In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: CRUISE ADVICE?

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 23, 2013 4:38 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:
cy1229 wrote:You have to be SUPER careful, though, just how far off the beaten path you venture. Tourists make an easy target for crime, unfortunately. Definitely don't shop at the first place you see, but don't wander too far, either.
You are correct! I saw a warning somewhere saying that one should avoid a certain section of Nassau at night due to crime. Like I'd let that stop me. I'll put on my luchador mask and scare everyone away.
I'm sure if you are smart and pay attention to where you are, you should be fine. I wouldn't wander the the back streets of any unfamiliar town after dark!
I would certainly run the other direction if I saw someone in a luchador mask :shock:

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Mon 11, 2013 9:30 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:So my family's trip is coming up soon (March 16th) and we'll be hopping aboard one of the cruiseliners. Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what the standard stops are aboard one of the ships? I believe my dad told me that we'll be stopping in Nassau, which would be totally awesome because I would love to soak in some culture and genuine caribbean food.

You have to try the Conch Fritters and Conch Soup.......Awesome stuff :D :goofy:

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Feb Mon 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I would love to take a Disney Cruise! In fact, I never even took a Cruise and I live in West Palm Beach where a ton of ships take off! Kinda sad isn't it? lol.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 11, 2013 10:31 pm

That's not too bad, that is like saying you haven't been to the mall of america.

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Feb Mon 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That's not too bad, that is like saying you haven't been to the mall of america.
True,True. Now the Mall Of America is somewhere I really wanna take a trip too! That looks like fun. I hear you need to take quite a few days for that mall.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Tue 12, 2013 5:43 pm

MetalRage wrote:I would love to take a Disney Cruise! In fact, I never even took a Cruise and I live in West Palm Beach where a ton of ships take off! Kinda sad isn't it? lol.

I know this is probably a sin to say on Subsonic :shock: But........ We just got back from taking a cruise on the Carnival Liberty and had a grand time. Finances this time around forced us to go a little cheaper and Carnival by far was the better value. :oops: :mrgreen: :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Goofyfan wrote:
MetalRage wrote:I would love to take a Disney Cruise! In fact, I never even took a Cruise and I live in West Palm Beach where a ton of ships take off! Kinda sad isn't it? lol.

I know this is probably a sin to say on Subsonic :shock: But........ We just got back from taking a cruise on the Carnival Liberty and had a grand time. Finances this time around forced us to go a little cheaper and Carnival by far was the better value. :oops: :mrgreen: :goofy:
That is a good thing to hear as I haven't heard many positive things about Carnival...

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Feb Wed 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:

That is a good thing to hear as I haven't heard many positive things about Carnival...
Especially lately! I heard that the ship stuck in the Gulf of Mexico is in such bad shape, there's little to no running water, the passengers are not permitted to be in their staterooms because of the inability to flush, and the food is in super short supply. Talk about a nightmare! I hope everyone gets back to port safely.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Feb Wed 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:

Awesome to know! I was wondering which cruise was a good but affordable want to take. *Makes a note*

"We wants the redhead!"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Fri 15, 2013 11:52 am

MetalRage wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:That's not too bad, that is like saying you haven't been to the mall of america.
True,True. Now the Mall Of America is somewhere I really wanna take a trip too! That looks like fun. I hear you need to take quite a few days for that mall.
Now there's a vacation idea. I'm not kidding either. :D

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Sun 17, 2013 8:25 am

Carnival is now offering deep discounts for the next few months......Hmmmmm. Wonder Why.... :shock: :oops: :wink: :mrgreen: :goofy:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Sun 17, 2013 10:16 am

Goofyfan wrote:Carnival is now offering deep discounts for the next few months......Hmmmmm. Wonder Why.... :shock: :oops: :wink: :mrgreen: :goofy:
Who in their right mind would sail with them after that fiasco?! :shock: If it's not Disney I would refuse to even sail.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Feb Sun 17, 2013 5:13 pm

side note, i would assume that there are contingencies for problems like that on DCL... a tow to castaway key, then mass flights from the strip to miami?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Mon 18, 2013 1:26 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:side note, i would assume that there are contingencies for problems like that on DCL... a tow to castaway key, then mass flights from the strip to miami?
True... But DCL has never had a mass issue. Even the dreaded Norwalk virus stays away. They have things nailed. Contingency plans are in plan for every inch of Disney here in Orlando and at the port but the last time I even remember them having to use it was 9/11.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Mon 18, 2013 10:17 am

We have only been on one cruise, and we are scheduled to go on another one later this year...both Carnival. I will say this: we had such an amazing time on the first one and thoroughly look forward to the next one...even in light of the tragedy with the Triumph last week. In all honesty, something like that could happen on ANY cruise, regardless of carrier. Would I want to be stuck in that situation? No. But I think that Carnival did an amazing job with trying to keep everyone as calm as possible and they were all heavily compensated...something they didn't have to do. When you go on a cruise, you basically sign a waiver that releases the cruise line from responsibility so they cannot be sued. Do I think that the accident could have been prevented based on reports of issues on the previous cruise? Yes. (According to the news, the sailing prior to this one had a delayed cast off due to propulsion issues) Now, I don't know how things will pan out in the coming weeks/months but it sure seems like they did a great job in the situation that ensued. There was no loss of life. There were no serious injuries. It could have been much worse.

So for now, I will continue to be excited for our upcoming Carnival Cruise! :)

...and no disrespect to DCL or any other cruise line, but no one ever has a spotless record forever. :/ Stuff happens no matter how prepared you are.