found EPCOT (yes, the all capitol one) boring or “too educational” when it first opened were simply dumber. From my observations and conversations, those that truly enjoyed EPCOT seem smarter. Those that say they are smart, didn’t like it and feel that all the Disney/character tie-ins are OK probably suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect. Look it up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 09, 2013 8:27 pm

To be blunt, Epcot has never been educational, it was a high level summary of various topics but at the same time never (including when it was in the original version) any detail that could prove to be educational. They could look for it when they got home, but at the same time that would not be teaching by the park but rather by another source.

It's not like you could ask someone coming off of universe of energy to explain hydrocarbons or wonders of life to explain the nervous system.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Thu 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:To be blunt, Epcot has never been educational, it was a high level summary of various topics but at the same time never (including when it was in the original version) any detail that could prove to be educational. They could look for it when they got home, but at the same time that would not be teaching by the park but rather by another source.

It's not like you could ask someone coming off of universe of energy to explain hydrocarbons or wonders of life to explain the nervous system.
Oh for crying out loud, are you always this literal, blunt, and need-to-be-right in person?

It was a JOKE. I thought it was funny that they both showed up at almost the same time (for me).
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 09, 2013 9:09 pm

As was calling beauty and the beast a movie about bestiality.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Fri 10, 2013 8:54 am

Wizzard419 wrote:As was calling beauty and the beast a movie about bestiality.
Yeah that made me smirk just a bit.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » May Fri 10, 2013 11:01 am

I +1 the whole loving the old EPCOT. Some of my favorite Disney memories are the old Universe of Energy, Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Journey into Imagination. Yes I agree these rides weren't teaching high level or even medium level educational material, but there was definitely some though provoking ideas there. Seeing Disney talking about and using solar energy to power rides (even partially) in 1985 was pretty amazing! Who knows how many people started learning about renewables because of UoE. I still remember that is where I learned about shale plays in the Oil business. Now, working with petrochemical companies, and oil companies on a daily basis I can say I started my job training at EPCOT when i was 5 :)
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Fri 10, 2013 12:50 pm

jrcohen wrote:Who knows how many people started learning about renewables because of UoE. I still remember that is where I learned about shale plays in the Oil business. Now, working with petrochemical companies, and oil companies on a daily basis I can say I started my job training at EPCOT when i was 5 :)
Totally agree! Without a doubt, Horizons inspired me to learn more about Space or just be interested in future technologies. I know it's final days the lines weren't so long so I'd ride it over and over again picking the final scenes. Likewise, World of Motion showed me the evolution of transportation. While Mission to Mars and Test Track are fun they don't really instill any memories upon me. (Not to mention that "skidding out" without anti-lock breaks doesn't feel anything like the real thing)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Is it not possible that you have aged out? The rides are not and were not targeted adults, it isn't like the old rides made people change from being accountants to being experts in car design.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Fri 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Well, I went with my girlfriend 2 years ago and she said her favorite ride was Spaceship earth. Of course, she enjoyed TT and M:S but just goes to show that thrill isn't needed everywhere.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 10, 2013 1:56 pm

I am presuming your gf was around in the 80's or early 90's, otherwise I might have to call someone. :D But anyway, nostalgia is a powerful tool and tints vision. Same reason why they used to wheel out Andy Griffith, to make that generation feel more relevant and loosen those purse strings.

The parks do not need to be all thrills, but they do need to have good, modern rides. SSE was great but now it is showing its age and the refreshes can only do so much. It isn't in any danger of being replaced since it would require such major work that it would be cheaper to knock the whole thing down and build a replica. The biggest problem that the old rides have is they do not tell a story to you but rather at you, giving the feeling that if the car were empty the ride would have the same experience. Things like randomizing results in RSR, different ride experiences in ST, etc. give the rides some level of re-visit value. They are trying on SSE with the interactive portion to cover the dead sections going in and out of the ride, but it doesn't mesh well.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Fri 10, 2013 4:21 pm

She had never been there before....

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 10, 2013 5:13 pm

You don't need to have been present for it to be nostalgic for it, 80's stuff seems to hit a sweet spot. Possibly because gen x is getting older and gravitating towards icons from youth. Look at the merch they did for the 30th as well as for Cpt EO, all playing hard on the past.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Fri 10, 2013 5:48 pm

I stand corrected; I just confirmed with her and she said Mission:SPACE was her favorite... :( You win