Disneyland or Disney World

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 10, 2010 11:26 am

Boilerbabe, you would feel "at home" there in DL. You will gain a new love and respect for what the Imagineers did when they built the MK in Orlando, essentially creating an East Coast DL. In that respect, you won't feel out of place.

Now, it is setup just a little different, which at first will feel kind of like you are in a weird dream. Like, you know where something should be, but it's not. The transitions between the lands are different as well, not to mention having the Matterhorn right there. It doesn't take long at all to get your bearings straight though and you'll feel like a DL pro in no time.

One nice advantage that DLR has over WDW is that everything is right there in one spot. So you don't have to walk far at all to go from DL to DCA or Downtown Disney. It was funny when we were there getting ready to leave DL to go to Downtown Disney and we had to go ask a CM how to get there. He politely pointed to our right, we turned our heads, and there it was, a few hundred feet away. We just weren't expecting everything to be right there. :lol:

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Shouldn't this be Disneyland or WDW's MK? I can't see how you can compare one park to the whole of WDW. I can't see how you could compare DLR to WDW. You're trying to compare apples to oranges!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

soldhamgm
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by soldhamgm » Mar Wed 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Love this question! Though, yes Jacca, you're absolutely right. You can't compare both resort complexes as a whole ... but MK vs. DL? Game on. I've had the privilege of going to both in the last two months, though not my first time for either. Continuing with the recent posting theme ... thanks for the breakdown, BIG. However, there are a few things that I must say in contention.

Castle ... a tie? really?
I think calling Sleeping Beauty's a better lead-in is extremely subjective. Perhaps this is my east-coast bias talking, but the sheer size of Cinderella's has to give it the ultimate edge. I don't think there's any way around that.

Totally agreed with Fantasyland (more rides, though nothing competes with Philharmagic) and Main Street being better at DL.

Tomorrowland ... Disneyland. Hands down.
Space Mountain is better, though I love the refurb at MK. But to have Star Tours and, now, the return of Captain EO are things Mike W and Stitch don't have a prayer of giving a run for their money. And though I enjoy CoP for the history, once it's been done - unless you're avoiding the Florida sun or rain - then it's been done.

Again, agreed on Liberty Square/New Orleans, though you didn't mention the food! Food options at MK are pathetic in comparison. And yes, riding POTC at MK is just depressing.

I'll give you Frontierland ... pretty much a toss-up for me.

But Adventureland ... based on your individual categories, I'm surprised you still end up with DL being the winner. Though I totally agree with your final result, your methods to get there intrigue me. Whether its Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise (my guides always seem to be funnier at DL) or the Tiki Room ... which I can't stand (sorry, I'm 25. It's not meant for me) ... DL takes the cake here too.

Still, good words, my friend :mickey:

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Ahh...forgot about Tiki Room...

I will give Adventureland to DL then. That right there is enough to swing my vote completely.

As for the castle...I mentioned the difference in size...but I really do believe DL has a better lead-in to Fantasyland. The reasoning is that the theming flows much better with Sleeping Beauty's look and feel to the village-like theme of Fantasyland behind it. When you walk through the castle to Fantasyland...I just think it flows a little better.

I wanted to talk about Blue Bayou, but figured since DL already won the category it wasn't necessary. But yes...it is amazing and to have the beginning of POTC go by is about as good as it gets.

Tomorrowland in DL is just a little weird. What used to be CoP is now Innoventions? What the heck? Very odd, plus the fact that there is no PeopleMover or RocketRods or anything. It seemed very "abandoned" to me. I guess MK suffers from the same a bit, but it is better now. Star Tours is great, as is Captain EO coming back, so I will call it a draw.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Mar Fri 12, 2010 11:17 am

I love Walt Disney World and if I had my choice of where to go, I'd always choose WDW over Disneyland. With that said, my first Disney Park I ever visited was the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland back in 1975. Nothing since has blown me away the way Disneyland did.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

dmxwidget
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by dmxwidget » Mar Tue 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I go to WDW regularly...but it was nice to see DL during the 50th when we made our trip out there. Everyone should try to make it to both coasts, it was a great experience.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 16, 2010 1:35 pm

I have been to both, and will always love DL over MK. DL has the charm and the magic I don't ever feel in WDW. BIG, as far as the castle goes, I completely agree. Yes, Cinderella's castle is something to behold with the sheer size of it. However, the flow through Sleeping Beauty's castle and into the village makes it feel like you've walked right into a fairy tale. I think that was one of the best remodels the Imagineers came up with!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I think DL's Autopia is far better than the Tomorrowland Speedway at MK.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

soldhamgm

Post by soldhamgm » Mar Wed 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Perhaps the reason Sleeping Beauty's castle is being better received in this blog is because Fantasyland itself is better at DL. Therefore, you can say one flows better into the other because MK's Fantasyland is severely lacking in comparison to the splendor of Cinderella's castle. Hopefully when construction is finished on the new Fantasyland at WDW, this debate can be put to rest ... somewhat.

ntgre
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: Disneyland or Disney World

Post by ntgre » Sep Tue 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Are the attractions at DL better than in WDW?

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Sep Tue 20, 2011 1:46 pm

My wife and I are doing "Coast-to-coast" this year! We went to DL in June and will go to WDW in October (12 days!). We've both been to WDW many times and have been to DL also but long ago and not together. While we really enjoyed DL we still consider WDW "Home".

I wouldn't say that DL is better or worse than WDW, other than WDW being much larger with the extra parks...if you consider that better. On the other hand DL, along with DCA, has quite a lot to offer and the flavor of most of the WDW attractions in a smaller space...I think there is a transition from place to place at DL rather than a break that you have at WDW. We did find that we had to remind ourselves that DL was the original that WDW is based on, and not the other way around! And we had to find our way around like newbies (we even used a map!) the first couple days. There are things we like better at DL and things we don't but we do plan on going back sometime. As a WDW regular, I think it is certainly worthwhile going to DL and the other way around too!

As a side note...we did notice that, for us, it was more expensive to get to California than it is to get to Florida. Transportation to and from the Airport is more convenient in Florida with Magic Express and I think that gets you "Disneyfied" quicker than at DL. Overall I think you are more immersed at WDW than at DL but DL does a really good job getting you into the magic. If that makes any sense!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Alacrity wrote:My wife and I are doing "Coast-to-coast" this year! We went to DL in June and will go to WDW in October (12 days!). We've both been to WDW many times and have been to DL also but long ago and not together. While we really enjoyed DL we still consider WDW "Home".

I wouldn't say that DL is better or worse than WDW, other than WDW being much larger with the extra parks...if you consider that better. On the other hand DL, along with DCA, has quite a lot to offer and the flavor of most of the WDW attractions in a smaller space...I think there is a transition from place to place at DL rather than a break that you have at WDW. We did find that we had to remind ourselves that DL was the original that WDW is based on, and not the other way around! And we had to find our way around like newbies (we even used a map!) the first couple days. There are things we like better at DL and things we don't but we do plan on going back sometime. As a WDW regular, I think it is certainly worthwhile going to DL and the other way around too!

As a side note...we did notice that, for us, it was more expensive to get to California than it is to get to Florida. Transportation to and from the Airport is more convenient in Florida with Magic Express and I think that gets you "Disneyfied" quicker than at DL. Overall I think you are more immersed at WDW than at DL but DL does a really good job getting you into the magic. If that makes any sense!
Good points! The first time we visited DL we were amazed at how easy it was to get around. We would look at the map, planning which attraction we wanted to see next, set out walking and turn the corner and we were there! DL is much kinder to your feet than WDW ~ that is for sure :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 20, 2011 2:28 pm

If we're comparing "Magic Kingdoms", how did we leave Disneyland Paris (DLP) and Tokyo Disneyland (TDL) out of this? Many of the problems with the USA Magic Kingdoms I think we're fixed when DLP's was built.

We can leave Hong Kong's out of the comparison because it's the smallest at the moment. But by 2013, it would be interesting to compare it to the USA counterparts.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Re:

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Tue 20, 2011 3:52 pm

soldhamgm wrote: Castle ... a tie? really?
I think calling Sleeping Beauty's a better lead-in is extremely subjective. Perhaps this is my east-coast bias talking, but the sheer size of Cinderella's has to give it the ultimate edge. I don't think there's any way around that.
Call me crazy but I think DL's castle is UGLY. WDW's is much more lovely to me and even better is DLP's, but since we're on American parks here... Nothing quite like Cinderella Castle, sorry. Even when I do get to go to DL I think this opinion will stay the same. I just think their castle isn't pretty at all.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Hubby and I have had this "argument" for years. (when he first went to DL, his reaction was "where's the castle?") I truly believe it depends on which park you visited first...your "home" park if you will.

One thing I really like about WDW (and have yet to experience...til January anyway) is that once you are on Disney property, you are surrounded by it. When you go on an attraction that lifts you high up, you see WDW...not the surrounding city.

Cinderella Castle is amazing and beautiful, but I really love the charm and innocence of Sleeping Beauty Castle. It may be small, but I love the stone work. (At least it wasn't turned into a giant, pink cake monstrosity for the 50th. ;) )

DL is my "home" park...I can feel Walt's presence there. There's something about the original park that really gets to me.

...but it doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to our first true WDW trip...