Old Key West

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Old Key West

Post by Belle1082 » May Thu 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I apologize if anyone has spoken about this in another thread but I was just wondering if anyone had opinions either way about Old Key West. My family and I are staying there in October and I honestly know NOTHING about it or what people think of it, so I'm curious to hear from others who have stayed there!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Old Key West

Post by Alacrity » May Thu 03, 2012 3:07 pm

OKW is a favorite of my wife and I. We are DVC members in this is my wife's home resort. The rooms tend a little bigger than some of the other resorts though it is a little out of the way. That is, it's a little distant from the parks. It is usually quiet which we like. I would recommend requesting a room either near the Hospitality House or near the Peninsular bus stop. The Hospitality House especially if you plan to spend time at the main pool. The Peninsular bus stop is usually the first stop when a bus returns to the resort. it is also a short walk to the HH (which is usually the last bus stop). Olivias restaurant is pretty good, especially the crab cakes, conch fritters and Key Lime tart.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Thu 03, 2012 3:46 pm

One of my DS's favorites!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » May Thu 03, 2012 4:19 pm

I hope to see good things. We have never been before. looking foward to the comments :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Goofyfan wrote:I hope to see good things. We have never been before. looking foward to the comments :goofy:
Me too! Love hearing others' opinions on places we likely will never be able to stay...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Thu 03, 2012 8:45 pm

It's very pretty. My roommates have DVC so we're trying to stay there at some point. I don't visit it often and I should.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » May Fri 04, 2012 8:57 am

isnt that the other dvc that has boat service to DTD?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Fri 04, 2012 10:56 am

Yes. Saratoga, Old Key West, and Port Orleans all do.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Mon 07, 2012 12:29 am

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:I hope to see good things. We have never been before. looking foward to the comments :goofy:
Me too! Love hearing others' opinions on places we likely will never be able to stay...
You know, Amy, it's really not that expensive if you rent points for your stay rather than booking directly through Disney. A studio in the off season is only 10 pts. a night - Sunday through Thursday. If you rent at $12 a point, that's only $120 for the room, which is cheaper than the moderates. You might want to look into it sometime. DVC rooms are nice, and OKW is a beautiful resort. :)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » May Mon 07, 2012 8:47 am

momeja wrote:
Amy wrote:
You know, Amy, it's really not that expensive if you rent points for your stay rather than booking directly through Disney. A studio in the off season is only 10 pts. a night - Sunday through Thursday. If you rent at $12 a point, that's only $120 for the room, which is cheaper than the moderates. You might want to look into it sometime. DVC rooms are nice, and OKW is a beautiful resort. :)
Yeah - that is actually what we are doing. We are renting someone's DVC points in order to get a two bedroom suite. It will be so nice for us since we have 6 adults, a 3 year old and a 9 month old. It makes such a difference and is also fun to have everyone stay close together.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 07, 2012 9:09 am

Hmmm, guess we might have to look into that one day momeja....never realized that renting the DVC points was so affordable...

momeja

Post by momeja » May Mon 07, 2012 9:39 am

Amy wrote:Hmmm, guess we might have to look into that one day momeja....never realized that renting the DVC points was so affordable...
It's a great alternative. Booking DVC rooms directly through Disney can be very expensive, but renting points can be pretty reasonable.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 07, 2012 9:58 am

momeja wrote:
Amy wrote:Hmmm, guess we might have to look into that one day momeja....never realized that renting the DVC points was so affordable...
It's a great alternative. Booking DVC rooms directly through Disney can be very expensive, but renting points can be pretty reasonable.
Any tips on where to find reliable sources for renting. I always worry about getting into some shady deal where someone "rents" you points but they don't actually have the authority to do so. Kind of like friends of mine who bought Disney tickets on-line through ebay for their kids. They didn't have any problems but I would have thought it was worth the risk to save about $20/ticket...

momeja

Post by momeja » May Mon 07, 2012 10:08 am

I'd check out http://www.dvcrequest.com/. The man who runs it, David, is very reputable and is a frequent contributor on Mouseowners, one of the DVC chat boards. I know people who've rented from him and they've never had any problems. Please let him know that I sent you if you rent from him. :)

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Mon 07, 2012 10:26 am

Or I live with people who have DVC, never use the points, and would likely be willing to spare...