Coronado Springs Resort

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

MoonPet
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Coronado Springs Resort

Post by MoonPet » Jan Sat 29, 2011 3:47 pm

I've dined at the Maya Grill a few times and I've always liked the food there but I have never stayed at Coronado, so I couldn't comment more than that.

Wasn't Coronado built to accomodate conventions? For some reason I always associate it with convention groups.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 29, 2011 4:05 pm

MoonPet wrote:I've dined at the Maya Grill a few times and I've always liked the food there but I have never stayed at Coronado, so I couldn't comment more than that.

Wasn't Coronado built to accomodate conventions? For some reason I always associate it with convention groups.
I think was it's original concept, but I think it has more or less just become one of the moderate resorts ~ but I could be wrong. I know my oldest brother stayed there once on a business trip...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Amy wrote:
MoonPet wrote:I've dined at the Maya Grill a few times and I've always liked the food there but I have never stayed at Coronado, so I couldn't comment more than that.

I think was it's original concept, but I think it has more or less just become one of the moderate resorts ~ but I could be wrong. I know my oldest brother stayed there once on a business trip...
I think most of the larger hotels were made to accomodate conventions. I remember when they added on the convention wing to the Contemporary so it could take conventions, including for many years the Disney's Annual Stockholder's Meeting. I wish they would hold them there again...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 29, 2011 10:57 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:

I think most of the larger hotels were made to accomodate conventions. I remember when they added on the convention wing to the Contemporary so it could take conventions, including for many years the Disney's Annual Stockholder's Meeting. I wish they would hold them there again...
I got to go to one when it was held in Chicago...it was fun and boring all at the same time :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 29, 2011 11:05 pm

At the one held at the Contemporary, I got to see the Green Army Men from the first Toy Story long before the film was in the theatres. It was partially completed, and the musical score was taken from Back to the Future III (humorous, as this wasn't Universal). We got to see the opening of the Lion King movie long before it was seen in the theatres and got to listen to Alan Menken explain how he scored Pocahantas. Plus, they used to give free one day passes to all those who attended. I really liked that!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 29, 2011 11:11 pm

mindflipper wrote:At the one held at the Contemporary, I got to see the Green Army Men from the first Toy Story long before the film was in the theatres. It was partially completed, and the musical score was taken from Back to the Future III (humorous, as this wasn't Universal). We got to see the opening of the Lion King movie long before it was seen in the theatres and got to listen to Alan Menken explain how he scored Pocahantas. Plus, they used to give free one day passes to all those who attended. I really liked that!
The free one day pass would be nice! I think they might have validated the parking...but I'm not entirely sure they even did that.
I don't remember that there was anything all that exciting at the shareholder's meeting I attended. I don't even think there were any celebrities in attendance...Must have been an off year as far as things to promote went :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:At the one held at the Contemporary, I got to see the Green Army Men from the first Toy Story long before the film was in the theatres. It was partially completed, and the musical score was taken from Back to the Future III (humorous, as this wasn't Universal). We got to see the opening of the Lion King movie long before it was seen in the theatres and got to listen to Alan Menken explain how he scored Pocahantas. Plus, they used to give free one day passes to all those who attended. I really liked that!
The free one day pass would be nice! I think they might have validated the parking...but I'm not entirely sure they even did that.
I don't remember that there was anything all that exciting at the shareholder's meeting I attended. I don't even think there were any celebrities in attendance...Must have been an off year as far as things to promote went :lol:
I stayed at the Contemporary, so I was parked there (back then, you could park your own car with paying any parking fee; I don't know if the resorts still allow that now?). We didn't use the passes that day - after all, we were in the meeting for all morning long, so we wanted to use them for a FULL day and held on to them. Do the "value" resorts (like the "All-Star" resorts) have conference areas as well, or is it just the moderate resorts and up?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 30, 2011 8:50 am

mindflipper wrote:I stayed at the Contemporary, so I was parked there (back then, you could park your own car with paying any parking fee; I don't know if the resorts still allow that now?). We didn't use the passes that day - after all, we were in the meeting for all morning long, so we wanted to use them for a FULL day and held on to them. Do the "value" resorts (like the "All-Star" resorts) have conference areas as well, or is it just the moderate resorts and up?
I don't think any of the value resorts have any sort of conference areas. (The shareholders meeting I attended was at Navy Pier in Chicago) They would have to set up tents and fabricate some sort of meeting area for the All-Stars. I just don't remember seeing any buildings that would be large enough to hold a convention of any size. That's not to say they doesn't exist though :shock: or that with a little Disney magic, they can't be "poofed" into existence at least temporarily :mrgreen:

I found the following information on the Disney website under the "Resorts and Facilities" tab... http://disneymeetings.disney.go.com/dwm ... erviewPage

These are listed as the "dedicated convention" resorts: Boardwalk, Contemporary, Coronado, Grand Floridian, Yacht and Beach Club, Cruise Line
These are listed as "additional options": Poly, AK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, All Stars, Pop Century

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 30, 2011 9:42 am

I remember back when the Annual Stockholder's meetings were held at WDW, Contemporary was the main site and they had "overflow" rooms located at the Poly where you could watch it projected on big screens.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Sun 06, 2011 6:04 pm

masterj345 wrote:its a pretty nice moderate resort. nothing too fancy but nice hotel , the pool is pretty awesome shaped like a mexican ruin. and they used to have a pretty nice food court but im not sure if its still there.
Yes, the Pepper Market is still there and it's one of the best counter services out there! Maya Grill is really good too! :)
MoonPet wrote:Wasn't Coronado built to accomodate conventions? For some reason I always associate it with convention groups.
It does seem to be Disney's primary convention center now. It's actually one of the things my husband and I love about it - it gives it a bit more adult feel. Don't get me wrong, it's still totally kid friendly though! :)
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

mcothern2005
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by mcothern2005 » May Mon 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I've stayed there twice and had a fabulous stay both times.

flyer32
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by flyer32 » Jul Tue 26, 2011 11:00 am

I've stayed in Coronado Springs twice, and loved it. I find it doesn't take too long to get between resort and parks, and I like the fact that it is more adult oriented.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Sun 11, 2011 9:22 pm

We will be staying at CS this february for the second time. We did enjoy the grounds and the rooms. We stayed at the Casitas last October and enjoyed it very much. The grounds are gorgeous and well cared for. The convention people can be a little loud but who cares. by the time we get to our room at night we are exhausted and could sleep through anything. There is a lot of walking and it does take some time to get to El Centro. Especialy when pushing a wheel chair. We did have dinner at the Maya Grill and it is very good. The Pepper Market isn't bad either. It does get a little confusing for people with young kids. there are too many stations and if everyone wants something different, your food will be cold before everyone will get a chance to sit down together. We enjoyed our stay there and will be back there 2/2/12. Can't wait.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Goofyfan wrote:We will be staying at CS this february for the second time. We did enjoy the grounds and the rooms. We stayed at the Casitas last October and enjoyed it very much. The grounds are gorgeous and well cared for. The convention people can be a little loud but who cares. by the time we get to our room at night we are exhausted and could sleep through anything. There is a lot of walking and it does take some time to get to El Centro. Especialy when pushing a wheel chair. We did have dinner at the Maya Grill and it is very good. The Pepper Market isn't bad either. It does get a little confusing for people with young kids. there are too many stations and if everyone wants something different, your food will be cold before everyone will get a chance to sit down together. We enjoyed our stay there and will be back there 2/2/12. Can't wait.
That helps me decide that this resort wouldn't be for us. My Mom and I rarely eat the same thing, she has to use an ECV or wheelchair to get around, and I can't sleep very well with noise. I had been considering Coronado since I had heard so many nice things about it but I'm thinking we wouldn't fare well there...maybe we can just take a little time and go look at the nice ground and theming instead :D Thanks for the insider tips!

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Mon 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:We will be staying at CS this february for the second time. We did enjoy the grounds and the rooms. We stayed at the Casitas last October and enjoyed it very much. The grounds are gorgeous and well cared for. The convention people can be a little loud but who cares. by the time we get to our room at night we are exhausted and could sleep through anything. There is a lot of walking and it does take some time to get to El Centro. Especialy when pushing a wheel chair. We did have dinner at the Maya Grill and it is very good. The Pepper Market isn't bad either. It does get a little confusing for people with young kids. there are too many stations and if everyone wants something different, your food will be cold before everyone will get a chance to sit down together. We enjoyed our stay there and will be back there 2/2/12. Can't wait.
That helps me decide that this resort wouldn't be for us. My Mom and I rarely eat the same thing, she has to use an ECV or wheelchair to get around, and I can't sleep very well with noise. I had been considering Coronado since I had heard so many nice things about it but I'm thinking we wouldn't fare well there...maybe we can just take a little time and go look at the nice ground and theming instead :D Thanks for the insider tips!

Amy: Glad to help. I hope that I didn't scare you away from the coronado. It is a very nice, clean resort. I think just stopping by and taking a look at the grounds will be well worth it. I never thought about doing that at other resorts. that is a great idea. I think we will do the same thing in Feb. thanks for the helpful tip!!!
:goofy_bounce: :D