Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by leblanan » Oct Tue 26, 2010 10:30 am

The reason the WDW version is so much smaller is time, they were in such a rush to get it in, they shortened to the key scenes from the ride, plus they didn't need the new Orleans theme since it is in adventureland

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 26, 2010 12:56 pm

leblanan wrote:The reason the WDW version is so much smaller is time, they were in such a rush to get it in, they shortened to the key scenes from the ride, plus they didn't need the new Orleans theme since it is in adventureland
They could have gone with a cantina theme instead of the Louisiana-style bayuo theme for the restaurant. I don't think it was time as much as it was $$$.

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Oct Tue 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Mousekedude wrote:That's good info, Dr. R. It makes sense too, because I can't think of any other reason for not doing it the same way as DLR.
I think they could still do the restaurant, though, without shutting down the ride completely. They could actually incorporate part of the queue into it as well if they really wanted to. I wonder if they've considered going back and reworking it...?

There really is no room to add a restaurant especially the Load Zone, remember that the control room is right above the load area. The only two places I could see them putting it is after the loading area just before the drop, the area were Davy Jones' projection is, but that could conflict with the railroad, being that it is only 35 ft from the outer wall of the load/unload building. Or place it at the unload where the gift shop is, basically under the gift shop since the Unload Zone is lower. But this would mean your view of the ride is of the ramp for guests exiting and the lift for the boats going to the Load Zone.

Now if they wanted to add it to the queue, yes they could do that, but what would be your view? ECV's? Guests looking at you eat? Balloons? My theory "Build it right the first time not the 5th time"

Here are the options with pictures :) :

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 26, 2010 2:27 pm

The Post Load and Pre Drop area looks like the best option. The only downside is that there will be nothing added to the ride itself...just a restaurant. In all actuality...it wouldn't be that bad of an idea...adding a decent Table Service restaurant to MK.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Big - The only problem I could see with having it there would be the entrance to the restaurant. To be in that area you are on the back side of the building, right? How could we make that work? I like the idea, though.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Maybe you could have a corridor coming from the front that wrapped around the ride...but gave you a view of it as you walked by...on your way to the dining room. It would be similar to Coral Reef and how you have to walk from the entrance to the dining room. The hard part would be making it so that the restaurant did not interfere with the theming of the ride.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I like it... Continue the rock wall queue on the left past the loading zone while watching the boats set sail. They could add the restaurant right next to seagull/crab/skeleton island (don't know the official name). Name the restaurant Aztec Gold or something to that effect and re-theme the Island to correspond with the Isla de Muerta where the gold was returned. Then move Davy Jones projection to where you just go over the falls. You got that Wizzard??? ;)

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 26, 2010 3:01 pm

NaCler wrote:I like it... Continue the rock wall queue on the left past the loading zone while watching the boats set sail. They could add the restaurant right next to seagull/crab/skeleton island (don't know the official name). Name the restaurant Aztec Gold or something to that effect and re-theme the Island to correspond with the Isla de Muerta where the gold was returned. Then move Davy Jones projection to where you just go over the falls. You got that Wizzard??? ;)
This much thinking can get people in trouble!

What is that word???

Imagination!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:My theory "Build it right the first time not the 5th time"
I agree with that! I think once POTC was built at WDW it's too late to retro-fit a restaurant in it now. It should be have planned from the start.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 26, 2010 3:49 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:My theory "Build it right the first time not the 5th time"
I agree with that! I think once POTC was built at WDW it's too late to retro-fit a restaurant in it now. It should be have planned from the start.
But everyone can agree on the fact that it is much more important to add to the ride and have the extra at the beginning and end than to put a restaurant somewhere along the way. There are parts of the DL POTC that are missing completely from the WDW version. I care about those much more than the restaurant.

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Oct Tue 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Ok I want to play too...

I was looking at google earth and I was looking at the size of the building across the street where El Pirata Y El Perico Restaurante is. That building seems pretty big and that is only a counter service place with not a lot of seating. Wouldn't a full size sit down restaurant take up alot more space? And if we put a full service restuarant in there, we would have to get rid of El Pirata right? Then what would we put in that building?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 26, 2010 4:43 pm

NaCler wrote:I like it... Continue the rock wall queue on the left past the loading zone while watching the boats set sail. They could add the restaurant right next to seagull/crab/skeleton island (don't know the official name). Name the restaurant Aztec Gold or something to that effect and re-theme the Island to correspond with the Isla de Muerta where the gold was returned. Then move Davy Jones projection to where you just go over the falls. You got that Wizzard??? ;)
That's going right in the trashca I mean folder of unsolicted ideas. :D

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Or... how about a restaurant in the Burning Town scene? That would be pretty cool... or hot... whatever. :D

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Oct Tue 26, 2010 6:50 pm

OK, lots of good thoughts going on here, I like it. It is true that Disneyland has entire sections that Walt Disney World, personally I would love to see those added, but we all know that is the least likely out of all of this. After looking at the google satellite images I see now that the only way to add a restaurant is to build it entirely "underground" (quotes since Underground is really ground level). The Jungle Cruise is too close on the Southeast side, the railroad is too close to the Southwest of the building. The Jungle Cruise pretty much eliminates a restaurant on that side and the railroad hinders the other side.

The only way this restaurant idea would happen is with major reconstruction. The railroad road bed would have to be raised to allow access under it. Which means the tunnel, the tunnel through/under POTC and Splash, would have to be worked on to raise it at the POTC end. Also the curve of the track would have to be lessened, if you look at it on the overhead shots the railroad curves right at the south end on POTC putting it within arms length of the building. I do remember the POTC building being very close to the tracks at that point. More construction would have to be done to the Backstage Parade float route moving it further out (not as big a project but a project none the less. And of course the opening up of the side wall of the ride. All this means that the Railroad would have to be shutdown for at least the roadbed reconstruction and possibly for the new building and seating areas. Then POTC would have to be shutdown for at least the restaurant addition and possibly the roadbed work. If they closed POTC the entire time it would make for a great opportunity to Plus things in the ride.

Oh and I'm moving this thread to General Resorts and Cruise Lines since we are talking about both USA Parks and not just Disneyland.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Good move Dr. and thanks for letting us get creative. Too bad this wasn't in the works prior to the Fantasyland Expansion since the Railroad is already going to be shut down for a good part of 2011.