Disneyland or Disney World

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

EpcoT2891
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Disneyland or Disney World

Post by EpcoT2891 » Dec Wed 23, 2009 7:09 pm

My family and I have enjoyed the fun to be had at Walt Disney World for many years now, but we keep reminding each other that we need to go to Disneyland at least once, being that it is the original park. The only problem, is that we feel that we might miss too much of what is offered in Disney World, versus Disneyland. Can anyone with experience in this area , realize a big difference going from the Florida park to the California park? we're not planning on going to any park for a while now, but any advice/guidance would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Dec Tue 29, 2009 9:18 pm

It's been a long time since I've been to Disneyland, but I always remembered that I really loved Tom Sawyer's Island much better at Disneyland then at the Magic Kingdom and there were other differences that I liked better. The park is easy enough to do in a day and you could incorporate it into a nice Califorina vacation packed with other things like the Gates Museum in Malibu, the Tar Pits, Santa Monica, Old Town San Diego as well as all the different Museums in San Diego. Silver Beach (I believe it's called) in Coronado is also pretty nice. It was littered with Sand Dollars. DCA wasn't built yet when I was last at Disneyland so I can't comment on how that might help you make a decision. I did love Disneyland and plan on going again someday in the future.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Thu 31, 2009 1:43 pm

I grew up in SoCal, so Disneyland will always be home base for me. But now I live in Arizona and my work takes me to Orlando monthly, so I am just as comfortable around the WDW resort.

In my opinion, the WDW resort is better in every way than the DL resort. However, Disneyland is superior to Florida's Magic Kingdom. It's more intimate, has more attractions, has a better themed Fantasyland (although that may change), and has several classics you will not find anywhere else (e.g. Matterhorn.) Plus I like the shows better at Disneyland.

Notice I am only talking about DL here. DCA is lame. It has been since it opened. I have high hopes for the rennovation but right now there is zero reason to plan a trip to California with DCA as a factor. You can get all the "wow" attractions in Florida (Soarin, ToT, etc.)
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 06, 2010 5:38 pm

I would give the edge to the WDW resort. Disneyland is nice because it is small and you can get around easily but there is so much more to do and see in Florida! I remember the first time we went to DL MK we were amazed at how quickly you progressed from land to land since the park is so much smaller than WDW MK. But you do have that sense of awe that in DL, Walt walked through the park, and spent time in the firehouse apartment, that you just don't get in Florida.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Mar Sat 06, 2010 6:45 pm

I've only been to WDW since I live closer to it. I have heard that WDW is so much better than DL. But that's what I hear.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Sat 06, 2010 7:56 pm

WDW RULES!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Sun 07, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm looking forward to going to DL either this fall or next spring. But I doubt it will compare to WDW!!

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Mar Sun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Depends on what park you first visited....

Even tho I lived in Celebration and went to WDW nearly every day with friends, I first went to DL and for some reason have always loved that park more....

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 08, 2010 12:07 am

I visited Disney World first when I was around 6. I have been back 8 times since then. My first and only visit to Disneyland was in 2001 when I had just turned 11. I honestly know that Disneyland is the original and something that you must see. I do hope to visit it again in the future, but I prefer WDW over it. I honestly like how you are able to cut yourself off from the rest of the world in WDW. It offers you so much to do that it literally takes about a week just to see everything once. I honestly feel that Disneyland is something that you can easily accomplish and feel like you have seen it all in three days (or a long weekend).
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Mon 08, 2010 10:34 am

I have been going to WDW ever since I was 3. I would like to visit DL someday just b/c that is the original park and Walt was there. I know my heart will always belong to WDW though. But a visit to DL someday is a must for me. Just not sure when we'll get there?!

joeyflds
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by joeyflds » Mar Tue 09, 2010 10:07 am

We want to go Disneyland at least once, it just seems that if your a disney fanatic that you should make the pilgrimage at least once in your life.

Maybe one day we'll do it.

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 09, 2010 11:48 am

Gotta go with WDW. There is just so much more there. Admittedly I haven't been to DL since 1996 and I know they have improved and expanded a lot since then but there WDW is still the one for me.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Tue 09, 2010 5:48 pm

I went to DL in 2008...so most everything that is there now was there then I believe. Overall, you will be amazed at how similar it is to the MK. You will feel "at home" and walking down Main Street will be a joy.

Here's how I would break it down in terms of each land:

Main Street: DL
There is just more charm in DL...plus imagining Walt walking around gives you chills.

Castle: Tie
Cinderella's castle is bigger, and it makes Sleeping Beauty's look a little pathetic in terms of size. However, Sleeping Beauty's castle is much more colorful and a better lead-in to Fantasyland.

Tomorrowland: MK
Even though Space Mtn is better in DL, that is about all that is better. MK has the TTA and the CoP.

Fantasyland: DL
The theming in DL is superb. It is much better than the "festival" tents and such in MK. The teacups in DL are not covered like they are in MK. Also, they have rides that aren't in MK: Mr. Toad, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland. This could swing back to MK in 2012 after the refurb.

Liberty Square/New Orleans Square: DL
No comparison here. New Orleans has much more charm and beauty than old New England...same goes for their theme park counterparts. DL has POTC and HM...which are better than the ones in MK.

Frontierland: MK
I am including Critter Country in this with DL...but MK still wins. To me, it just has better theming, plus Tom Sawyer Island isn't run over by pirates in MK like it is in DL.

Adventureland: MK
MK has the original Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse...whereas DL has Tarzan. I like the overall theming of Adventureland in MK better...not sure why...but I do. DL does have Indiana Jones, but I don't think it's enough to pull ahead.

All that said...if I had to choose a park for just one day...I would choose DL. Why? It is more packed with attractions in each land because it doesn't have the luxury of being spread out over 4 parks. Sure, I think the majority of the "lands" are better in Florida, but I think as a whole, DL is better. If were going on vacation and not just making a day trip...MK all the way. I think that is the difference really...DL is geared more towards locals with APs and WDW is geared towards out-of-towners making a 4-7 day vacation.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Tue 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Nice break down fo the park theBIGyowski. I really want to visit DL someday, I just feel like I would be out of place. I'm so used to WDW. It might seem familiar to me but strange at the same time! I think I would be looking for things that aren't there ie. COP, TTA! But, def. want to make the pilgrimage someday!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Wed 10, 2010 10:53 am

theBIGyowski, I think I pretty much agree with you on all points. I grew up around WDW so I am a little biased. However, I have been blessed to get to DL twice and even once to DLP (which was amazing). But, if I had to choose the better park overall, I may also go with DL.