In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 15, 2010 9:59 am

Mousekedude wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote: We are a bunch of Mousekescouts!!
OOOOOOoooooooo.....! Another word for the Subictionary! (scurries off....)
Secretly stashed alcohol in a Disney park - does that make it Mouskehooch? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 15, 2010 10:40 am

mindflipper wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote: We are a bunch of Mousekescouts!!
OOOOOOoooooooo.....! Another word for the Subictionary! (scurries off....)
Secretly stashed alcohol in a Disney park - does that make it Mouskehooch? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Groan... :lol:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 15, 2010 10:40 am

There's another for the list!! I think that just makes you smart! ;+>
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Mon 15, 2010 11:29 am

mindflipper wrote: Secretly stashed alcohol in a Disney park - does that make it Mouskehooch? :lol: :lol: :lol:
....aaaaaand Mousekedude scampers over to add yet another word to the Subictionary...

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Thu 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I believe the reason MK's Pirates is lacking in scenes compared to DL's is that there was never supposed to be a PotC in MK. MK's marquee attraction was supposed to be in Frontierland/its own land called Thunder Mesa. The thought was in California the Caribbean was exotic so in Florida the American West would seem exotic. After the MK opened, however, Disney/Town Hall was flooded with complaints that "the pirate ride" wasn't there, so in response to the public demand/outrage they sort of haphazaradly threw a cheap PotC knockoff in MK.

As for those who haven't ridden both (and it's been a long time since I've ridden the DLR version) in addition to the 2 drops and "bayou/restaurant" scene mentioned here several times, the DLR version also features an expanded section of undead pirates. One that I seem to recall most vividly is a skeletal captain atop a massive pile of treasure. This entire section from DLR is consolidated into the single skeletal helmsman in the beginning of the WDW version (who alone I've always thought seemed sort of out of place...).

As WDW has the knockoff version of PotC I've always thought of El Pirata y El Perico as the knockoff Blue Bayou given it's proximity to PotC and theme...when it's open...

Commenting on the Holiday overaly stuff I'm actually glad WDW doesn't do the overlay stuff for attractions. As it is I feel like the holiday music everywhere is a bit overkill, but if I couldn't get my HM fix properly on a trip several months out of the year I know I would be disappointed. I also kind of feel like the Christmas overhaul makes Disney Parks a little less inclusive to some.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Thu 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Huh, I never knew that.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Mon 06, 2010 3:40 pm

I never knew that either. Although I always thought Pinocchio's Village Hut was the match to Blue Bayou, since they both overlook a ride.
Mr.ToadWildRider wrote: Commenting on the Holiday overaly stuff I'm actually glad WDW doesn't do the overlay stuff for attractions. As it is I feel like the holiday music everywhere is a bit overkill, but if I couldn't get my HM fix properly on a trip several months out of the year I know I would be disappointed. I also kind of feel like the Christmas overhaul makes Disney Parks a little less inclusive to some.
I totally understand, but for those of us who don't get to DL all that often, I miss seeing the overlays, especially HM. It's very clever.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:20 am

momeja wrote:I never knew that either. Although I always thought Pinocchio's Village Hut was the match to Blue Bayou, since they both overlook a ride.
I don't think that there's necessarily a match, I just kind of speculated that PotC in DL has a restaurant and there's a restaurant that is pirate themed just across from PotC in WDW but they are entirely different. If there's really a WDW match for the Blue Bayou I'd have to say it's San Angel Inn at the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot. It's a sit down restaurant that overlooks a night themed, outdoor load area for a boat ride.

momeja wrote:I totally understand, but for those of us who don't get to DL all that often, I miss seeing the overlays, especially HM. It's very clever.
In full disclosure I've never seen any holiday overlayed attractions as I am a WDW guy as I live on the East Coast (though as noted above I have been to DL). I'm sure it's very clever, it's just something I have no desire to see. Especially not in November. I'm Catholic and celebrate Christmas, but I am really fed up with the increasing Christmas take over of 2+ months out of the year driven by a corporate/marketing take over of Christmas. I get the decorations and the music because people do expect it but I feel like it's gotten a little out of hand everywhere, not just Disney, and I feel like having the rides suddenly turn into Christmas themed rides is just too far.

My g/f is Jewish and I always feel bad and a little guilty that everywhere we go from October through Christmas there are Santas, trees, music, etc. from the grocery store to the work place. I think there are places to celebrate Christmas but a complete takeover is a little much. In Boston there's a fairly popular station that switches its playlist from its normal rotation to 24/7 Christmas songs starting on November 1st (if not in October, I'm not really sure). I'm against the whole "Holiday Tree" movement, it's a Christmas Tree for goodness sake, but we don't need them everywhere. And I love Christmas!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Wed 08, 2010 11:43 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:In Boston there's a fairly popular station that switches its playlist from its normal rotation to 24/7 Christmas songs starting on November 1st (if not in October, I'm not really sure). I'm against the whole "Holiday Tree" movement, it's a Christmas Tree for goodness sake, but we don't need them everywhere. And I love Christmas!
Here in Birmingham, AL there is a station that does the same thing...but they started on November 15th. That is 40 days straight of Christmas music...and as much as I like it...I don't need 40 days of it...BEFORE Christmas even gets here.

Historically Christmas was celebrated from Christmas Day until the Epiphany (Magi bring gifts to baby Jesus). So...you couldn't really get tired of it as it only lasted 12 days (there are your 12 Days of Christmas ;) )...and everything leading up to Christmas Day is Advent...not Christmas. But...with the commercialization of Christmas and the over-saturation of Santa, Rudolph, shopping, and Christmas music...it's easy t get burned out by the first week of December.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Wed 08, 2010 11:56 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote: I don't think that there's necessarily a match, I just kind of speculated that PotC in DL has a restaurant and there's a restaurant that is pirate themed just across from PotC in WDW but they are entirely different. If there's really a WDW match for the Blue Bayou I'd have to say it's San Angel Inn at the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot. It's a sit down restaurant that overlooks a night themed, outdoor load area for a boat ride.
ITA about San Angel Inn. I just think Pinocchio's was also originally designed to be Blue Bayou's counterpart at MK. After all, it opened over a decade before San Angel Inn.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 10:06 am

I was surprised on this trip when I rode PoC. I boarded my pirate ship, went down a waterfall, saw Captain Jack a few times, and the cruise was over?! :shock: I really must give the preference to DL Pirates. That attraction is much better in my opinion.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Dec Thu 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Amy wrote:I was surprised on this trip when I rode PoC. I boarded my pirate ship, went down a waterfall, saw Captain Jack a few times, and the cruise was over?! :shock: I really must give the preference to DL Pirates. That attraction is much better in my opinion.
You're just saying that because you weren't on the boat with a bunch of marauders like we were! I'm sure that would sway your vote! :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 8:33 pm

NaCler wrote:
Amy wrote:I was surprised on this trip when I rode PoC. I boarded my pirate ship, went down a waterfall, saw Captain Jack a few times, and the cruise was over?! :shock: I really must give the preference to DL Pirates. That attraction is much better in my opinion.
You're just saying that because you weren't on the boat with a bunch of marauders like we were! I'm sure that would sway your vote! :wink:
Ah yes, I'm sure that would have been a merrier cruise...although there was no ambience yet to be had. Was there mousketinkling?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Thu 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Amy wrote: Ah yes, I'm sure that would have been a merrier cruise...although there was no ambience yet to be had. Was there mousketinkling?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:
No mouseketinkling! I swear! :shock: :roll:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Fri 17, 2010 12:08 am

Sorry, but like Amy, I prefer the DLR POTC to WDW's. WDW is shorter, hands down. Plus DLR has the Blue Bayou Restaurant attached to it as well. How can you beat that?