Nostalgia Land?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Nostalgia Land?

Post by casrin » Feb Mon 21, 2011 8:31 pm

I was looking at Horizons - Reconstructed (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horizons- ... 8718386821) tonight since there was an updated posted and found links to YouTube that showed the queues and various random shots around Epcot Center (pre-1994). While watching the first part of Journey into Imagination on YouTube, I noticed this comment posted beneath the video:
What a magical ride. I haven't been on the new one, but I just did a ride-through video. What a bunch of crap. They truly need to bring this one back. If Disney was really smart they would bring back all classic rides and exhibits that have been replaced and open them all up in one park. Like a Disney nostalgia park. There are enough people who remember these classics so sentimentally (like me) who would pay to ride and see these again.

What a great idea! I know I would move heaven and earth to see the original attractions if it were possible to do so. Not only Epcot attractions but those from Magic Kingdom that have also been replaced over the years (Mr. Toads Wild Ride, anyone?). I'm sure with modern technology being what it is today, Disney could work out the challenges that the omnimover at JII had with timing. I'm sure there are others who'd want a longer attraction like Horizons or World of Motion back. The quick, zippy rides that replaced them are fun. But they're all too fast.

What a wonderful idea. I would love it if a fifth Disney park was "Nostalgia Land" to really credit the earlier creations of WED and Imagineering.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Nostalgia Land?

Post by jlpeaches255 » Feb Mon 21, 2011 10:32 pm

It does sound like a nice idea but I have to wonder if there really are enough of "us"? I mean we still have CoP but is it ever crowded? Too many people just want things that go fast. :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 22, 2011 6:15 am

casrin wrote:What a great idea! I know I would move heaven and earth to see the original attractions if it were possible to do so. Not only Epcot attractions but those from Magic Kingdom that have also been replaced over the years (Mr. Toads Wild Ride, anyone?)....
You can go see Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in DL, and it sounds like an intriguing, wonderful idea, but I imagine jlpeaches is right, there probably wouldn't be enough interest :(

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Tue 22, 2011 11:30 am

the cheapest and fastest way is for people to do what the Horizons guy is doing...recreate it virtually

I think creating a nostalgia park would almost make it look sad and neglected. If enough money and sweat went into it...a virtual Yesterland park would be amazing and could definitely be something Disney could make money from...by selling ads as sponsors for the attractions.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Mar Tue 01, 2011 1:28 pm

jlpeaches255 wrote:It does sound like a nice idea but I have to wonder if there really are enough of "us"? I mean we still have CoP but is it ever crowded? Too many people just want things that go fast. :roll:
True. I love COP but when we ride (with Dd pouting b/c she would rather ride space mountain) there is maybe 12-15 people in with us. On a good day! Unfortunately same thing with the Wonders of Life pavilion. We went back over there when it was not on the map but "open". No one around, it was very depressing a few years back. People want progress and new things each visit.

wwwalsh
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by wwwalsh » Mar Tue 08, 2011 12:00 pm

As much as it sometimes sucks, there’s usually a good entertainment reason for an attraction to be replaced … although there are exceptions (20,000 Leagues being one of them). Nostalgia aside, the reality is that World of Motion wasn’t a good ride and neither was Wonders of Life (speed had nothing to do with it). People are drawn to quality and originality, which is why old attractions like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still popular despite neither of them being thrill rides.

As fans we should demand a higher quality, non-cheap, Disney ride (Mission Space’s problem is the theme/character, not the ride) and not a return to the ideas of yesteryear that don’t bring in the crowds. I love CofP but it’s probably time for it to go or get a major refurbishment.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Yeah, I think we remember some things more fondly than we thought of them when they were actually around. I remember thinking how cheesy WoM was with all the half-moving animatronics and overuse of film projection but now I miss it.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 8:41 am

Rather than a physical ride, I think it would be cool if the preserved them as virtual reality rides. I've seen the video of the recreation of DW's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and it's pretty impressive, although not complete. Disney has the resources to do it justice, and they could set it up as like a mini simulator, maybe at DisneyQuest or something.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 09, 2011 10:04 am

Brian845 wrote:Rather than a physical ride, I think it would be cool if the preserved them as virtual reality rides. I've seen the video of the recreation of DW's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and it's pretty impressive, although not complete. Disney has the resources to do it justice, and they could set it up as like a mini simulator, maybe at DisneyQuest or something.
That sounds like a neat idea!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 10:08 am

I have already been to Nostalgia Land!! It's in my head. I close my eyes while listening to Subsonic and I'm there!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 09, 2011 11:35 am

Jacca5660 wrote:I have already been to Nostalgia Land!! It's in my head. I close my eyes while listening to Subsonic and I'm there!
Aww, that's sweet! I might be a little afraid to visit Nostalgia Land inside your head though :shock: ;) :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 09, 2011 12:30 pm

What really surprises me is seeing how much business O'Neal use to get with his "Extinct Attractions" DVD is why did Disney never release their own set of professionally made DVD's about their bygone rides and shows? They would be made better than the Extinct Attractions DVD and would sell incredibly well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 09, 2011 12:49 pm

mindflipper wrote:What really surprises me is seeing how much business O'Neal use to get with his "Extinct Attractions" DVD is why did Disney never release their own set of professionally made DVD's about their bygone rides and shows? They would be made better than the Extinct Attractions DVD and would sell incredibly well.
Maybe they don't think the market for them would be big enough to justify the initial expense. I would think they would sell well too!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 09, 2011 2:03 pm

They know there is a market but the ROI is too low. Die hard park fans would love it but pretty much everyone else would just pass.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 09, 2011 3:49 pm

And yet they did the record/6 CD set for DL's 50th, and they sold so well (given they were a limited edition) that they came out when a second set that wasn't limited. Maybe do some of those DVD's of extinct attractions as part of the WDW's 50th maybe....