Renting DVC points - WOW

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Renting DVC points - WOW

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 7:58 am

I saw a discussion of this in the discussion about OKW, and just checked it out for myself. Five days in October at Boardwalk villas, standard studio, with park-hopper tickets, me and hubby, $2500 through the Disney site (no meal plan). Renting DVC points $692 and park-hopper tickets only $650-ish (can't remember exactly!). Regardless, comes down to half the cost.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's it. Just wanted to share this example.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Renting DVC points - WOW

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 11, 2013 9:38 am

cy1229 wrote:I saw a discussion of this in the discussion about OKW, and just checked it out for myself. Five days in October at Boardwalk villas, standard studio, with park-hopper tickets, me and hubby, $2500 through the Disney site (no meal plan). Renting DVC points $692 and park-hopper tickets only $650-ish (can't remember exactly!). Regardless, comes down to half the cost.

Wow! That is quite the savings...We might need to check this out for our next WDW trip :D

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 9:43 am

cy1229 wrote:I saw a discussion of this in the discussion about OKW, and just checked it out for myself. Five days in October at Boardwalk villas, standard studio, with park-hopper tickets, me and hubby, $2500 through the Disney site (no meal plan). Renting DVC points $692 and park-hopper tickets only $650-ish (can't remember exactly!). Regardless, comes down to half the cost.

I also have a main gate pass that can take a couple park days off for a lower cost. :wink:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Mon 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I had thought about doing this since I'm still brainstorming my return trip to WDW but it might have to be after this one. I might consider this the next time.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 8:54 pm

I am surprised disney hasn't come down hard on the practice since it does impact the bottom line.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 8:40 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I am surprised disney hasn't come down hard on the practice since it does impact the bottom line.
I think if they did it would hurt their DVC sales long-term. I'm willing to bet that some people are ok with buying into something for such a long period of time when they know they can get some of the money back through rental. If Disney eliminated this loophole, their DVC sales would drop because of the negative P.R.

I'm surprised they allow resales to occur at such a reduced rate, and that they don't purchase the shares back at a discount rather than letting them go "on sale" in the general public. Disney is always so intent on controlling everything they have and do, they've kind of let the DVC side of things slide a bit.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 12, 2013 10:19 am

We've thought about possibly renting DVC points for a trip too. I'm nervous because it takes a large amount of trust on your end, but the savings are amazing! I know theBIGyowski has done this before...he shared the website they used, but I don't remember what thread it was on. :oops:
Maybe he'll post it again if he sees this conversation. :)

...are you looking to go in October cy?

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Mar Tue 12, 2013 10:27 am

MmeLeota wrote:We've thought about possibly renting DVC points for a trip too. I'm nervous because it takes a large amount of trust on your end, but the savings are amazing! I know theBIGyowski has done this before...he shared the website they used, but I don't remember what thread it was on. :oops:

Yes... I must have missed the website too. I'd like to look into it too!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 10:57 am

The website is in the Old Key West question. I think it's on this board but it might be in the WDW one, too.

Edit: 99% sure this is the one BigYowski posted: http://www.dvcrequest.com/

Our fifth anniversary is October 2014 so we're thinking about a "just us" splurge to celebrate then. I was just curious about how much it would cost if it was this upcoming fall. The only trouble with our anniversary date is that it falls during food and wine festival and many schools' spring breaks, and I'm fearful we would run into the same crowding issues that we had last year. We could go earlier in the month. Wouldn't want to go later because that's when daughter #2 will be heavy in the swim season and I don't want to miss any more swim meets than I have to.
Last edited by cy1229 on Mar Tue 12, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 11:02 am

Amy wrote:

Wow! That is quite the savings...We might need to check this out for our next WDW trip :D
I was thinking about this, Amy... a 1 BR or 2 BR would be good for you and F1gment because of greater privacy... and you could travel with one of your siblings (assuming you could stand to be in the same condo with them for a few days) and spread the cost out even more. When you factor in having a few meals in the condo it really saves. But even a studio has a kitchenette (no stove, just a micro) so you could have a bagel and cup of coffee in the morning before venturing out, and having a fridge for F1gment's meds wouldn't be up in the air.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 12, 2013 11:20 am

MmeLeota wrote:We've thought about possibly renting DVC points for a trip too. I'm nervous because it takes a large amount of trust on your end, but the savings are amazing! I know theBIGyowski has done this before...he shared the website they used, but I don't remember what thread it was on. :oops:

I'm cautious too MmeLeota ~ all that, plus I get the concept but don't 100% understand the concept of DVC makes for a very leary me :shock: :lol:
cy1229 wrote:I was thinking about this, Amy... a 1 BR or 2 BR would be good for you and F1gment because of greater privacy... and you could travel with one of your siblings (assuming you could stand to be in the same condo with them for a few days) and spread the cost out even more. When you factor in having a few meals in the condo it really saves. But even a studio has a kitchenette (no stove, just a micro) so you could have a bagel and cup of coffee in the morning before venturing out, and having a fridge for F1gment's meds wouldn't be up in the air.
Neither of my siblings is very into Disney, sad but true :( But I'm thinking the one who is going through a divorce might be up for a trip with his daughter once things get settled. We might have to check that out. I'm thinking non-snorers in one bedroom, snorers in the other. That would work for me! Plus it would give F1gment and her granddaughter some bonding time...they are the snorers :lol: The option to have a quick snack in the room definitely would be a plus. We don't worry too much about meals when we are vacation...after all, we are on vacation! But we also split counter service meals since they give you so much food, which also helps keeps costs of meals down. They sort of sniff at us at Via Napoli when we split an individual pizza, but the pizza is probably 14" across and $19. Half of one is plenty ~ and then we have room for the Zeppoli for dessert :D We've always gotten a small fridge for F1gment's meds, but you are correct, sometimes we have been left hanging while they find one. I think all the value resorts have them standard in the rooms now, so that shouldn't be a concern anymore.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 8:54 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I am surprised disney hasn't come down hard on the practice since it does impact the bottom line.
I think if they did it would hurt their DVC sales long-term. I'm willing to bet that some people are ok with buying into something for such a long period of time when they know they can get some of the money back through rental. If Disney eliminated this loophole, their DVC sales would drop because of the negative P.R.

I'm surprised they allow resales to occur at such a reduced rate, and that they don't purchase the shares back at a discount rather than letting them go "on sale" in the general public. Disney is always so intent on controlling everything they have and do, they've kind of let the DVC side of things slide a bit.
It probably wouldn't since the customers have a contract for their timeshares, and there are most likely stiff penalties for trying to bail on it.

It would be foolish of disney to buy back their own product just to impact the market since it would drive up the cost to them, and the resale price, resulting in even less money coming in. I think the only reason it is still in existance (note, it isn't permitted it just isn't outlawed) is that it doesn't make a trackable bump in income as well as it isn't easy to enforce.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Amy wrote:

It's well-worth it as well. My roommates have DVC. We stay at the resorts at various times during the year for next to nothing. Five nights in a 2BR at OKW didn't even run us more than about 80 points total. Which is a steal. We're using DVC to go to DL next year to save on a hotel, as for cast, the hotel discounts at DL are laughable.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 13, 2013 10:27 am

Alright...I am just now seeing this lovely thread!

So...here's the thing on DVC and renting DVC. For the most part...Disney doesn't care. Why? Because they made their money already when they sold to the DVC Owner...plus they get maintenance fees every year from that owner. So the money has been made...and more than likely...that owner bought APs...money in Disney's pocket. The other reason they don't really care is because the guest renting DVC is probably more likely to upgrade their base tickets and eat at more TS restaurants because of the money they are saving on renting vs paying Disney to stay at a non-DVC resort. Everybody wins...Disney...the DVC owner...and the guest renting.

The main website I use to calculate points needed is from WDWInfo.com. Their calculator is still not working correctly (I should probably drop them a note about that) but you can look at the point charts yourself to do your own calculating. The only thing that would keep me from renting DVC for every trip would be if we needed to save a little more money...thus putting us in a Value Resort. Still...I priced a trip yesterday that would have DW and I splitting a stay between OKW and BWV for 7 nights (9/3-9/10) and it was only 76 points...estimate $12 per point...and that comes out to $912.00 total. That is insane for staying 7 nights in nice resorts.

As far as DVC resales...again...Disney made their money on the original sale. They obviously don't want the price to drop too much on a resale...which is why they have first right of refusal on all resales...but if the price is fair they don't care. (that rhymed) They still make money every year in maintenance fees...and those are based on how many points you have...not how much you paid for it. Also remember that the value of DVC goes down every year because the contract term goes down each year. So hypothetically...you buy into OKW back in 2003 for $15,000...and it lasts for 40 years...meaning it runs out in 2043. If you decide to sell it now...10 year later...you can't sell it for $15,000 because it only has 30 years left on it...thus the reason it sells cheaper.

If anyone is interested in buying DVC...check out this cool website someone from MouseOwners.com created. It pulls from a lot of DVC Resale sites and allows you to search based on resort, price, points, etc.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 13, 2013 10:38 am

theBIGyowski wrote:...The only thing that would keep me from renting DVC for every trip would be if we needed to save a little more money...thus putting us in a Value Resort....
So the Value resorts are cheaper than renting DVC points for the most part??
Thanks for the websites. I really will check those out the next time we are headed to WDW and see what the options are :D