New Star Tours Video

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: New Star Tours Video

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Wed 18, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm confused as to when these Star Tours are supposed to take place...

The First Star Tours always gave me problems as it gives the distinct impression that it took place AFTER the events of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi- at least if you listened to C3PO in the queue who spoke about events that took place in the Episodes V and VI i.e. being on Hoth (which according to the Star Tours ad is home to the *ruins* of the Rebel Echo Base) and the Ewoks thinking he was magical but it actually being Master Luke's "magic." But yet, clearly the Empire is still out in force and have completed yet another Death Star. I always just discounted that apparent anachronism as being the product of the popular desire to ride an X-Wing over the Death Star's surface and through its trench.

But now the *new* Star Tours has Alderaan has a tour location. As others pointed out, there is an obvious joke about it being voted the "safest travel planet" because...well it gets blown up in Episode IV. So is Star Tours doing what the movie series did and go back in time to sort of a prequel mode? Or are they just throwing the whole Star Wars mythology/timeline out the window and just having fun?

I'm not even a big Star Wars geek- these observations were made as a casual viewer of Star Wars. I'm not even really a fan of the series it just always seemed to be confusing to me.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:I'm confused as to when these Star Tours are supposed to take place...

The First Star Tours always gave me problems as it gives the distinct impression that it took place AFTER the events of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi- at least if you listened to C3PO in the queue who spoke about events that took place in the Episodes V and VI i.e. being on Hoth (which according to the Star Tours ad is home to the *ruins* of the Rebel Echo Base) and the Ewoks thinking he was magical but it actually being Master Luke's "magic." But yet, clearly the Empire is still out in force and have completed yet another Death Star. I always just discounted that apparent anachronism as being the product of the popular desire to ride an X-Wing over the Death Star's surface and through its trench.

But now the *new* Star Tours has Alderaan has a tour location. As others pointed out, there is an obvious joke about it being voted the "safest travel planet" because...well it gets blown up in Episode IV. So is Star Tours doing what the movie series did and go back in time to sort of a prequel mode? Or are they just throwing the whole Star Wars mythology/timeline out the window and just having fun?

I'm not even a big Star Wars geek- these observations were made as a casual viewer of Star Wars. I'm not even really a fan of the series it just always seemed to be confusing to me.
There was something about it that said the new Star Tours would fit in between the two sets of trilogies (in other words, between ep. 3 and ep. 4).

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 10:15 am

For those out there that are not SW fans, there have been over 100 books written besides the movies. Believe it or not the Empire is still around, and the leader of the "good guys" now was even an Admiral in the old Empire. There are endless scenarios they can use for the new ride, I can't wait!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I can't keep count of the many Star Trek books have been written but I'm sure it's around the same number as the Star Wars books. My friend has a good number of ST books.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 5:44 pm

There are many more Star Trek books then Star Wars books.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:There are many more Star Trek books then Star Wars books.
That's what I thought and yet every time I'm at Borders, Star Wars trumps Star Trek books.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 6:27 pm

elizabethswann wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:There are many more Star Trek books then Star Wars books.
That's what I thought and yet every time I'm at Borders, Star Wars trumps Star Trek books.
I've noticed this also. I've also notice that some of the people who write one series also write the other.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Fri 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Are the books really considered part of the actual story though? Or as some say "Official canon"? I know they have issues with that stuff with like Warcraft books and they used to have it with some of the Lost promotional games and stuff.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Fri 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I think there is a whole approval process when writing a book for either series. It goes to the integrity of the franchises.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Fri 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Are the books really considered part of the actual story though? Or as some say "Official canon"? I know they have issues with that stuff with like Warcraft books and they used to have it with some of the Lost promotional games and stuff.
Most of them aren't canon but they can be an interesting read.