Disney quietly working on $1 billion-plus “next generation

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Wed 03, 2010 5:35 pm

joeyflds wrote:Not sure how much i like this, it seems to me that a billion bucks can better be spend somewhere else. That's a lot of money.....
In this case Disney is only spending the money because they feel there gonna make a lot more back from it. It's about enhancing there position in the market. It's about control! Yes it is Disney becoming BIG BROTHER!! This one isn't for our enjoyment folks!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Feb Thu 04, 2010 7:37 pm

I thought Subsonic was the first step towards Big Brother?
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Feb Thu 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Jacca5660 wrote: In this case Disney is only spending the money because they feel there gonna make a lot more back from it. It's about enhancing there position in the market. It's about control! Yes it is Disney becoming BIG BROTHER!! This one isn't for our enjoyment folks!
Bingo! Like any successful corporation, they are going to spend their bucks only in places they think will bring in big-buck returns on their investment.
But wouldn't you?
The best way to do that is to closely monitor what your customers like, and where their tastes are trending. Economics 101. Disney has mastered that concept. Can't say I blame them. The whole "big-brother" thing is a little unsettling, but I don't think we really have anything to fear. I don't have anything to hide.... do you? :shock:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 05, 2010 9:30 am

You're right, Mouskedude, that Disney is basically collecting as much information to determine trends in the market. They're not perfect, but they're better than most - and they seem to seek new ways to improve this functionality. As for the "big brother" controversy I guess depends on where you put that line that once crossed makes the monitoring "intrusive". And Mousekedude, it's not a question of what one has to hide as merely as the simple right to privacy. People highly value their privacy. They would rather volunteer what information they would like to supply instead of someone collecting it all covertly. And as identity theft is ever growing problem in this country, privacy and protecting it on the web is just as important. Hence, why it may be a legitimate concern to be concerned about the "big brother" aspect of what Disney could be doing.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Fri 05, 2010 10:50 am

After seeing that some very large corporations have had there computer security breached and their client information been stolen. Well I just have a hard time with a company collecting credit card, debit card, SSI, and other extremely personal information to just quote enhance my vacation. Ask any computer geek and/or professional, computers are not secure. It's a constant game of cat and mouse between computer security people and hackers.

Let me be the voice of doom. I don't trust this at all!!

Yes Mousekedude, some of us are just private. It's not a matter of having something to hide!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 05, 2010 11:02 am

And - as I am sure Jacca5660 will back me up on this - the security breaches we hear about in the news are unfortunately only the tip of the iceberg. Like most the iceberg that is hidden underneath the water, most information security breaches are kept hidden and rarely ever make it to the light of day. Hopefully the reason Disney is theroetically spending a billion would be not only to collect and use such data, but to find a better way to secure it. Protecting your privacy is also protecting your financial assets from being stolen.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Fri 05, 2010 11:27 am

A multi country, multi billion dollar corporation is NOT, I repeat Not going to make public a breach in their computer security. Let's face it, this could bring a corporation down. The general public and especially investor are not going to put money where they don't think it's safe. I think if you were to ask the experts they will tell you that at best computer security is a constant battle, at worst an illusion.

I do pray that Disney is investing so much money to try to secure this system. Like I've said, I DO NOT trust it. You just know eventually someone will get through. It's not just gloom and doom! It's the weight of numbers.

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Feb Fri 05, 2010 12:15 pm

you guys need to put this in front of all conspiracy theory's...

"and it all started with a mouse" !!!
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 05, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm not so worried with the giant corp like Diz is going to do with it, I'm worried if they can protect it and keep it secure! When you hear about Google and its battle with overseas hackers it does give you pause for thought how secure is your personal data. :|

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Fri 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Croaker wrote:you guys need to put this in front of all conspiracy theory's...

"and it all started with a mouse" !!!
It's not a conspiracy theory..It a fact of life!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Feb Fri 05, 2010 11:12 pm

mindflipper wrote:I'm not so worried with the giant corp like Diz is going to do with it, I'm worried if they can protect it and keep it secure! When you hear about Google and its battle with overseas hackers it does give you pause for thought how secure is your personal data. :|
Yeah, I knew that was a big part of it. I was just focusing on the "Big Brother" aspect as far as whether you should be concerned with what Disney does with the info. In that sense, I've got "nothing to hide" because I'm not worried about them. But the idea of whether or not your personal info is safe.... now that's a different story. I'm right there with you all on that. Nothing is safe as far as hackers and stuff are concerned. On that subject, I definitely don't want my personal info out there unsecured.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Glad you could join the club, Mousekedude! :D The threat is out there, mi amigo, and its global! :(

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Sat 06, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm not really sure what I think of this idea yet. I'm with the group when it comes to privacy. I am so careful with my info because I have been burned before. It taught me that I cannot simply trust that my info is safe. I don't really like the idea of them knowing if I have an ADR or not and "suggesting" places to eat. I like going with the flow while I'm at Disney. I don't want to feel like I'm being pushed.

On the other hand, there could be some cool trivial things to come out of this that don't require personal info...like the thing with your favorite characters or holding your place in line.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sat 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I would it to be more like that video souvenir you can get at the end of Spaceship Earth. What surprises me is that you don't pay for it - it's free. You pay for photos at Splash Mtn, RnR, and other rides. Wouldn't it be cool if there some way you could get digital souvenirs of you and your trip/on the rides either stored electronically until the end of the trip or sent to you by e-mail. There's ways it can be used to enhance the trip experience.

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Feb Sun 07, 2010 10:17 am

They already have ALL my personal info.. They know where I live / work, how much I earn, what race, how many times I go toWDW, what and where I eat, how many people are with me...... They have access to my finacial history and access to my bank account. I pray they are secure. I am a DVC member and Annual Pass holder.