In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Old Key West

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Tue 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

We are leaving on our Disney Vacation in only 18 days!

Question for those of you who have stayed at OKW - is there a specific area where we should request a room? Like an area that is close to the front or bus stops or anything like that? Might be nice to know ahead of time so we could request at check in. Let me know! :-)

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Oct Tue 09, 2012 12:58 pm

All of OKW is very nice but it's quite a hike if you're further back. So you might want to be closer to the front.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 09, 2012 1:03 pm

DW and I requested a room close to a quiet pool...just so we could relax at a pool when we wanted to. We stayed in Building 56, which is near the back, but a short walk to a bus stop. Personally, we enjoyed the walk between our room and the bus stop at the main building. OKW is a beautiful resort and walking around it can be very relaxing. There is also a playground next to building 56...for small kids to play on during the day.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Tue 09, 2012 1:58 pm

I have found the AllEars website really helpful because they have a LOT of reviews, and most of them are really recent. It should help you figure out where you want to request a room. Keep in mind, OKW is so big, it has its own shuttle system. You might want to consider renting a car for this reason. BUT... they supposedly have the largest condos in all of the DVC properties. Good choice!

http://allears.net/acc/faq_okw.htm
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Oct Tue 09, 2012 2:02 pm

We had a 2 bedroom and it was massive, plenty of room and we had a private patio as well!! It's a great resort but a car is probably good if you're staying further in the back.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Oct Tue 09, 2012 2:07 pm

The rooms are HUGE! The studios are nearly twice the size of other DVC studios on property.

I stayed there a few years back and loved it. It's nice and quiet. The buses ran pretty frequently when I was there. Rarely waited more than five minutes. And where ever you are the ride isn't so long. The last stop before the hospitality house is on Miller's Road. So there's that. I stayed on Old Turtle Pond Road. It was the stop before Miller's.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Mon 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Enjoy your vacation. Take lots of photo's :D :wink: :goofy:

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Wed 24, 2012 9:54 am

Goofyfan wrote:Enjoy your vacation. Take lots of photo's :D :wink: :goofy:
Oh I will! Not to mention, for my birthday last week I got a really nice SLR camera and I'm going to go NUTS taking pictures of EVERYTHING!

According to everyone, it sounds like getting as close to the Hospitality House is the best way to go for location at OKW. Hopefully our resort won't be too crowded and we will get around there near the action and the bus stop!

3 DAYS!

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by figmentaholic » Nov Sun 04, 2012 11:37 am

Yes we stayed in OKW one year when we had a large group. It was great not only for our group but when we invited some local friends over one night there was plenty of room in the living room.

BTW even being close to a bus stop, remember the place is huge and it still might take a long time to get out of there because they make A LOT of stops. That was the ONLY complaint I had about it.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Thu 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I realize I'm a little late, but I can attest to the quality and size of OKW. Someone mentioned further up that it's quite a walk if you stay further back in the resort. They're RIGHT! Try and get a room closer to the main pool and lobby. The only complaint I have is how far away it is from any of the parks, it's down in the lower corner of WDW. However, being fairly close to Downtown Disney ain't so bad!
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't think I ever responded after our trip happened, but I was very pleased with OKW! Of course right off the bat I cannot remember which area we stayed, but it was fantastic. It was still pretty far from the Hospitality House, but honestly we didn't have much need to be close to it. We took the bus from the bus stop very close to our room and it worked out just fine. Our room was HUGE! We had the two bedroom and it was a great space for all 8 of us! We also loved the balcony and how beautiful our view was of the water - so peaceful. It really was a great option for our big family and really nice to have us all in one place together.
We are going back in November and renting DVC points again....and hopefully trying out another two bedroom DVC. We'll see what is available and then start the plans! Yay!
Thanks everyone for your helpful information about OKW! I certainly hope to go back again someday!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Belle1082 wrote:I don't think I ever responded after our trip happened, but I was very pleased with OKW! Of course right off the bat I cannot remember which area we stayed, but it was fantastic. It was still pretty far from the Hospitality House, but honestly we didn't have much need to be close to it. We took the bus from the bus stop very close to our room and it worked out just fine. Our room was HUGE! We had the two bedroom and it was a great space for all 8 of us! We also loved the balcony and how beautiful our view was of the water - so peaceful. It really was a great option for our big family and really nice to have us all in one place together.
We are going back in November and renting DVC points again....and hopefully trying out another two bedroom DVC. We'll see what is available and then start the plans! Yay!
Thanks everyone for your helpful information about OKW! I certainly hope to go back again someday!
Sounds like it worked out really well. Did you end up renting the DVC points through an agency, or through an individual?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:I don't think I ever responded after our trip happened, but I was very pleased with OKW! Of course right off the bat I cannot remember which area we stayed, but it was fantastic. It was still pretty far from the Hospitality House, but honestly we didn't have much need to be close to it. We took the bus from the bus stop very close to our room and it worked out just fine. Our room was HUGE! We had the two bedroom and it was a great space for all 8 of us! We also loved the balcony and how beautiful our view was of the water - so peaceful. It really was a great option for our big family and really nice to have us all in one place together.
Sounds like it worked out really well. Did you end up renting the DVC points through an agency, or through an individual?
I was just wondering the same thing, and also wondering if you had other DVC properties in mind, or if you're going to stay at OKW again. They're the oldest condos, but I also hear they're the largest, of the DVC properties.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 28, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm so glad you loved OKW...it is our favorite DVC resort! I want to say that the 2BR Villas have hardwood floors since they have been remodeled...making them even nicer. And yes...I think they have the largest room layouts of the DVC resorts as well. I think there are only two things that would prevent DW and I from staying there on every future trip...1) wanting to stay in an Epcot DVC resort during F&W or F&G...2) wanting to stay in BLT for a night or two once we take DS so we can be at MK for rope drop easily.

But yeah...you just can't beat the overall charm of OKW and the quietness it has in contrast to the parks...allowing you to get away whenever you want and feel like you are at a resort in the Keys.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Fri 29, 2013 4:06 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:
I was just wondering the same thing, and also wondering if you had other DVC properties in mind, or if you're going to stay at OKW again. They're the oldest condos, but I also hear they're the largest, of the DVC properties.
We rented the points through DVC by Resale and it worked out great. We really had no problems at all.
For our next trip, we are going to try a different resort - just to mix it up a bit. Our order is:
1-Bay Lake Tower
2- Wilderness Resort
3- Beach Club
4- Boardwalk

We will see what is actually available. Would love to stay at BLT mainly for the location and being in walking distance of MK and on the monorail line. My hesitation is the lack of theme, but the location is stellar. Who knows though because I know it is incredibly hard to get into that resort. It is really fun to do the DVC by resale in order to check out all of these DVC resorts in case down the line we do buy it eventually. That way we will know exactly the kind of home resort we are buying into and know what we like and don't like about the others.
It works for us having a large group and all being able to stay together - especially to help with the little ones.
OKW was definitely an incredible resort and the rooms were HUGE, but it is also fun to try out different resorts and have those different experiences. So far I've stayed at 5 different resorts...hopefully that number will grow! :-)