Give a Day, Get ... nothing.

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

soldhamgm
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Give a Day, Get ... nothing.

Post by soldhamgm » Mar Wed 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Not sure if there's been a discussion posted about this already or not, so feel free to redirect me.

Yesterday, the HandsOn website, which has been working in coordination with Disney on the Give a Day program, posted an announcement yesterday that they were shutting down the program because Disney's goal of 1 million volunteers had been met.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. It could just be me, but I feel this will have to go down as one of the biggest promotional flops in Disney history. A major national promotional campaign ... that lasted a whopping two months.

Thoughts?

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Wed 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, really? They should really continue it through the end of the year. I was hoping my friend would do it too so that she can get a ticket and I can give her mine so she can go to both parks when she would visit. This is ridiculous.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 10, 2010 3:56 pm

The Disney website did state that it would either last through the end of the year or when they have given out what tickets were available. They clearly stated the number of tickets were limited and could give out early. I remember reading all of that when we volunteered for ours. Maybe Disney under-estimated how many people would volunteer.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Mar Wed 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I was also surprised that it is ending so soon. But you have to admit, it's pretty impressive that they reached the 1 million goal so fast! Sure, I bet a lot of the people would have or had volunteered anyway but I am sure this promotion created some "new" ones too.

Even though you can't sign up anymore I did hear that many of the programs had so much activity that they were scheduling for the Fall a couple weeks ago so even though they are halting the signups it was pretty close to the end of the year to get one in anyway.

Still doesn't make it look good when its only been 2 months like you said - sounds like they didn't realize how popular this was going to be.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Another Disney rip-off!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:08 pm

It makes me laugh that they weren't going to be aware on how popular this would be. Even I knew that once you would offer a free ticket to either park, so many people are going to sign up right away. I had trouble trying to find a volunteer day and I signed up the day after they opened up registration. So many people were picking their days and I was lucky to get something at the end of January.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:10 pm

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:13 pm

They could always bring back later in the year. Add an additional million tickets in the fall maybe?

I don't think of it as a "rip-off". Disney clearly stated that once the tickets ran out, the promotion would end. That's one of the reasons we signed up earily and got ours done as quickly as possible. I agree with elizabethswann that its bizarre they didn't know how popular this was going to be - 1 million tickets seems too low!

soldhamgm

Post by soldhamgm » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I do remember reading in the fine print (and thanks to updates on MousePlanet.com) that the 1 million mark would make this a sticky situation. But my friends will confirm that I'm a Disney fanatic, so of course I would know this. But the average person would have no idea. All they see is a massive marketing campaign (and I love every Muppet commercial) that results in a two-month promotional program.

Kudos to everyone who was able to sign up. And I think the hearts of the Disney execs were in the right place when they did this - obviously a more socially conscious decision than simply having a birthday.

Still ... I'm baffled.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:23 pm

I haven't seen the Muppet commercials in a while now. Once they could project when the goal was going to be reached, it seems like they pulled the ads from TV. And you're right - the TV never says anything about there being a limit (although it could have been hidden in teeny-tiny print somewhere during the ad).

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:26 pm

I just hope they keep running the Teri Hatcher commercials!
Last edited by 99Soulz on Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't think of this as a flop or a rip off. They wanted to get 1 Million people to volunteer and they were successful. How many of those people would have volunteered if Disney did not offer this promotion? This was a very successful idea and they may do it again seeing how popular it was.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:31 pm

MY DW and I volunteer of 100 hours a year or more to our DS's school! We have for the last 9 years (It's a K through 12 school). With the way states are cutting school budgets, they really need the help. If you want to make a difference volunteer at a local school!!

There's no Disney ticket, but you get much more than that from the way the kids and staff treat you! It's great to have kids you've seen grow up come a give you a hug when they're teenagers! It's just my boys who won't hug me in front of their friends even though their friends will!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Jacca - I'm not saying that everyone who participated in this only had getting a free ride to Mickeyville on their minds. A lot of those 1 million people more than likely already gave/give their time to a charitable org each year. I'm just saying that people who had never volunteered before and were coaxed by a free ticket may have enjoyed it and may start volunteering in the future when there isn't a free ticket involved. I think that is where the success lies. They got the non-regulars out for a good cause.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Good point! Maybe some of them will realize how much you get back when you give!