Old Key West

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Old Key West

Post by cy1229 » Mar Fri 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Belle1082 wrote: We rented the points through DVC by Resale and it worked out great. We really had no problems at all.
For our next trip, we are going to try a different resort - just to mix it up a bit. Our order is:
1-Bay Lake Tower
2- Wilderness Resort
3- Beach Club
4- Boardwalk

We will see what is actually available. Would love to stay at BLT mainly for the location and being in walking distance of MK and on the monorail line. My hesitation is the lack of theme, but the location is stellar. Who knows though because I know it is incredibly hard to get into that resort. It is really fun to do the DVC by resale in order to check out all of these DVC resorts in case down the line we do buy it eventually. That way we will know exactly the kind of home resort we are buying into and know what we like and don't like about the others.
It works for us having a large group and all being able to stay together - especially to help with the little ones.
OKW was definitely an incredible resort and the rooms were HUGE, but it is also fun to try out different resorts and have those different experiences. So far I've stayed at 5 different resorts...hopefully that number will grow! :-)
We stayed at BLT in a dedicated 2BR in October 2012. I have photos in my trip report. I haven't actually seen the condos at OKW so I can't compare directly, but I will tell you the 2BR at BLT for the 9 of us was rather cramped-feeling. You can't beat the location, and TOTW Lounge is really nice. But I don't think we'll be back because it was just such a small place.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 01, 2013 12:37 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Belle1082 wrote: We rented the points through DVC by Resale and it worked out great. We really had no problems at all.
For our next trip, we are going to try a different resort - just to mix it up a bit. Our order is:
1-Bay Lake Tower
2- Wilderness Resort
3- Beach Club
4- Boardwalk

We will see what is actually available. Would love to stay at BLT mainly for the location and being in walking distance of MK and on the monorail line. My hesitation is the lack of theme, but the location is stellar. Who knows though because I know it is incredibly hard to get into that resort. It is really fun to do the DVC by resale in order to check out all of these DVC resorts in case down the line we do buy it eventually. That way we will know exactly the kind of home resort we are buying into and know what we like and don't like about the others.
It works for us having a large group and all being able to stay together - especially to help with the little ones.
OKW was definitely an incredible resort and the rooms were HUGE, but it is also fun to try out different resorts and have those different experiences. So far I've stayed at 5 different resorts...hopefully that number will grow! :-)
We stayed at BLT in a dedicated 2BR in October 2012. I have photos in my trip report. I haven't actually seen the condos at OKW so I can't compare directly, but I will tell you the 2BR at BLT for the 9 of us was rather cramped-feeling. You can't beat the location, and TOTW Lounge is really nice. But I don't think we'll be back because it was just such a small place.
All of the rooms at OKW are a good bit larger than any of the other DVC resorts...or Disney resorts period. The only place I have stayed at that can compare in terms of roominess is Shades of Green.

From my experience and research here are the different square footage numbers for studios at the DVC resorts. Note that AKV has two types...Value and Standard.

OKW - 390
BWV - 359
VWL - 356
SSR - 355
BCV - 356
AKV - 316/365
BLT - 300

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Wow ~ the BLT rooms are small then. I seem to recall the Value resorts are around 260 square feet, so 300 isn't all that much bigger :shock:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Tue 02, 2013 7:06 am

Amy wrote:Wow ~ the BLT rooms are small then. I seem to recall the Value resorts are around 260 square feet, so 300 isn't all that much bigger :shock:
Yeah, and when you put a sleeper sofa, queen sized bed, table, chairs, kitchenette, rest room... well you get the idea. BLT is clearly built for people who value location over everything else.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Tue 02, 2013 2:31 pm

yeah...the BLT rooms are very narrow...which is probably where they lose the square footage

the way the studios at OKW are so spacious is due to being in a pentagonal shape

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Fri 05, 2013 9:53 am

Super frustrated! All of our picks for DVC are unavailable. The only ones we could do for that specific week are OKW and AKL. Not that those are bad, but we were really hoping to stay somewhere closer to the parks - either by foot or monorail. Darn!

We might end up doing the Wilderness Lodge and just booking two rooms instead of a suite. We'll see though.
Anyone else run into these problems?!?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Super frustrated! All of our picks for DVC are unavailable. The only ones we could do for that specific week are OKW and AKL. Not that those are bad, but we were really hoping to stay somewhere closer to the parks - either by foot or monorail. Darn!

We might end up doing the Wilderness Lodge and just booking two rooms instead of a suite. We'll see though.
Bummer :( When are you planning on going? During a super busy time of year? Are you right at the outside of the time frame for booking? Maybe something will open up if you keep checking?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Mon 08, 2013 8:45 am

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:Super frustrated! All of our picks for DVC are unavailable. The only ones we could do for that specific week are OKW and AKL. Not that those are bad, but we were really hoping to stay somewhere closer to the parks - either by foot or monorail. Darn!

Bummer :( When are you planning on going? During a super busy time of year? Are you right at the outside of the time frame for booking? Maybe something will open up if you keep checking?
We are planning on going the last week of Food and Wine, so the run is at the end of that week. We should have known! Last year, we went the week before that - halloween week - and that week seemed pretty busy as well. I feel like these days - no matter when you go - things are always so busy!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 08, 2013 9:29 am

From what I have noticed...the DVC resorts are most full during otherwise slow times of the year. This is because DVC owners tend to take their trips when they know the crowds will be lighter. Also...whenever there is anything special going on at Epcot...the Epcot Resorts are almost impossible to get unless you book it at the 11 month mark. Most DVC owners also tend to take long weekend vacations as well...so if your dates are more flexible...you could get in during the middle of the week.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Mon 08, 2013 1:57 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:From what I have noticed...the DVC resorts are most full during otherwise slow times of the year. This is because DVC owners tend to take their trips when they know the crowds will be lighter. Also...whenever there is anything special going on at Epcot...the Epcot Resorts are almost impossible to get unless you book it at the 11 month mark. Most DVC owners also tend to take long weekend vacations as well...so if your dates are more flexible...you could get in during the middle of the week.
All really good points!!! I know we shouldn't complain since we don't actually own DVC, but we are really trying to learn from every trip we go on, especially with little ones, and make the most of our time and do what makes sense for our group. Hopefully we can make something happen.
I am torn because I think if we book the two rooms at Wilderness we will shorten our trip and only stay for 6 nights instead of 8. But if we stay at OKW, we will stay the full 8 nights. It is tough because if we stay closer to the monorail and MK, we might maximize the time we are actually there and maybe able to get more in if we cut down on travel time. But I always feel like the longer I can stay, the better. The greedy disney lover in me! lol

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:From what I have noticed...the DVC resorts are most full during otherwise slow times of the year. This is because DVC owners tend to take their trips when they know the crowds will be lighter. Also...whenever there is anything special going on at Epcot...the Epcot Resorts are almost impossible to get unless you book it at the 11 month mark. Most DVC owners also tend to take long weekend vacations as well...so if your dates are more flexible...you could get in during the middle of the week.
All really good points!!! I know we shouldn't complain since we don't actually own DVC, but we are really trying to learn from every trip we go on, especially with little ones, and make the most of our time and do what makes sense for our group. Hopefully we can make something happen.
I am torn because I think if we book the two rooms at Wilderness we will shorten our trip and only stay for 6 nights instead of 8. But if we stay at OKW, we will stay the full 8 nights. It is tough because if we stay closer to the monorail and MK, we might maximize the time we are actually there and maybe able to get more in if we cut down on travel time. But I always feel like the longer I can stay, the better. The greedy disney lover in me! lol
That is a dilemma! I would definitely try to go for the extra day or two. It always seems like you need just a little more time in the parks! Hopefully something opens up for you where you would like to stay and where you can stay just a bit longer :D

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Mon 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:
That is a dilemma! I would definitely try to go for the extra day or two. It always seems like you need just a little more time in the parks! Hopefully something opens up for you where you would like to stay and where you can stay just a bit longer :D
I'm with you Amy!!

I just feel like when you are REALLY on vacation, you need a couple days to really let it sink in and if you don't stay very long, by the time you are relaxed, you are on your way out!
I'm always feeling like longer is better, but I also don't have two little ones under the age of 4 that I am in charge of and how exhausting 8 days of that can be! lol
But we will see what happens. Maybe I can get over only being there for 6 nights since I'm going to DL in June too! :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh my, adding in children would change the dynamic. They could be pretty tired after 8 days. I think you have the right attitude, 6 days isn't so bad when you have the DL trip :D
And I completely agree about needing a few vacation days to really relax. We had one glorious WDW vacation that was 12 days long. We didn't feel rushed, we could relax knowing we could always come back to a show or attraction another time or day if we wanted to...it was wonderful :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Mon 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Belle, I know the desire to be close to a park, but OKW and AKL are indeed nice. Imagine how much fun it would be if you had a Savannah View condo!!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:43 am

cy1229 wrote:Belle, I know the desire to be close to a park, but OKW and AKL are indeed nice. Imagine how much fun it would be if you had a Savannah View condo!!!
You are so right! We stayed at OKW last November and it was beautiful. So calm and peaceful...we had a great balcony view of a pond and really enjoyed the space.
And the Savannah view at AKL would be incredible! But I'm always torn with spending that kind of money when we really aren't in our rooms that much. Maybe we would be if we stayed there!
It is just tough when you have little ones who might need a nap or just have to go back to the room for a bit during the day. I swear, to leave wherever you are in the park - walk to your bus - wait for the bus - the bus ride to your stop - all of that can take up to an hour. And that is a lot of time, especially when you have to do it all again to get back to the park.
If it was just adults, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but because there are a lot of times we need to go back and forth, it gets taxing.
I know the transportation is STELLAR for what it is and how well Disney does it, but it can be tough on the little ones.

Guess we might just have to buy into DVC ourselves. ;-) If only it were that simple! :-)