Nostalgia Land?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nostalgia Land?

Post by horizons1 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I have already been to Nostalgia Land!! It's in my head. I close my eyes while listening to Subsonic and I'm there!
I loaded the Walter Cronkite version of Spaceship Earth and listened to it as I rode through recently. Maybe I could load up Horizons and go sit in that pavilion for 20 minutes. :lol:
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 5:47 pm

mindflipper wrote:And yet they did the record/6 CD set for DL's 50th, and they sold so well (given they were a limited edition) that they came out when a second set that wasn't limited. Maybe do some of those DVD's of extinct attractions as part of the WDW's 50th maybe....
It takes a lot more work to do a DVD/video release than an audio one, but most of that stuff was released previously throughout the years so it was all ready and mixed. All they had to do was make up box art and a record that few people had the equipment on hand to listen to and they were good to go. I almost forgot, look at the "Disney Treasures" collection, apparently they weren't that hot of a seller and have since been discontinued.

I actually wonder how much they video document their attractions? Other than a rider's perspective they may not keep much else in video format (photos are a different thing if they ever needed to rebuild after a fire).

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Brian845 wrote:Rather than a physical ride, I think it would be cool if the preserved them as virtual reality rides. I've seen the video of the recreation of DW's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and it's pretty impressive, although not complete. Disney has the resources to do it justice, and they could set it up as like a mini simulator, maybe at DisneyQuest or something.
Now THAT would make me want to go to DisneyQuest!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Actually they've filmed those attractions more than you may think. They used to chop up and use it parts for shows on Disney channel (before it became the Hannah Montana channel), use in adverts, and to use for that in-resort TV channel that's nothing but disney park adverts 24/7/365. The footage exists for many things, its just a question of compiling it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney somewhere doesn't have a "video archivist" that stores and maintains this kind of stuff.
Actually they've may have filmed those attractions more than you may think. They used to chop up and use attraction videos into snippet parts for shows on Disney channel (before it became the Hannah Montana channel), use in adverts, and to use for that in-resort TV channel that's nothing but disney park adverts 24/7/365. The footage exists for many things, its just a question of compiling it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney somewhere doesn't have a "video archivist" that stores and maintains this kind of stuff.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 6:27 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Actually they've filmed those attractions more than you may think. They used to chop up and use it parts for shows on Disney channel (before it became the Hannah Montana channel), use in adverts, and to use for that in-resort TV channel that's nothing but disney park adverts 24/7/365. The footage exists for many things, its just a question of compiling it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney somewhere doesn't have a "video archivist" that stores and maintains this kind of stuff.
Actually they've may have filmed those attractions more than you may think. They used to chop up and use attraction videos into snippet parts for shows on Disney channel (before it became the Hannah Montana channel), use in adverts, and to use for that in-resort TV channel that's nothing but disney park adverts 24/7/365. The footage exists for many things, its just a question of compiling it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney somewhere doesn't have a "video archivist" that stores and maintains this kind of stuff.

Isn't this like Disney saying hey we made a "MISTAKE"?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 09, 2011 6:47 pm

I expect it would be more like Disney thinking of it like "hey, here's a way we can make some money off that old ride we had dumped but those WDW nuts just loved"...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 6:55 pm

I know they filmed scenes (for travel videos and whatnot) but I don't think they did a meticulous archival version. It really isn't as simple as splicing up the pieces though, it would probably look like crap, possibly really grainy crap if you tried to watch it in HD.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 7:01 pm

You MEAN......You MEAN?!?!? Disney would have to dump CRAP on the market to make money?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Say it's not so!!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Look at how people clammored to buy pins when they put a shard of a horizons character, which they sent through a woodchipper, in them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 09, 2011 7:50 pm

mindflipper wrote:...I wouldn't be surprised if Disney somewhere doesn't have a "video archivist" that stores and maintains this kind of stuff.
If they don't have one, I would be happy to make the sacrifice of my current job :mrgreen:
Wizzard419 wrote:I know they filmed scenes (for travel videos and whatnot) but I don't think they did a meticulous archival version. It really isn't as simple as splicing up the pieces though, it would probably look like crap, possibly really grainy crap if you tried to watch it in HD.
Alas, you are probably correct in this assumption :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 09, 2011 9:24 pm

As Disneyland opened in 1955 and WDW in 1971 I can't imagine they would have HD-quality footage of their extinct attractions unless they were able to pull off a really neat trick with a HD camera and a time machine. But I can imagine they had footage that was good enough for broadcast television as many attractions - such as POTC, HM, and CoP - had been filmed and broadcasted in edited form during the Wonderful World of Disney. Does the original unedited footage exist? Maybe...maybe not.

I am reminded how just a few years ago Warner Brothers rediscovered in the vault archives the unedited and unused footage from Superman II. They hired Richard Donner, the original director for Superman and Superman II (but after the producers brought in a second director to hack the sequel, Donner had his name removed from it), to create an alternate Superman II based on the original script before the film got changed. With the exception of one missing scene that was replaced with footage from a screen test (the missing scene was actually the screen test used for Christopher Reeves and Margot Kidder), you couldn't tell the difference in the quality of footage. Warner Brothers released it on DVD, and I can't imagine decades later there would be that large of audience for it and yet it was released on DVD.

And as for the Disney Treasures DVD, for what you got and the price paid it was definitely overpriced. It felt like you were paying for the fact it came in a tin DVD case.

I'm not going to write off that Disney probably doesn't have the footage of extinct attractions in some decent to good quality (but not HD quality). I will just put it down to that no one in Disney management just doesn't think it's a good idea...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I think a lot/the bulk of those scenes you're talking about (for the disney rides) aren't actual ride footage, but rather stuff shot on a soundstage before it was put into the building since decent quality footage required huge cameras that didn't have as much freedom as you would need.

I wouldn't say they don't think it's not a good idea but they know it has little chance of profit. As nice as it is to do fan serivce stuff, it really doesn't matter since they pretty much can do anything and as long as they give you the occasional whif of what you like using the cheapest means necessary (such as selling you trash from Horizons) you'll keep coming back.

Basically the hardcore disney park fan is like the strung-out crackhead phase of Whitney Huston, Bobby could slap her around, take her money, make her cry, etc. and all he had to do was randomly tell her how she was pretty, he loved her, give her presents, and she would just keep crawling back. :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 10, 2011 12:00 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Basically the hardcore disney park fan is like the strung-out crackhead phase of Whitney Huston, Bobby could slap her around, take her money, make her cry, etc. and all he had to do was randomly tell her how she was pretty, he loved her, give her presents, and she would just keep crawling back. :D
I have never seen a more accurate and tearfully funny analogy of the relationship between Corporate Disney and the die-hard Disney fans. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 10, 2011 12:14 am

You're so pretty in this light. :D

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Mar Fri 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Can we add Vault Disney in with this? Nostalgia Land..I'm onboard..the only problem is that out of the 20 million guest that go to WDW each year..we make up roughly .001% of that crowd (give or take a few zeroes)...I am no Financial Analyst (actually I am) but I am not seeing quite the ROI that a public company would like to return to its shareholders....buuuut..with that being said...it Disney could somehow make it work...then I think it would be a great idea..the only problem is the park would be ever-growing as time went out