CRUISE ADVICE?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Stitch's Cousin
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

CRUISE ADVICE?

Post by Stitch's Cousin » Sep Sun 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi! I'm planning to take a Disney cruise in early 2014. From what I've read elsewhere, itineraries should be issued withinh the next few months. Is booking a cruise similar to booking airfare - i.e. the earlier you book the better the fares (obviously excluding any special offers)?

Also, has anyone cruised with a young child on the Fantasy? I'm curious how strict the 42" height requirement is for the AquaDuck (similar to the parks where 1/4" to short will likely be denied?)

TIA!!

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: CRUISE ADVICE?

Post by dstrawn9889 » Sep Sun 02, 2012 4:08 pm

hey, you wouldn't want your child to get hurt inside the ride, would you? :lol: :roll: i would expect it to be as, if not more, strict with the height policies... there may be a doctor on board, and able to set a broken bone, but you would be quite a ways from a level one trauma center... heaven forbid something bad would happen

:::EDIT::: i expect the height req' for the ride is to protect the child from turning sideways and getting stuck... and that at that size he/she i s probably strong enough to keep their body oriented properly in the tube. -->just to say they do not set the rules arbitrarily

Stitch's Cousin
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Stitch's Cousin » Sep Sun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm not going to debate any safety requirements. I'm safety conscious and do not try to get around safety rules (it's part of my job :) ), I was just curious regarding people's experience with absolute strictness of the height (e.g. to the 1/16"??).

Btw, the AquaDuck requires single riders to be at least 54" tall, so a anyone between 42 & 54" tall would not be alone on a raft. I had previously heard that the height requirement was set to (somehow) ensure that the rafts had enough weight on them so they would not get stuck in the tubes for being too light. I guess Disney doesn't want to start requiring folks to step on a scale first. :lol:

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Sep Sun 02, 2012 5:41 pm

... and you dont wanna be caught 13 stories above the waves outboard of the railings...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Stitch's Cousin wrote:Thanks for your reply. I'm not going to debate any safety requirements. I'm safety conscious and do not try to get around safety rules (it's part of my job :) ), I was just curious regarding people's experience with absolute strictness of the height (e.g. to the 1/16"??).

Btw, the AquaDuck requires single riders to be at least 54" tall, so a anyone between 42 & 54" tall would not be alone on a raft. I had previously heard that the height requirement was set to (somehow) ensure that the rafts had enough weight on them so they would not get stuck in the tubes for being too light. I guess Disney doesn't want to start requiring folks to step on a scale first. :lol:
I was not all that happy when I had to weigh in before taking the Africa Trek adventure :roll:
dstrawn9889 wrote:... and you dont wanna be caught 13 stories above the waves outboard of the railings...
That might make for an excellent photo op though :D

You might try sending a private message to Soarin'. She did part of her internship with the Disney Cruise Line. She would be able to tell you about when the best fares are available I would think. I also believe that AnnaFab is currently working on the Fantasy so you might be able to get ahold of her as well.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Sun 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Enjoy your cruise. Take lots of pictures for future memories.... :D :goofy:

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Sep Mon 03, 2012 8:16 am

Amy, I was not all that happy when they harnessed me in and they turned my shorts in to short shorts. I know I have long legs and all, but I really don't want to show the world how pale and hairy they are.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 03, 2012 8:29 am

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Amy, I was not all that happy when they harnessed me in and they turned my shorts in to short shorts. I know I have long legs and all, but I really don't want to show the world how pale and hairy they are.
Yeah, I think I the harnesses are a lot more uncomfortable for the men then the ladies. Small price to pay for knowing you will remain safely above the alligators (or were they crocodiles?) though I suppose ;)

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Mon 21, 2013 12:11 pm

So my family's trip is coming up soon (March 16th) and we'll be hopping aboard one of the cruiseliners. Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what the standard stops are aboard one of the ships? I believe my dad told me that we'll be stopping in Nassau, which would be totally awesome because I would love to soak in some culture and genuine caribbean food.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Mon 21, 2013 12:24 pm

castaway cay is a stop in the caribbean, isnt it for all caribbean cruises, soarin'?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 21, 2013 10:05 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:So my family's trip is coming up soon (March 16th) and we'll be hopping aboard one of the cruiseliners. Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what the standard stops are aboard one of the ships? I believe my dad told me that we'll be stopping in Nassau, which would be totally awesome because I would love to soak in some culture and genuine caribbean food.
I would guess there should be an itinerary online that you could check isn't there? You might want to head off the beaten path in any of the ports though if you want any sort of genuine experience. Most of the ports are super touristy :(

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 21, 2013 10:22 pm

But isn't that what people love about cruises. :D

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Tue 22, 2013 12:13 am

Wizzard419 wrote:But isn't that what people love about cruises. :D
Not me! D:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 22, 2013 9:20 am

Amy wrote:
TikiTikiRoom wrote:So my family's trip is coming up soon (March 16th) and we'll be hopping aboard one of the cruiseliners. Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what the standard stops are aboard one of the ships? I believe my dad told me that we'll be stopping in Nassau, which would be totally awesome because I would love to soak in some culture and genuine caribbean food.
I would guess there should be an itinerary online that you could check isn't there? You might want to head off the beaten path in any of the ports though if you want any sort of genuine experience. Most of the ports are super touristy :(
You have to be SUPER careful, though, just how far off the beaten path you venture. Tourists make an easy target for crime, unfortunately. Definitely don't shop at the first place you see, but don't wander too far, either.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Wed 23, 2013 4:32 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:
You have to be SUPER careful, though, just how far off the beaten path you venture. Tourists make an easy target for crime, unfortunately. Definitely don't shop at the first place you see, but don't wander too far, either.
You are correct! I saw a warning somewhere saying that one should avoid a certain section of Nassau at night due to crime. Like I'd let that stop me. I'll put on my luchador mask and scare everyone away!