Disney PhotoPass Quality Control

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney PhotoPass Quality Control

Post by Len90 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Wyntuck wrote:I'd just rather take my own photos than mess with PhotoPass. (appropriate name)
Haha too funny.

Called today and the missing batches are forever lost. Definitely a huge bummer. I talked to them about uploading your own pictures and allowing it to be part of the CD as a way to keep a backup in the future if this was to occur. I guess the lesson here is to check your photopass nightly and if anything is missing go back and take it again?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 5:09 pm

I would guess that they would never allow you to upload to their system for a variety of reasons (mostly legal issues, some related to cost).

I am surprised you would use them again, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" and all...

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Wyntuck wrote:I'd just rather take my own photos than mess with PhotoPass. (appropriate name)
What's nice too is that the people who take pictures for photopass will gladly use your camera to take pictures. They will however take a couple with their own and will give you a card.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:
What's nice too is that the people who take pictures for photopass will gladly use your camera to take pictures. They will however take a couple with their own and will give you a card.
True. However, it's often a pain in the hiney to lug your DSLR and lenses, plus filters, to get the same quality shots. Besides that, PhotoPass gives you little touches you can add to photos, like borders, "stickers" and such.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 10:57 pm

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 7:04 am

that app sucks. If you try even developing a 4x6 they come out awkward. it really is meant just for cell phone sized pics. I used the app and got pics developed twice, at different stores, and same results.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:25 am

:lol:
yodiwan1 wrote:that app sucks. If you try even developing a 4x6 they come out awkward. it really is meant just for cell phone sized pics. I used the app and got pics developed twice, at different stores, and same results.
Aww, that is too bad :(

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Boy!!! that is so sad to hear. We always had good luck with photo pass. We have been often to WDW. we don't use the photo pass any longer. We just take our own photos. Good thing. :shock: :goofy:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I would guess that they would never allow you to upload to their system for a variety of reasons (mostly legal issues, some related to cost).

I am surprised you would use them again, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" and all...
It's all a legal thing. You get a release with the disc giving you the rights to the photos. So if you put your pictures on it, Disney would then be giving you a copyright release to your own picture...

As for doing it again, I personally enjoy the backgrounds, magic shots, and we also do a magnet every year through photo pass.
cy1229 wrote: True. However, it's often a pain in the hiney to lug your DSLR and lenses, plus filters, to get the same quality shots. Besides that, PhotoPass gives you little touches you can add to photos, like borders, "stickers" and such.

It definitely is not the easiest thing to do in lugging a DSLR around the parks. I ended up settling on just my 24-105 lens mounted and leaving my telephoto in the room except for when I was in DAK. The weather was really nice so I was able to go without a bag enough of the time which was nice.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sun 21, 2013 2:02 pm

I've noticed on the past few trips...the magic shots that didn't turn out and night shots were way over exposed. We just make sure to take extra pictures and something good always comes out! :D

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jul Sun 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Given the proliferation of camera phones, I'm still surprised Disney even keeps this going. The lack of quality may be some commentary on the rate of return.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sun 21, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm glad Disney does the photopass, it's awesome they will take shots with your own camera too. I've often wondered too, how many people purchase the photos???? We usually purchase a few from each trip.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Not even camera phones, DSLRs seem to be more common in amateur hands these days since film is no longer used.

But yeah, the purchase rate is probably low (just like with ride photos or any other place where they take your photo and try to sell it to you later). So investing in higher quality staff would be about as productive as setting fire to a pile of cash.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Sun 21, 2013 8:27 pm

every time I have gone to get my free pic from Epcot there is always a line. I think they bank on it. Without having to develop film anymore there is little cost for them to do it. They own the software, they pay the photographers, and only print out what's needed. The most they spend is on the cameras.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 21, 2013 8:48 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:every time I have gone to get my free pic from Epcot there is always a line. I think they bank on it. Without having to develop film anymore there is little cost for them to do it. They own the software, they pay the photographers, and only print out what's needed. The most they spend is on the cameras.
I agree with yodiwan1, there is always a line at the pick up spot by Spaceship Earth. I think a lot of people probably take advantage of the photopass service because they don't have to worry about toting around a camera. And I think a lot of guests think the photopass photographers will take a better quality photo than they can take themselves.