The return of Captain EO

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

The return of Captain EO

Post by Future Guy » Dec Wed 02, 2009 10:25 am

According to this MiceAge article Captain EO will be returning to Disneyland, EPCOT, and Tokyo in 2010.

I think this is another example of Disney arriving late to the party, the way they did with the American Idol Experience. Michael Jackson's death caused a brief surge of interest in him that's mostly subsided by now. I'm sure Disney will market the heck out of it, and there'll probably be a brief spike in attendance when EO first opens (probably because people will want to remember how Michael Jackson looked before he was replaced by an alien being in the '90s) It'll be short-lived, though, as Captain EO is so dated and cheesy that only a hardcore Michael Jackson fan could really love it. And there just aren't enough of those folks to sustain heavy attendance levels. Within a year of its debut, I predict EO will be pulling in less guests than the stale-and-moldy Honey, I Shrunk The Audience does now.

What do y'all think about this?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 02, 2009 1:17 pm

There have also been other articles and press releases stating these internet reports are just rumors. Last I remember Iger at D23 had a press conference where he shot down the possibility of having Captain Eo return to Disneyland any time soon. Also, these rumors had been discussed before in some other thread here on subsonic, but for the life of me I can't find it. Does anybody remember where?

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 02, 2009 1:34 pm

There was an article about this on EPCOT Central

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2009/11/captain-oh-no.html

I agree with him. It's old and should be there anymore.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Wed 02, 2009 3:17 pm

I don't think they should bring it back. I'm with that article Sub posted.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I saw you blog post Futureguy! I liked reading the numbers on how much EO cost. It's really sad to see Disney spend 6 BILLION to buy Marvel but can't drop several million to update/create quality attractions. Sigh.

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Dec Wed 02, 2009 7:46 pm

I wouldn't mind it if it were presented as a temporary retro thing...a nice little extra. If it's "Hey! Come see our new old thing!" that would be disappointing for all involved.

That said, I never really liked EO. It wasn't really themed to the Imagination pavilion in Epcot. OK, it was kind of imaginative, but then so is every movie. It had nothing to do with the concept of imagination itself.

If they were going to go the retro route, I'd love to see Magic Journeys again, although even better would be a remake (or "reimagining") of the film with better tech, new styles, and fresh ideas.

But then they couldn't plunk it down in Tomorrowland and get a twofer. Well, maybe they'd do the same thing they do in the rest of Future World and promote decades old tech as the Wave of the Future:

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Captain EO was made for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. I agree it doesn't quite fit into the Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT. Lord Forbid Disney actually make themed movies. EO, Honey, Soarin'... case in point.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmm...looks like it opened at Epcot a few days before Disneyland. I wonder if it was designed from the start to be a twofer.

While it sucks when they shoehorn some attraction clone in a place it doesn't belong, it's even more inexcusable when they do the same with something they built from the ground up (like MILF).

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Dec Fri 04, 2009 8:46 am

I for one would really like to see EO - though it looks truly horrid from the things I've seen online! It'd make a great Halloween overlay too.

I'd like to see Magic Journeys as well, hopefully I won't be as terrified as I was when I was eight. :roll:

It would be perfect as a temporary retro feature while they work on something really great (if you can dream it...).
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Dec Fri 11, 2009 3:33 pm

I have never been a huge MJ fan, but I have always loved Captain EO!!! I have always been a sci fi fan, and I still watch it on DVD now!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Fri 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I wait to judge. After some of the other stuff Disney has tried. I guess it depends on who at Disney gets the task. Like I said, I'll wait and see.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Fri 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I too would love to see EO for retro purposes. It's not the same watching it on the DVD. But, I would not like it as a permanent change. I love the idea of a Halloween overlay. But realisticly, I think there is too much involved to make the change over (unless all the technology has been brought up to speed).

It would be fine to bring back EO as an interim attraction while a replacement for HISTA is being worked on...crossed fingers for a fabulous new attraction!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Fri 11, 2009 5:44 pm

I enjoyed Captain EO and welcome any replacement for HISTA, even a temporary one.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Fri 11, 2009 6:47 pm

HISTA to EO - wow, that would be like stepping out of a car crash and getting nailed by a bus! EO should stay in the vault. And as Disney and Pixar are doing all these 3D animated movies now - why now do one for DL's tomorrowland? A separate one for Imagination in EPCOT? For DL's tomorrowland: why not do a 3D animated short based on Meet the Robinsons? It would be a better fit than HISTA.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Fri 11, 2009 6:53 pm

For DL's tomorrowland: why not do a 3D animated short based on Meet the Robinsons?
I think that would be a fabulous idea! It would be a perfect fit in both instances...TL because well, it's the future. But it would also fit for EPCOT because the innoventiveness (I can no longer say those 2 words separately...thanks Disney) in the story...Lewis was full of imagination.