Weird and Odd Happenings at the Parks

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Weird and Odd Happenings at the Parks

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 18, 2013 8:24 pm

JenMuse wrote:I've actually spent a day on two separate trips (2 years apart) in the MK infirmary, where Debi the angel RN from New York took excellent care of me. I hate to admit it but one of those times, I did "cause a scene."

It was the last day of a trip and we were just hitting the MK for shopping and last minute favorite attractions (Country Bears had just re-opened that day), but on the drive to the park I got the first sign of a migraine. I told the fam to go on and that having taken my meds, I'd be ok at the TTC, just resting and drinking water in the shade on a bench. They went, Dad most reluctantly of all. But my meds didn't keep up with the migraine (and the TTC doesn't have first aid) so I hopped a ferry to the park with the intention of walking to first aid. Couldn't make it, I sometimes get tunnel vision with my migraines and this one had it which makes walking in a crowd rather difficult. Got to Town Hall Guest Relations and waited my turn for a cast member, but since one of my migraine symptoms is the inability to speak coherently, I had a very hard time making myself understood (which in turn was frustrating and made me cry as the pain kicked in) and was pretty quickly surrounded by concerned staff and EMTs (migraine presents an awful lot like stroke and someone was clearly trained to recognize strokes as the EMTs were there in less than 2 minutes). I was able to convince them I didn't need to go to a hospital (showed one of the EMTs my migraine prescription); so, they wheeled me swiftly to first aid where the staff immediately dimmed the lights as much as possible for me and put me in a bed in the far corner (quietest spot). Debi brought me cool towels and was fantastic.

Every CM I talked to (or more accurately mumbled incoherently at) was soooooo nice and concerned. I was embarrassed to be making a scene but grateful for the kindness. I imagine the other guests who witnessed it must have thought me a total drama queen. I want to tell them, that was nothing - they shoulda seen me on the flight home...changing clothes every 20 mins because I had gotten vomit on the last outfit.

Not my best day ever.
What a horrible day! I wouldn't categorize that as "making a scene" so much as being the center of attention. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 18, 2013 8:49 pm

I would have to agree with you JenMuse ~ Disney CMs are really great and definitely act swiftly when it is called for. Sorry you had such a miserable day, but glad you were able to rest and get some palliative care at the first aid station.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 18, 2013 9:42 pm

JenMuse wrote:I've actually spent a day on two separate trips (2 years apart) in the MK infirmary, where Debi the angel RN from New York took excellent care of me. I hate to admit it but one of those times, I did "cause a scene."

It was the last day of a trip and we were just hitting the MK for shopping and last minute favorite attractions (Country Bears had just re-opened that day), but on the drive to the park I got the first sign of a migraine. I told the fam to go on and that having taken my meds, I'd be ok at the TTC, just resting and drinking water in the shade on a bench. They went, Dad most reluctantly of all. But my meds didn't keep up with the migraine (and the TTC doesn't have first aid) so I hopped a ferry to the park with the intention of walking to first aid. Couldn't make it, I sometimes get tunnel vision with my migraines and this one had it which makes walking in a crowd rather difficult. Got to Town Hall Guest Relations and waited my turn for a cast member, but since one of my migraine symptoms is the inability to speak coherently, I had a very hard time making myself understood (which in turn was frustrating and made me cry as the pain kicked in) and was pretty quickly surrounded by concerned staff and EMTs (migraine presents an awful lot like stroke and someone was clearly trained to recognize strokes as the EMTs were there in less than 2 minutes). I was able to convince them I didn't need to go to a hospital (showed one of the EMTs my migraine prescription); so, they wheeled me swiftly to first aid where the staff immediately dimmed the lights as much as possible for me and put me in a bed in the far corner (quietest spot). Debi brought me cool towels and was fantastic.

Every CM I talked to (or more accurately mumbled incoherently at) was soooooo nice and concerned. I was embarrassed to be making a scene but grateful for the kindness. I imagine the other guests who witnessed it must have thought me a total drama queen. I want to tell them, that was nothing - they shoulda seen me on the flight home...changing clothes every 20 mins because I had gotten vomit on the last outfit.

Not my best day ever.
And guess what, Debi is still here! :) I see her when I have to go to first aid to pick up guests for van runs.

You didn't make a scene believe me. HERE is a scene.

So I was tasking in City Hall a couple days ago (aka there was no current position for me at park entry so to keep me from standing around they sent me to City Hall since I have a lot more experience than the newbies and I essentially was keeping an eye on them, to quote my coordinator). This guy comes in and starts RANTING to my coworker that his FREE haircut at Harmony was TERRIBLE and he wanted something done about it and he wanted a manager RIGHT THEN. His hair looked like a perfectly normal trim that I think any normal guy would be pleased with.

So this was us...

1. IT WAS A FREE HAIRCUT FOR GOD'S SAKE.

2. What did he expect the cosmetology/entertainment manager to do, glue his hair back on?!

3. It made me realise that people will complain about ANYTHING if they think they can get a freebie....

So yes, JenMuse... a migraine is no scene, my dear. :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 6:37 am

Wait...the guy was complaining about a FREE haircut? That is odd ~ people can be so strange :?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:37 am

Amy wrote:Wait...the guy was complaining about a FREE haircut? That is odd ~ people can be so strange :?
Give the guy a massive shot of Vitamin D, tell him it's hair-growth serum, give him a coupon for a free Mickey ice cream bar, and tell him thanks. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 11:38 am

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Wait...the guy was complaining about a FREE haircut? That is odd ~ people can be so strange :?
Give the guy a massive shot of Vitamin D, tell him it's hair-growth serum, give him a coupon for a free Mickey ice cream bar, and tell him thanks. :D
It was hilarious. They waited for over 20 minutes for the cosmetology manager to come back from the costuming building - a whole backstage bus ride away! - and I never heard the verdict. I'm hoping the guy went :shock: and was like "YOU CRAZY!!"

You'd also be amazed how many people lose their strollers and then holler "stolen" when a quick call to the area where it was left finds it. :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 11:40 am

I am curious...how did he get a free haircut to begin with?

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Mar Tue 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Soarin08 wrote: And guess what, Debi is still here! :) I see her when I have to go to first aid to pick up guests for van runs.

You didn't make a scene believe me. HERE is a scene.

So I was tasking in City Hall a couple days ago (aka there was no current position for me at park entry so to keep me from standing around they sent me to City Hall since I have a lot more experience than the newbies and I essentially was keeping an eye on them, to quote my coordinator). This guy comes in and starts RANTING to my coworker that his FREE haircut at Harmony was TERRIBLE and he wanted something done about it and he wanted a manager RIGHT THEN. His hair looked like a perfectly normal trim that I think any normal guy would be pleased with.

So this was us...

1. IT WAS A FREE HAIRCUT FOR GOD'S SAKE.

2. What did he expect the cosmetology/entertainment manager to do, glue his hair back on?!

3. It made me realise that people will complain about ANYTHING if they think they can get a freebie....

So yes, JenMuse... a migraine is no scene, my dear. :)
Oh do tell Debi how wonderful she is from me next time you see her!

And ooooohhhh mmmy, what kind of crazy complains about a FREE haircut? Yikes! When people get upset about something that absolutely cannot be repaired, I have to wonder what they are really upset about...cause the hair cut anger makes no sense at all.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
It was hilarious. They waited for over 20 minutes for the cosmetology manager to come back from the costuming building - a whole backstage bus ride away! - and I never heard the verdict. I'm hoping the guy went :shock: and was like "YOU CRAZY!!"

You'd also be amazed how many people lose their strollers and then holler "stolen" when a quick call to the area where it was left finds it. :roll:
I would have brought him back to Harmony...sat him down...and whipped out the electric clippers. :twisted:

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 20, 2013 5:45 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I would have brought him back to Harmony...sat him down...and whipped out the electric clippers. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Amy wrote:I am curious...how did he get a free haircut to begin with?
That is a question I don't know the answer to... Iikely some form of unnecessary but given compensation for something else that p*ssed him off.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Wed 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Oh yeah and the guy yesterday who was in City Hall ranting about getting pulled over for speeding at the MK auto plaza. YEAH LIKE WE CAN FIX THE DECISION OF THE ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF MORON. -rant rant rant- :twisted:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Wed 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Oh yeah and the guy yesterday who was in City Hall ranting about getting pulled over for speeding at the MK auto plaza. YEAH LIKE WE CAN FIX THE DECISION OF THE ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF MORON. -rant rant rant- :twisted:
The OCSCO pulling people over on Disney property is actually something I've started to notice happening over the past few years. I've seen them hiding enough times on Epcot Resorts Blvd, World Drive, and one or two other places. I can understand frustration, but ranting in city hall will not accomplish anything on that.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 8:48 am

Len90 wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Oh yeah and the guy yesterday who was in City Hall ranting about getting pulled over for speeding at the MK auto plaza. YEAH LIKE WE CAN FIX THE DECISION OF THE ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF MORON. -rant rant rant- :twisted:
The OCSCO pulling people over on Disney property is actually something I've started to notice happening over the past few years. I've seen them hiding enough times on Epcot Resorts Blvd, World Drive, and one or two other places. I can understand frustration, but ranting in city hall will not accomplish anything on that.
Don't you know? Disney controls everything in Orlando! It's their fault if the weather is bad, if someone goes on an attraction in spite of warnings against his/her medical condition, and the police are in their pocketbooks, too. Disney is ALL-POWERFUL

</end sarcasm> :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Fri 29, 2013 5:28 am

Len90 wrote:
They need to get over it. Posted speed limits are just that- the posted law. Using the dumb tourist excuse won't get you out of it. :roll: Orange County has been great about cracking down on these idiots who think it is perfectly fine to drive above the speed limit. I don't care if people are on vacation and supposedly aren't thinking. Would they pull that crap at home? The answer is of course sure they would but there would be no Disney people to scream at over it.