In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Re: Disneyland or Disney World

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Tue 20, 2011 7:07 pm

MmeLeota wrote:

Cinderella Castle is amazing and beautiful, but I really love the charm and innocence of Sleeping Beauty Castle. It may be small, but I love the stone work. (At least it wasn't turned into a giant, pink cake monstrosity for the 50th. ;) )

Hey now! :mrgreen: Some of us have fond memories of that cake, over-the-top as it was. :lol:

I will agree with what you said about WDW property- it's pretty much its own world in there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 20, 2011 8:03 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...One thing I really like about WDW (and have yet to experience...til January anyway) is that once you are on Disney property, you are surrounded by it. When you go on an attraction that lifts you high up, you see WDW...not the surrounding city.
......but it doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to our first true WDW trip...
Wait, you've been to WDW before right?! :?
Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote: Cinderella Castle is amazing and beautiful, but I really love the charm and innocence of Sleeping Beauty Castle. It may be small, but I love the stone work. (At least it wasn't turned into a giant, pink cake monstrosity for the 50th. ;) )
Hey now! :mrgreen: Some of us have fond memories of that cake, over-the-top as it was. :lol:
I will agree with what you said about WDW property- it's pretty much its own world in there.
Yeah, that is one of the pictures I can see from where I'm sitting right now. I took a picture of the Partners statue in front of the pink castle cake that year and made an 8x10 print that I put up after we returned home and has been up since then. I am glad they didn't keep it pink though :shock: It was only for the 25th anniversary though :lol: Hard to tell what they will do for the 50th...in 10 years or so ;)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Sorry if I offended anyone with the castle cake comment...I am not fond of pink. Plus I thought they could have done better, maybe made the "cake" less whimsical. :? (I know it was for WDW's 25th...sorry if my wording was confusing. For the DL 50th, the castle went regal. It looked nice)

Amy - yes, I have been to WDW before (4 times) but neither one of us has ever stayed on property before. So we're calling this our first true trip to WDW. I am looking forward to staying within the walls of Disney, and not having to face the real world every night when we leave the parks. :mrgreen:

Since we're talking castles, does anyone know when WDW will take down the holiday icicle lights on the castle? We're hoping to at least catch a glimpse of them in January...especially since we haven't even seen them in person at DL.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 20, 2011 8:32 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Sorry if I offended anyone with the castle cake comment...I am not fond of pink. Plus I thought they could have done better, maybe made the "cake" less whimsical. :? (I know it was for WDW's 25th...sorry if my wording was confusing. For the DL 50th, the castle went regal. It looked nice)

Amy - yes, I have been to WDW before (4 times) but neither one of us has ever stayed on property before. So we're calling this our first true trip to WDW. I am looking forward to staying within the walls of Disney, and not having to face the real world every night when we leave the parks. :mrgreen:

Since we're talking castles, does anyone know when WDW will take down the holiday icicle lights on the castle? We're hoping to at least catch a glimpse of them in January...especially since we haven't even seen them in person at DL.
No offense taken, that pink really was horrendous :shock: :lol: But the decorations were fun!
Ahhhh, DL's 50th, gotcha! Yeah, that confuzzled me ~ but it doesn't take much sometimes ;) :lol:
Ok, I thought you had been to WDW before. You will loooooooove staying on property! It is so relaxing to hop from your resort onto the bus, to the parks, wherever you want to go on property, and then go back to your resort each night without having to worry about traffic or getting lost.
I don't know how long the lights stay up. I know the Osborne Lights are listed as staying through January 3. And Cinderella's Holiday Wish Stage Show is also listed as being through January 3rd...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Sorry, MmeLeota, but they usually get the holiday decorations down no later than Jan 6th in the past. Given what Amy was able to find, it looks this year it will be earlier on Jan 3rd...

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Wow they end it that early? Usually for DLR we get a week or so into January for decor and then possibly another week for the rides.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:50 am

By arriving on the 5th, I was hoping to still catch a glimpse of at least the castle....

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 7:11 am

With the marathon weekend January 5 - 8, I wonder if they want to have the holiday decor down with all the crowds? You might luck out on the lights on the castle though, I would think those might be among the last to go since they are so pretty ~ I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyhow!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 9:17 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Wow they end it that early? Usually for DLR we get a week or so into January for decor and then possibly another week for the rides.
A castmember had told me DL went through January 6th as many guests who celebrated Dia de Reyes (Day of the Magi), the hispanic equivalent to Christmas. I have no idea if this truely the reason.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 9:35 am

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Wow they end it that early? Usually for DLR we get a week or so into January for decor and then possibly another week for the rides.
A castmember had told me DL went through January 6th as many guests who celebrated Dia de Reyes (Day of the Magi), the hispanic equivalent to Christmas. I have no idea if this truely the reason.
They could be talking about Epiphany as well ~ when the 3 wise men arrived

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 21, 2011 4:10 pm

I think Day of the Magi isn't just latin, I think that is an orthodox holiday, also armenian christmas is celebrated later on. I think it has to do with braiding the body hair :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:09 pm

B-dude and I hope to make to DL someday! I would love to visit where Walt actually walked the grounds! Like walking on hallowed ground. I don't think anything could ever take WDW's place in my heart though, it's what I've grown up with and all I've known!

I wish they would leave the Osborne lights and lights on the Castle up a bit longer. My parent's have never seen any of that! We arrive on Jan. 4th, so we will miss Osborne by one day. Hopefully the Castle will still be lit?!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:15 pm

boilerbabe wrote:B-dude and I hope to make to DL someday! I would love to visit where Walt actually walked the grounds! Like walking on hallowed ground. I don't think anything could ever take WDW's place in my heart though, it's what I've grown up with and all I've known!

I wish they would leave the Osborne lights and lights on the Castle up a bit longer. My parent's have never seen any of that! We arrive on Jan. 4th, so we will miss Osborne by one day. Hopefully the Castle will still be lit?!
That's too bad you can't go down one or two days earlier so they can see the lights. Everyone should experience the Osborne lights at least once ~ pictures just can't do it justice!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:B-dude and I hope to make to DL someday! I would love to visit where Walt actually walked the grounds! Like walking on hallowed ground. I don't think anything could ever take WDW's place in my heart though, it's what I've grown up with and all I've known!

That's too bad you can't go down one or two days earlier so they can see the lights. Everyone should experience the Osborne lights at least once ~ pictures just can't do it justice!
I agree! But with work and the holidays it's just not possible. Someday! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:20 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
Amy wrote:

I agree! But with work and the holidays it's just not possible. Someday! :D
It's always good to have a reason to go back ~ as if any of us need a reason ;)