Google Latitude

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google Latitude

Post by horizons1 » Dec Fri 11, 2009 6:05 pm

If you use the Google Maps application on your phone you may have noticed a new feature called Google Latitude. Apparently, you can share your location with others. I was thinking, this would be really cool for a group to use at a park.

Not sure if it is tied to GPS or if a little "pin" just appears on the map that must be refreshed, but imagine the possiblities of locating your friends regardless of what land/pavilion/area they are in. Cool! I want to try this sometime.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Dec Mon 14, 2009 7:22 am

Horizons1,

The Google map on my phone uses the cell-phone tower to show your location. So ... you will know what cell tower your friends are using, but not their actual location.

Marco..... Polo?
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Tue 22, 2009 11:16 am

If you don't have GPS on your phone, then Google maps will triangulate using cell towers. However, with my phone, I can (depending upon the GPS signal reception) get detail down to 10 meters.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

withspirit

Post by withspirit » Dec Thu 24, 2009 1:15 pm

horizons1,

Wow! I didn't know. That makes this more interesting!
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 19, 2010 4:23 pm

That is pretty neat, but along those same lines, I'm thinking that if you all have cell phones, couldn't you simply call to see where everyone is at the time? Not as futuristic but perhaps more practical...

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by viking245 » Feb Sun 21, 2010 10:13 am

Amy wrote:That is pretty neat, but along those same lines, I'm thinking that if you all have cell phones, couldn't you simply call to see where everyone is at the time? Not as futuristic but perhaps more practical...
...unless they're inside the Aladdin or Nemo play or screaming on Terror and can't hear the phone. :wink:

Horizons1, I just recently noticed that feature on my G1. My 1st thought was "why?". But your point of using in the park(s) is a great idea.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Sun 21, 2010 11:12 am

Amy wrote:That is pretty neat, but along those same lines, I'm thinking that if you all have cell phones, couldn't you simply call to see where everyone is at the time? Not as futuristic but perhaps more practical...
It is a very good point, but I think viking245 really summed up the benefits of this. It can make communicating very easy in a place where talking is almost impossible.

However, this then poses the question of text messaging. Isn't that what you do when calling people is tough.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"