Renting DVC points - WOW

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Renting DVC points - WOW

Post by cy1229 » Mar Sun 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Soarin08 wrote:The one at the Grand is shaping up nicely. :) I don't know, would there be room at the Poly to expand like that, does anyone think?
What's the soil like in the direction of the TTA? If it's not to marshy / squishy, it would be a good place.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Re: Renting DVC points - WOW

Post by JenMuse » Mar Tue 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't own at Disney but I do own a timeshare through Hilton. I bought in 2005 and have taken 4 big trips using my points. If I take into account just the costs of the resorts, I need to make 3 more trips to break even on my initial purchase price of $10,444:

First trip was to the UK: 1 night in London, 2 nights in Bath, a week in Ballater, & 1 night in Edinburgh. And since I covered the resort, my traveling companion paid for the car in Scotland and 90% meals plus tickets to a few fringe festival shows in Edinburgh.

Next 3 trips were to Disney and since I was provided the resort, my family paid for the other big items (Dad covered airfare, Mom bought park tickets, sister & brother split food, parking, and rental car--everyone kicked in roughly $1100 each).

Adding in those financial perks, I've more than broken even on my initial buy-in and am making headway on the interest...but buying into the DVC, I'd still be at least 5 years out from covering the buy-in since it is so much higher. Not to mention the higher Maintenance Fees, limited locations, and expiration.

With DVC you are basically leasing for a set time; whereas with Hilton, I own forever and can pass it along to heirs just like my house.

Edit to add: all that said, I'm thinking that for my next Disney trip, I plan to try swapping points with a DVC owner through either http://www.mouseowners.com or http://tugbbs.com/forums (Timeshare User Group). Would be great to eliminate the rental car and parking fees.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs