Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Re: Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

Post by figmentaholic » Jul Tue 19, 2011 11:10 am

One thing that I am really into are the guidebooks and such from past years at Disney. I have one from 1986, the year I most likely went for the first time (it would have been 1985 or 1986 but I don't remember honestly, I know that is sacrilege to not remember my first trip, haha). And it it is REALLY cool to see everything that is different, the prices, the rides, just everything. That TOTALLY fascinates me.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Thu 21, 2011 12:41 pm

mindflipper wrote:...and like back then, you still have to pay for the long distance call to WDW. How nice it would had been all these years if they had a 1-800 for reservations...
I always thought it was a little snobby of WDW not to offer a toll free number. It was like they were saying "We are so great that if you really want to come here you'll have to pay for everything, including the phone call."
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Thu 21, 2011 12:52 pm

horizons1 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:...and like back then, you still have to pay for the long distance call to WDW. How nice it would had been all these years if they had a 1-800 for reservations...
I always thought it was a little snobby of WDW not to offer a toll free number. It was like they were saying "We are so great that if you really want to come here you'll have to pay for everything, including the phone call."
Amen! :roll: :mrgreen: :mickey:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Thu 21, 2011 1:38 pm

The pleasure of doing business with Disney "TAX"!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Aug Mon 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I have alway been a Disney parks fan. I remember buying all the park books back in the day. I may be dating myself! :D
Mark86

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Tue 09, 2011 8:21 am

Mark86 wrote:I have alway been a Disney parks fan. I remember buying all the park books back in the day. I may be dating myself! :D
You're still a young pup compared to some of the rest of us, Mark86. Anyway, wasn't the internet around when you were kid?

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Aug Thu 11, 2011 12:20 am

I think the internet started to blossom when I was finishing elementary school. I started with AOL dial up service.
Mark86

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Thu 11, 2011 8:18 am

Mark86 wrote:I think the internet started to blossom when I was finishing elementary school. I started with AOL dial up service.
LOL, I remember AOL! I remember a friend having it and when I saw it I was sooooooo underwhelmed with it that I never tried AOL myself and just decided to skip it.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Thu 11, 2011 10:32 am

mindflipper wrote:
Mark86 wrote:I think the internet started to blossom when I was finishing elementary school. I started with AOL dial up service.
LOL, I remember AOL! I remember a friend having it and when I saw it I was sooooooo underwhelmed with it that I never tried AOL myself and just decided to skip it.
You did not miss anything by skipping AOL mindflipper!!!

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Sun 28, 2011 8:14 am

I think that I am going to realy date myself. The first time that I went to Disney was with our High School Band back in 1979. This was when WDW only had the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom were not there yet. We Flew from Logan Airport in Boston because Manchester N.H. Airport wasn't there at the time. We flew down on the now defunct Eastern Airlines. We stayed at a Days inn because there were no Disney resorts used for larger groups. I remember A,B,C,D,E tickets that were used, and riding on attractions such as 20000 leagues, Mr. toads wild ride, If you had wings. Ahhhh. memories..... Been a Disney fan ever since. Without the net back then, the only Disney fix we could get was on Sunday nights watching the wonderful world of Disney on NBC (i think). :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 28, 2011 9:06 am

Goofyfan wrote:I think that I am going to realy date myself. The first time that I went to Disney was with our High School Band back in 1979. This was when WDW only had the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom were not there yet. We Flew from Logan Airport in Boston because Manchester N.H. Airport wasn't there at the time. We flew down on the now defunct Eastern Airlines. We stayed at a Days inn because there were no Disney resorts used for larger groups. I remember A,B,C,D,E tickets that were used, and riding on attractions such as 20000 leagues, Mr. toads wild ride, If you had wings. Ahhhh. memories..... Been a Disney fan ever since. Without the net back then, the only Disney fix we could get was on Sunday nights watching the wonderful world of Disney on NBC (i think). :goofy_bounce:
Wow ~ what great memories! Do you have any photos from the trip?

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Sun 28, 2011 5:01 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Mark86 wrote:I have alway been a Disney parks fan. I remember buying all the park books back in the day. I may be dating myself! :D
You're still a young pup compared to some of the rest of us, Mark86. Anyway, wasn't the internet around when you were kid?
Yeah, you guys are all just puppies compared to me! :lol:
I grew up on Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World of Disney on TV... not only before the internet, but even before computers!! Heck, personal computers didn't even start to hit the market until I had already graduated from High School!
As far as being a parks fan, then.... Well, I lived 3 blocks away from DL when I was a kid, but never got to go. Over the years, I always thought it might be nice to go to DL or WDW, but it wasn't high on my list of priorities because I just didn't fully grasp everything they were all about. The first time I ever went to a park was in 2006 when my sweetie finally talked me into going to WDW for our anniversary (those of you who know us already know the whole story...), and I've been hooked ever since. But I will say this: the internet is definitely a vital part of my whole Disney lifestyle now... especially this wonderful site and all the good friends we've made here! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Yeah, you guys are all just puppies compared to me! :lol:
I grew up on Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World of Disney on TV... not only before the internet, but even before computers!! Heck, personal computers didn't even start to hit the market until I had already graduated from High School!
As far as being a parks fan, then.... Well, I lived 3 blocks away from DL when I was a kid, but never got to go. Over the years, I always thought it might be nice to go to DL or WDW, but it wasn't high on my list of priorities because I just didn't fully grasp everything they were all about. The first time I ever went to a park was in 2006 when my sweetie finally talked me into going to WDW for our anniversary (those of you who know us already know the whole story...), and I've been hooked ever since. But I will say this: the internet is definitely a vital part of my whole Disney lifestyle now... especially this wonderful site and all the good friends we've made here! :D
Oh my goodness...you lived three blocks from DL when you were little and you never went?!?! :shock: AHHHHH!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Sun 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Amy wrote: Oh my goodness...you lived three blocks from DL when you were little and you never went?!?! :shock: AHHHHH!
I was a poor deprived child.... *sniffle*.... :( :wink:

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Sun 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:I think that I am going to realy date myself. The first time that I went to Disney was with our High School Band back in 1979. This was when WDW only had the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom were not there yet. We Flew from Logan Airport in Boston because Manchester N.H. Airport wasn't there at the time. We flew down on the now defunct Eastern Airlines. We stayed at a Days inn because there were no Disney resorts used for larger groups. I remember A,B,C,D,E tickets that were used, and riding on attractions such as 20000 leagues, Mr. toads wild ride, If you had wings. Ahhhh. memories..... Been a Disney fan ever since. Without the net back then, the only Disney fix we could get was on Sunday nights watching the wonderful world of Disney on NBC (i think). :goofy_bounce:
Wow ~ what great memories! Do you have any photos from the trip?
I had pictures that were taken on old cameras. one took a 126 cartridge and one that took a 110 cartridge. pictures were ruined from a flooded basement years ago. I wish that I still had them. My wife and I are heading back dow in February. (kids are grown and moved out. yay!!!) I think we have more fun than they do anyways.
:goofy_bounce: