In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

mdk010
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

D23 Benefits

Post by mdk010 » Jan Tue 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I am new to D23 this year and I am wondering if anyone has any insights on some of your favorite privileges you may receive from being a member.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Welcome to the club! The magazine is great and the little "gifts" that are recieved with it are a neat addition for any Disney "freak" like us. :)

As far as anything else goes, we haven't experienced much yet. We became members in September and we used the membership for discount tickets to the D23 Expo and we were lucky enough to score tickets to the preview of the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.

I understand that there are some new discounts available but we haven't been able to try them out yet.

Here is a link to the other thread pertaining to D23:

viewtopic.php?t=5024&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 19, 2010 4:13 pm

I was a little disappointed in my first year but I think that is because I live so far from any of the places where perks are being offered. The magazine is nice though. I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for D23 again if I lived in So. Cal.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Fri 19, 2010 6:01 pm

I didn't know you were a D23 member Amy!!! There's a few of us chatting it up on the "Are You 23?" thread.

I really enjoy the magazine! It is more suited for those either in So. Cal or even Florida (WDW events)...but I'm glad to see that at least an effort is being made to spread the wealth a bit.

We went to San Francisco and we're going to DL for the 1 year party, and we weren't members yet for the Lion King event here in Vegas (we probably would have joined eariler if we knew there was an event here).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 03, 2010 9:40 pm

MmeLeota ~ Thanks ~ I went and found the Are You 23 thread. I didn't have time to read all the pages so I skipped around a bit. Sounds like other D23 members who are a little further removed from the hot spots, ie FL or CA, are like me - like the magazine, not really sure that is worth the cost. At least with the Disney Collector's Society you get a figurine with your membership. Although the magazine is nice, a poster and calendar aren't that exciting for me. I would have used the membership for discounts to the Expo had I been able to get out there though!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Thu 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Amy wrote:MmeLeota ~ Thanks ~ I went and found the Are You 23 thread. I didn't have time to read all the pages so I skipped around a bit. Sounds like other D23 members who are a little further removed from the hot spots, ie FL or CA, are like me - like the magazine, not really sure that is worth the cost. At least with the Disney Collector's Society you get a figurine with your membership. Although the magazine is nice, a poster and calendar aren't that exciting for me. I would have used the membership for discounts to the Expo had I been able to get out there though!
That's what we did...for the expo. We're in Vegas so we're not too far from SoCal, but we have to plan a trip to make it to any events. I'm trying to keep an open mind about D23 since this was their first year and it will take probably a few years before they really get a feel for how the club should be run. I agree that right now, if you are not close to SoCal or Florida, there's not much to keep your attention, but I think they are trying to work on that.
I didn't know about the Collector's Society...I'll have to look into it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 03, 2010 7:50 pm

MmeLeota, I'm curious if you checked out the Collector's Society?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Mon 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Amy wrote:MmeLeota, I'm curious if you checked out the Collector's Society?
Yes I did, but it sounds like either they're phasing it out or just not accepting any more new members. I looked into becoming a member, but the site blocked me from ordering. :(

I am just discovering how many societies/clubs/foundations there are out there for Disney fans.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 05, 2010 4:49 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:MmeLeota, I'm curious if you checked out the Collector's Society?
Yes I did, but it sounds like either they're phasing it out or just not accepting any more new members. I looked into becoming a member, but the site blocked me from ordering. :(
I am just discovering how many societies/clubs/foundations there are out there for Disney fans.
I just received a letter from them in the mail yesterday. It said the Collector's Society was suspended as of December 2009. It indicates that the subscription to Sketches (the official publication which didn't consist of much more than a catalog of the sculptures) won't be sent out anymore, but the letter also stated that they have many new releases planned for 2010 and beyond. Soooo, not entirely sure what that means but I'm assuming it is more or less finished as far as a yearly sculpture :| If you find anything new and interesting let me know! I would love to find something to replace the E-ticket magazine or something similar...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 06, 2010 3:04 pm

I will definitely let you know if I find anything else out there...

If anyone else knows of any collector's clubs or anything, please let us know...thanks!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Hey D23 members in California (specifically SoCal)!

I just found out that D23 members can get a discount to the Hollywood Show April 24-25 in Burbank! (we might try and take a road trip to see this) There will be members from the original Mickey Mouse Club there for pictures and autographs!

Here's a link to the story on the D23 site...

http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/04051 ... dShow.html

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 06, 2010 8:58 pm

MmeLeota, you're a member. How much is membership and all that? I would want to join up soon and maybe get my mom into it.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Wed 07, 2010 11:28 am

Ms. Swann, here's a link to the Disney Store site with all the membership info. This year there's 2 tiers. Gold and Silver. I believe Silver is $34.99 a year and Gold is $74.99 a year.

http://www.disneystore.com/d23/buy-a-d2 ... p/c/66520/

The main difference between the 2 is whether or not you want the magazine.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Wed 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Thank you! I remembered one was 75 but I didn't know that there was a cheaper version.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: D23 Benefits

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jun Tue 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I want to be a member so badly! Hopefully soon when I have more time to travel