Disney quietly working on $1 billion-plus “next generation

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 8:25 am

Jacca5660 wrote:In this case Disney is only spending the money because they feel there gonna make a lot more back from it. It's about enhancing there position in the market. It's about control! Yes it is Disney becoming BIG BROTHER!! This one isn't for our enjoyment folks!
Nobody knows what Disney's doing. The article is written based on speculation by bloggers...always the most credible sources. Why don't we see what the project really is before we start spouting Orwellian tripe. For example, this article suggests that the Nextgen project is something else entirely: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... periences/

The point is, nobody knows. Too many people on this board rush to criticize things before they are even officially announced or finalized.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 9:30 am

To me, MW1218, that is the direction I would like to see Disney go into: improving the experience for all guests. As I stated previously, I think the "Welcome to Your Future" video at the end of Spaceship Earth is excellent, and the fact you can save it at the end of the ride for free (thanks to Siemens) was an excellent souvenir! I want to see Disney go into this kind of R&D more! After reading that article, I wonder what kind of changes they could make to the ballroom and the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion??

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:27 am

I like the idea of Welcome to Your Future, but hate the implementation. I don't want to look at a small screen, while tons of wasted space passes me by on the left and right side of the ride vehicle...they could have used that space to show possible futures, right? Maybe mix up some AA figures with projections of our 'future selves' sprinkled in.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:36 am

I do agree with the wasted space! They could have done more with the descent. I still like the videos. Maybe work the videos in connection with the scenery on the descent? Maybe in the next renovation they'll fix that - as well as re-write that awful narrative read by Judi Dench. Rome the first world wide web? Jewish and Islamic Scholars the first back-up system? How awful!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 10:46 am

OK, that sound pretty cool and more like it!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Of course no one will know exactly what Disney has up their sleeve until it is announced...and I'm sure when they do, we will all see that what they've been working so dilligently on is truly a technological marvel. But until that time, people will speculate...there's no getting around it and we're all just letting our minds wander freely. Just throwing out ideas and opinions if it's it's something that would work or not.

The Tink thing sounds pretty awesome! (though on several levels I think it would kinda creep me out...long story)

I think what I'm most interested in is the new form of queue...according to what was said at the D23 Expo, the "new" Dumbo attraction in WDW is supposed to be a whole new kind of queue...supposedly no "line" and highly interactive. I'm curious to see how this works. (I seem to be envisioning a Friday night at my favorite restaurant, waiting for a table with my handy pager sitting next to me at the bar... :lol: :wink: )

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:14 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Of course no one will know exactly what Disney has up their sleeve until it is announced...and I'm sure when they do, we will all see that what they've been working so dilligently on is truly a technological marvel. But until that time, people will speculate...there's no getting around it and we're all just letting our minds wander freely. Just throwing out ideas and opinions if it's it's something that would work or not.

The Tink thing sounds pretty awesome! (though on several levels I think it would kinda creep me out...long story)

I think what I'm most interested in is the new form of queue...according to what was said at the D23 Expo, the "new" Dumbo attraction in WDW is supposed to be a whole new kind of queue...supposedly no "line" and highly interactive. I'm curious to see how this works. (I seem to be envisioning a Friday night at my favorite restaurant, waiting for a table with my handy pager sitting next to me at the bar... :lol: :wink: )

MMM?? The Dumbo Bar and Grill?? Yes I will have some more Zebra! I hear they are fresh, right from the AK!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Yeh, because we know already the assaults and lawsuits that have been recently created by the Dumbo queue - looks like a new queue had its genesis from that!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:39 pm

MMM?? The Dumbo Bar and Grill?? Yes I will have some more Zebra! I hear they are fresh, right from the AK!!
But the zebra is only sleeping! :wink:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:46 pm

and the lion is protecting it!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:47 pm

I don't know about the zebra at the Dumbo Bar and Grill, but the zebra in the lion's den in the jungle cruise ain't sleepin'! :wink:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Feb Mon 08, 2010 2:54 pm

MW1218 wrote:Why don't we see what the project really is before we start spouting Orwellian tripe. For example, this article suggests that the Nextgen project is something else entirely: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... periences/

The point is, nobody knows. Too many people on this board rush to criticize things before they are even officially announced or finalized.
Wow, harsh! You seem to have taken it pretty personally that people like to speculate! It's interesting to theorize on what something might mean, and then to offer up an opinion on whatever that possibility may be. That's what a lot of us do here. It doesn't necessarily mean that we are firmly convinced of our opinion; we know it's just speculation. Relax! Don't take it so seriously! We're just having fun. :mrgreen:

That having been said, I liked your link. It seems like something that will be very exciting if it turns out to be what it seems to be. I would love to be able to "interact" with a holographic Tink (don't get your minds in the gutter now, Mindflipper and Jacca.... :shock: ).

MmeLeota, can you fill us in on those "levels of creepiness?"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Mon 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Interact with TINK??ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Also, we like to voice our opinions on issues that are global to what Disney's plans might be that don't necessarily mean we're expressing our opinion on a particular, specific plan. Data security is important should be important to Disney, as well as all other corporations out there in the USA. It's not "criticizing" to point out issues that should be a major concern. I'm pretty sure the folks at Disney are already aware of these concerns in their planning and designs.

As for Tink, Mousekedude, my mind is not in the gutter (as I recall about the right hand comment in the southpaw thread, who's mind was in the gutter first? Hmmm?). Think of all the rides you could have an "interactive" experience. And if you want an "interactive" time with a pretty young lady - what about Constance over in the Haunted Mansion attic? I'm sure she would be quick to axe you some things in an "interactive" conversation! It would be a conversation to die for! :twisted: :wink:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Feb Mon 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I knew you guys would jump on me for that one.... :mrgreen:

I think I'll skip Constance though.... :shock: