Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

Post by horizons1 » Mar Thu 31, 2011 8:55 am

I thought this might be a fun subject. If you are old enough to remember a time without the Internet, were you a Disney park fan then and if so, how did you get info and express yourself?

I was in my late teens in the '80's so I was able to drive. Living in Southern California, my friends and I got annual passes and went to Disneyland almost every week. We subscribed to Disney News, which later became Disney Magazine, and this was how we got info on changes to the park.

My first trip to WDW was in 1989 and on that trip (as well as one in 1990) I videotaped extensively and that was how I got my attraction audio and park music fix between trips.

Sometimes I think we can take for granted the wealth of information and media accessible online. We are so lucky to have places like Subsonic Radio to go and get our daily dose of Disney. What are your thoughts or memories of this "simpler" time?
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 31, 2011 9:09 am

I was definitely a Disney Parks fan before the internet. Of course I remember my first trip as a 4 year old in 1986...but after that it was making sure we saw Disney On Ice every time it came through our town. That was probably the main way I kept the Disney Parks spirit alive...seeing the characters live and in person. Also, the Disney Channel helped a lot because shows in the 80s had more things about the parks in them because there was a lot going on. Another thing that kept the love alive was that pretty much every TV show on ABC in the 90s had their "Disney World" episodes. This gave people a chance to see the parks while still at home and to imagine yourself there.

The two best things the internet brought were message boards and audio file sharing. The first keeps everyone up to date on the happenings in the parks and the second puts you back on your favorite attractions when you close your eyes.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 31, 2011 9:59 am

Great topic horizons1! :D
I have been a Disney fan since I first was able to go to WDW when I was 6. I sent for the vacation planning VCR tapes as often as I was allowed. We went on our second WDW vacation when I was about 13. That is when I bought the official park album on cassette. I'm surprised I didn't wear it out listening to it! I also subscribed to the Disney Magazine for awhile.
You are right, we are definitely spoiled by the amount of information available online. I really appreciate youtube as a way to look back at attractions that are no longer around.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Thu 31, 2011 10:13 am

Amy wrote:Great topic horizons1! :D
I have been a Disney fan since I first was able to go to WDW when I was 6. I sent for the vacation planning VCR tapes as often as I was allowed. We went on our second WDW vacation when I was about 13. That is when I bought the official park album on cassette.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the planning videos. I have some VHS and some DVD, but probably started ordering those after the Internet just as a supplement.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Mar Thu 31, 2011 10:22 am

I was but it wasn't expressed until our first trip with the kids in 2001. I grew up with the Wonderful World of Disney and cherished our family's trip to WDW when I was a kid. After H. and I were married, we took a trip to WDW with his parents that was so awful, I said to him, "I know I can plan this better." So once we booked our family trip in early 2001, I began reading and planning. I discovered the 'net Disney after that trip.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Thu 31, 2011 10:34 am

Yes I was!! I remember reading about this big new Disney park in the Scholastic news we use to get weekly in school. I had to be in like 7 grade and they were building a park in Florida!! I think it was 1970. I read everything I could find on it. Remember then you had to find stuff in magazines, books, and on the Wonderful World of Disney. They had a whole show where Uncle Walt showed what the new park was gonna look like and all the plans he had!! I think as a kid is was the greatest thing I had scene next to the Moon Landing!

I finally got to go in 1975!! Even at 15 and with growing up in Coney Island it was the BEST PLACE on EARTH!!! While there my parents let me buy two Disney albums, one was the Electrical Parade and the other was Park and Attraction music and sounds. I think I wore them out, I remember I'd even play them at parties right along with Aerosmith and ACDC!! It was Disney and nobody ever complained!

After I moved to Florida I went to WDW 8 or 9 times a year. When ever any of my family came down to Ft Myers I was the tour guide!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 31, 2011 11:07 am

I had always been a Disney park fan before the internet; the internet just made it easier to find and communicate with other Disney park fans.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Thu 31, 2011 4:17 pm

I was definitely a fan when I was a kid before I even got around to touching a computer. Like mindflipper said, it makes it easier to find and communicate with other Disney park fans and it helps me feel like I'm in a second home with all the fans coming together.

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Fri 01, 2011 4:17 pm

I have been a Disney fan way before owning my first computer. The Internet does enhance the Disney experience though, especially because I am so far away from any of the parks.

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Apr Fri 01, 2011 6:41 pm

I've been Disney park fan long before the internet was even an idea.
I began being a fan when Disneyland was first announced.
Certain days after school the Mickey Mouse Club would come on.
But every Sunday evening, "The Wonderfull World of Color" would come on.
We would have our baths taken and ready for bed, so we wouldn't miss a thing, when it came on.
(Everyone neat and pretty, then on with the show").
Some times Walt would show off the plans for Disneyland.
What excitement, simply magical.
I wanted to go there sooooo bad. But that could never happen, Disneyland is on the other side of America.
Oh but it did finaly happen!
Just last year, my wife and I had our 30th year anniversary there. Dreams realy do come true!
(30 years earlier my wife and I honeymooned at Walt Disney World in 1980. We have been going to Walt Disney World, one, or two times a year since.)
Before the internet or cable, Disney would do specials on TV. There would always be a phone number to call, to get a FREE vhs tape of the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
I have every one of them.
Then when cable came to town, usualy during the summer (if I remember correctly) there would be a week of Disney progams for free. It was advertisement for the Disney Chanel. Again there would be a phone number to call for a free vhs tape.

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Apr Fri 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I was always a huge Disney Fan but I can't say I was really into the parks until just a few years ago. My parents always made the parks seem like an impossible dream vacation. I did get to go just once as a child but I thought I would never go again so I didn't really bother to obsess over it. My second trip was my honeymoon and we went again a couple of years after that, then by the time my son was born we had the means to travel quite a bit so we began making more frequent trips. It wasn't until I started working at the Disney Store that I really started looking for Disney Parks info online. I wanted to know as much as possible so that I could help people plan when I sold them tickets. Most people would just sell the tickets but I had to let my guests know what rides would be closed and all the latest Disney news. I loved to see people get more and more excited about their trip! After the store closed I found comfort online being able to stay connected to all things Disney parks. It is always nice to know you are not the only "grown up" who spends every waking moment wondering what is going on in that magical world of escape.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Apr Sat 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Definitely! My parents took me for the first time when I was only 2 and I have been obsessed ever since!
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Sat 02, 2011 5:55 pm

ericpabear wrote:I wanted to go there sooooo bad. But that could never happen, Disneyland is on the other side of America.
Oh but it did finaly happen!
Just last year, my wife and I had our 30th year anniversary there. Dreams realy do come true!
So you watched Disneyland on TV in the 50's as it was being constructed but didn't go until last year? Wow!

TTA Traveler
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by TTA Traveler » Apr Sun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

The internet was around (93-98), but I'd never been on it.. let alone a computer at that time (born in '88). Does that still count? :mickey:
  • I remember I would watch those WDW vacation episodes that ABC would do for their shows. Full House and Family Matters were my favorites as a kid, and I would watch those religiously. :lol:
  • I also remember always stopping at rest areas off the interstate and grabbing those WDW pamphlets while on family road trips (I still do :oops: ).
.. now arriving at Space Mountain, Tomorrowland's gateway to the galaxy..

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 06, 2011 12:01 pm

I remember back when the only way to get a true Disney fix online was to go to the official website and request a trip price. I would request at least a dozen different combinations to see which one I liked the best. :)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)