Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Were You A Disney Park Fan Before The Internet?

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Goofyfan wrote:
Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:I think that I am going to realy date myself. The first time that I went to Disney was with our High School Band back in 1979. This was when WDW only had the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom were not there yet. We Flew from Logan Airport in Boston because Manchester N.H. Airport wasn't there at the time. We flew down on the now defunct Eastern Airlines. We stayed at a Days inn because there were no Disney resorts used for larger groups. I remember A,B,C,D,E tickets that were used, and riding on attractions such as 20000 leagues, Mr. toads wild ride, If you had wings. Ahhhh. memories..... Been a Disney fan ever since. Without the net back then, the only Disney fix we could get was on Sunday nights watching the wonderful world of Disney on NBC (i think). :goofy_bounce:
Wow ~ what great memories! Do you have any photos from the trip?
I had pictures that were taken on old cameras. one took a 126 cartridge and one that took a 110 cartridge. pictures were ruined from a flooded basement years ago. I wish that I still had them. My wife and I are heading back dow in February. (kids are grown and moved out. yay!!!) I think we have more fun than they do anyways.
:goofy_bounce:
Aww, that's too bad about the photos. I remember the 110 film but I don't know that I have heard of 126 film. Do you tell the kids you are going or after you get back?! ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Sun 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I know how you feel about the lost photos. I had to scan in all my old photos. Mine were from the old Disc camera.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Mon 29, 2011 6:37 pm

We do tell the kids when we go. (kind of rub it in a little) and they are very supportive and give us Disney Gift Cards. We will take them with us in a few years when they get established and earn more vacation time. But i like the way you think. :goofy_bounce:

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Mon 29, 2011 6:40 pm

mindflipper wrote:I know how you feel about the lost photos. I had to scan in all my old photos. Mine were from the old Disc camera.

Ahhhh. the old disc cameras. If I remember.... the discs held 15 photos. I forgot about the old discs. photography has taken such great strides.....

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 29, 2011 11:47 pm

Goofyfan wrote:
mindflipper wrote:I know how you feel about the lost photos. I had to scan in all my old photos. Mine were from the old Disc camera.

Ahhhh. the old disc cameras. If I remember.... the discs held 15 photos. I forgot about the old discs. photography has taken such great strides.....

Amen! If I had a digital camera back in 1990's when I went to Europe I would have taken thousands of photos instead of dozens...

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Tue 30, 2011 9:09 am

mindflipper wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:

Amen! If I had a digital camera back in 1990's when I went to Europe I would have taken thousands of photos instead of dozens...

And Much Cheaper...

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Still better than Polaroid. Here it is 2011 and they still only hold 10 shots.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 31, 2011 7:46 pm

horizons1 wrote:Still better than Polaroid. Here it is 2011 and they still only hold 10 shots.
LOL! Do you know they actually had planned to stop making it, and people were so upset they started to buy up film & cameras that the polariod business turned around and thus they still make it today instead of discontinuing it.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Wed 07, 2011 7:13 am

mindflipper wrote:
horizons1 wrote:Still better than Polaroid. Here it is 2011 and they still only hold 10 shots.
LOL! Do you know they actually had planned to stop making it, and people were so upset they started to buy up film & cameras that the polariod business turned around and thus they still make it today instead of discontinuing it.

Do you have to buy the film online. I haven't seen it in stores!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 07, 2011 8:45 am

Goofyfan wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Do you have to buy the film online. I haven't seen it in stores!
I know my local Target carries the film, but that may be different from store to store or even regionally. However, yes, you can buy the instant film online:

http://store.polaroid.com/products/0/35 ... stant_Film

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 11:23 am

I was a Disney fan long before internet and frankly don't know how I did it w/o internet LOL.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Feb Sun 05, 2012 6:08 am

Very late to the discussion, but I enjoyed the parks before I had internet access at home. But we didn't have anything to plan our trips with other than the planning VHS tapes and brochures they sent in the mail. So we didn't know much of anything about restaurants, extra things to do away from the parks (or in them), etc. The only in-park TS restaurant we ever ate at back in those days was Chefs de France.

I didn't get internet access at home until after I graduated from high school. I took 2 WDW trips after that (one immediately after; one roughly 3 years later), but it never dawned on me to look up Disney stuff online. I stumbled on one Disney forum in March 2005 on my lunch break, and while it didn't help me a lot with my June 2005 trip, it really changed the way I looked at the parks and vacation. To this day, I wouldn't know about half the yummy snacks, extra things, good TS meals, etc. if not for the internet. I make tentative souvenir shopping lists before I even go based on the pins site and such. I know I wouldn't take pics of my food and random things like trash cans if I hadn't read about other people doing it. :lol:

So I guess for me, while I liked the parks before, the internet turned me into an OCD planner, a huge fan of digital cameras, and a snack and TS fan. And it forced me to drastically up my souvenir budget! :donald:

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Feb Fri 10, 2012 9:44 am

I was a fan of Disney parks before Al Gore dreamed up the internet, yes. ;) My first trip was in 1979 when I was two years old and while I have vague memories of that, it still does pre-date the 'net!

Back then, there was no way to articulate the love beyond talking with friends and family, of course. Friends just went :roll: and the family was already going :ccat: about the parks anyway!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

redstomr63
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by redstomr63 » Feb Fri 10, 2012 11:46 am

Oh yes. Growing up in north Florida, we always took a trip twice a year during the 80's. The internet has only fueled the obsession to heights even I wasn't preparing for.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Mon 19, 2012 3:47 pm

redstomr63 wrote:Oh yes. Growing up in north Florida, we always took a trip twice a year during the 80's. The internet has only fueled the obsession to heights even I wasn't preparing for.

You Southern people have all the luck!!! :mrgreen: :wink: :goofy: