Real Santa

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Real Santa

Post by Esmeralda » Dec Wed 22, 2010 11:37 am

As the Disney Christmas Day parade approaches, I have a question for those of you with insider knowledge. Why doesn't Disney hire a real Santa? You know, real beard, etc. They're really so much more enchanting than the obviously fake Santa seen each year on TV.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Real Santa

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Wed 22, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm guessing they use the performer that they use in the parade all season, who also might be used in other shows and whatnot. Either that or the viewers generally don't care about the parade itself and only watch for the music acts.

It is such a strange thing, at least for the Disneyland part, they call it a parade but most of the time it's performances on and near floats that are not running. I want to see them hoof it while trying to keep the lipsync going.:D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I think Esmerelda was asking why don't they use an actor with a real beard to play Santa in the parade that's broadcasted on ABC TV Christmas Day. They use their own performers for the normal parade runs, but just use a special actor for that one performance that's taped for TV.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Wed 22, 2010 4:20 pm

What I was trying to say was that they already had the performer, so they are not inclined to go look for another one to be used the afternoon the day they tape the segment.

Again, I demand to see Mariah Carey run down the street while performing. I don't care if she's pregnant!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 22, 2010 6:04 pm

As much as it pains me to say it, I bet Wizzard is right. Disney would be inclined to use the talent they already pay rather than pay an additional performer.
Plus the real Santa is probably still quite busy on Christmas morning ~ doing his post-flight checks and all ;)

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Wed 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Esmeralda wrote:As the Disney Christmas Day parade approaches, I have a question for those of you with insider knowledge. Why doesn't Disney hire a real Santa?
Do you mean that Santa isn't real? :cry:

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Wed 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Is everyone forgetting the major rule that no CM can have a real beard, even if they are playing a face character with a beard?
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Thu 23, 2010 10:55 am

I could be Disney's SANTA!!!

Little girls even like to sit on my lap!!

"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Thu 23, 2010 11:27 am

Is that Mrs. Claus?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Thu 23, 2010 11:28 am

momeja wrote:Is that Mrs. Claus?
Yes that is!! It's Baloo!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Thu 23, 2010 1:49 pm

MadEye wrote:Is everyone forgetting the major rule that no CM can have a real beard, even if they are playing a face character with a beard?
What is the facial hair rule again? I know they can sport a stache but it has to be fully grown (as in you can't let it grow out if you were cleanshaven before), but was that the limit?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Thu 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
MadEye wrote:Is everyone forgetting the major rule that no CM can have a real beard, even if they are playing a face character with a beard?
What is the facial hair rule again? I know they can sport a stache but it has to be fully grown (as in you can't let it grow out if you were cleanshaven before), but was that the limit?
Full mustache but cannot grow past the corners of the mouth. No full beard, goatee or soul patch allowed so Santa would have to wear a fake beard at least. Heck men can barely grow out their sideburns.

When Walt was alive, he was the only one in the company who was allowed to have a mustache and Disney was very reluctant to allow men in the company to grow one.

One person in the company who is allowed to be different is Joe Rohde (Imagineer in charge of the design of Animal Kingdom) who has a full goatee and an earing in one ear (if a man's ears are pierced, they are not allowed to wear earrings on-stage).
― Dr. Seuss

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Nice photo of you and Baloo Jacca :D
I've noticed that Disney has relaxed the facial hair and jewelry policy a bit in the last few years...or they aren't policing the CM's quite as closely.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Thu 23, 2010 9:41 pm

MadEye wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:
Full mustache but cannot grow past the corners of the mouth. No full beard, goatee or soul patch allowed so Santa would have to wear a fake beard at least. Heck men can barely grow out their sideburns.

When Walt was alive, he was the only one in the company who was allowed to have a mustache and Disney was very reluctant to allow men in the company to grow one.

One person in the company who is allowed to be different is Joe Rohde (Imagineer in charge of the design of Animal Kingdom) who has a full goatee and an earing in one ear (if a man's ears are pierced, they are not allowed to wear earrings on-stage).
I'm guessing once you get to leadership level you can pretty much do what you please. Same with the contractors that they use when they flesh out concepts in imagineering.

Actually, now that I think about it, the rule probably only apllies to theme park employees since cast members could complain to the labor board about it.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Fri 24, 2010 7:46 am

Wizzard419 wrote:
MadEye wrote:Full mustache but cannot grow past the corners of the mouth. No full beard, goatee or soul patch allowed so Santa would have to wear a fake beard at least. Heck men can barely grow out their sideburns.

I'm guessing once you get to leadership level you can pretty much do what you please. Same with the contractors that they use when they flesh out concepts in imagineering.

Actually, now that I think about it, the rule probably only apllies to theme park employees since cast members could complain to the labor board about it.
No one who works for Disney (excluding probably third party construction workers and maybe some other third party employees) is allowed to sport a beard (except Joe like I mentioned earlier). That goes for CEO, Animators at the Burbank Studios, and other "behind the scenes" employees you will never see unless you work for the Mouse in a backstage position.
― Dr. Seuss