Give a Day, Get ... nothing.

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

joeybTNU
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by joeybTNU » Mar Thu 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Jacca, I believe they can only be used in 2010.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Thu 11, 2010 10:00 pm

So you have less then a year!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Best things in life are free - it doesn't mean free things last a lifetime. :wink:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Fri 12, 2010 5:51 am

That was the disappointing thing about the tickets. And you have to use them the day you redeem them so you can't redeem it and save it for another day.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Mar Fri 12, 2010 2:40 pm

mindflipper wrote:Best things in life are free - it doesn't mean free things last a lifetime. :wink:
haha so true
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

stinoi
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Give a Day, Get ... nothing.

Post by stinoi » Sep Sun 19, 2010 11:55 am

The American Red Cross does giveaways similar to this in order to draw in first-time blood donors. The research shows that once you get a person in for the first time, there is a decent chance that you will get them to return. The point was to raise awareness and encourage people to get involved. That being said, I hope that they will run similar promotions in future years. In fact, I hope that an option can be added to donate your ticket.

jeremyleo
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Re:

Post by jeremyleo » Sep Tue 21, 2010 10:27 am

joeybTNU wrote:Think about this though-If Disney had only done it because of the cost of letting in millions of people in for free would've really killed revenues and whatnot for them, then why didn't they keep it going, because I know that if I got a free ticket, I wouldn't just head down to WDW for one day and only go to one park! Trying to decide between the four parks is way to hard for me to do. I would go to all the parks! i would've bought tickets for the other parks and most likely stayed in an on site hotel! Imagine if everyone had done it that way!
Great points - and this is exactly what my family did. We participated in a great volunteer opportunity here at home, got the kids involved in community service, and took our vouchers to Orlando for a 2 week vacation. We stayed on property for part of the trip, ate and shopped at WDW, and used the vouchers towards multi-day park hopper tickets. I was surprised at how efficiently this worked as well - and we even got a 'souveneir' 1-day park pass card (not useable as a park pass) after the upgrade to a multi-day ticket was completed.

Sure, we saved ~$340 off the price of park passes, but trust me, we spent the savings, and more, while we were at WDW. It gets easy to 'justify' spending a bit more on a meal or souveneir when you consider the savings of a promotion.

I would be very interested to know the number of vouchers given out vs. the number actually used. I wonder how many participants volunteered and accepted vouchers 'just in case' they went on a Disney vacation in 2010. I am sure Disney counted on this scenario to reduce impact to their bottom line.
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 21, 2010 10:37 am

We did that too. We took our 1 day 1 park pass and upgraded to a 2 day park hopper at DL.

We knew we would be in the area this year, but if we weren't sure we would have been able to make a trip out, we would have taken the option to donate the ticket.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Mon 25, 2010 11:50 am

I have a question about this, but since this is actually a duplicate thread, I'll go over to the original and post it there.
Here's the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5785

Maybe this one should be locked, and further discussion be on the original...? Moderators...?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Mon 25, 2010 12:07 pm

The other thread was discussing what people did to get their ticket; this thread was meant to be a gripe session for those who felt like they were wronged by the entire process.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:56 pm

I know, but it's all the same topic, really, because it's all about the same event.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Mon 06, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't think I'd deem giving away 1 million free tickets as any kind of rip off or flop. The average park ticket is around, what, $65? That's a lot of cash. Granted, with all of the promotional packages that bring prices down for length of stay, etc. not every person getting a free ticket would have been paying that amount on their ticket but still a million tickets still equals at least tens of millions of dollars. People tend to believe Disney has this endless supply of money but they don't and even during an economic boom, let alone a severe recession, that is a lot of money.

And even assuming 100% of the volunteers would have volunteered anyway (which is clearly not true, but the "worst case scenario") it's still awfully nice of Disney to give those people a little bonus for their work. In reality there is presumably a much more sizeable percentage than 0% who volunteered specifically for this promotional event and that means Disney probably turned those people into cheap labor for a good cause (I say cheap labor because I think the promotion was for people donating 8+ hours? That's like $8.12/hour which is only slightly above minimum wage).