78%
I could care less about Hidden Mickey's
4%

Total votes: 55

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Dec Tue 01, 2009 8:38 am

DD picks them out everywhere we go. The poor child has got it BAD!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Tue 01, 2009 9:15 am

Couldn't tell if that was really a h.m. on the shield or not.

But I gotta tell y'all what happened last night. My DW and I were eating at the Rainforest Cafe in Katy Mills Mall (near Houston, where we live) when the manager came by to chat. He got to talking about other locations, and mentioned that he used to work at the one in AK. Turns out he's also a former CM, and we had a great time chatting about all things Disney. When we started talking about h.m's, he laughed and said that he was a h.m. fanatic too! In fact, he pointed out how the patterns in the art on one of the tables formed a h.m. when you looked at it from a certain angle. Sure enough! We all got a kick out of that.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Honestly. I think of a hidden mickey has being something that was purposely meant to be mickey ears. Something man made. If it's like a marking on a cow or the way something grows I don't consider that "hidden". It's coincidence. Not everything is meant to be a hidden mickey. People need to stop reading into it so much.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 02, 2009 2:40 pm

subsonic wrote:Honestly. I think of a hidden mickey has being something that was purposely meant to be mickey ears. Something man made. If it's like a marking on a cow or the way something grows I don't consider that "hidden". It's coincidence. Not everything is meant to be a hidden mickey. People need to stop reading into it so much.
I agree, subsonic. It reminds me of those people who see the face of some religious figure in a potato chip. Any resemblance - if there really is any - is a crazy coincidence. Same with the mickey's head icon. A Hidden Mickey was designed intentionally in the first place to be a secret tidbit to see if people are watching...

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Wed 02, 2009 5:46 pm

mindflipper wrote:
subsonic wrote:Honestly. I think of a hidden mickey has being something that was purposely meant to be mickey ears. Something man made. If it's like a marking on a cow or the way something grows I don't consider that "hidden". It's coincidence. Not everything is meant to be a hidden mickey. People need to stop reading into it so much.
I agree, subsonic. It reminds me of those people who see the face of some religious figure in a potato chip. Any resemblance - if there really is any - is a crazy coincidence. Same with the mickey's head icon. A Hidden Mickey was designed intentionally in the first place to be a secret tidbit to see if people are watching...
Oh, come on y'all! We know that!
The point is that it's fun to "find" mickeys everywhere you go and everywhere you look. We don't mean to be like those freaks who "see" the Virgin Mary or something like that in a burnt sandwich or whatever, and then get all psycho over it. We're just playing around and having fun. Geez....... :roll:

But when it comes to "real" hidden Mickey's (i.e. ones that were intentionally created), it is even more fun to spot them and tell others about it. In fact, there is actually at least one book that's been published on the subject. We had fun one year carrying it with us and finding the ones listed. There are more new ones since that was written (such as on Toy Story Mania, which I've mentioned before), so it's fun to find them and add to the list.

So anyway..... on with the show.... :mickey3:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 02, 2009 7:24 pm

Mousekedude, I'm knocking you if you enjoy finding mickey-shaped objects where-ever you look (TG you don't go psycho over it). Knock yourself out! :D

However, to me, a Hidden Mickey means someone had to hide the mickey intentionally, and the fun of finding it is that it's usually hidden in plain sight. But when it's accidental or unintentional by design, then to me it's not a mickey that was done to be a Hidden Mickey. Make sense?

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Dec Wed 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey let me start with a big "Thanks for the great site!" As far as your comment:

A "Real" Hidden Mickey
A true Hidden Mickey is one that is not meant to be seen immediately, and is usually placed purposefully by a Disney Imagineer or artist in a context that would not normally contain Mickey Mouse. When the shape of Mickey Mouse is used as an obvious part of the design, such as Mickey ears on the top of lampposts, it is considered decorative and sometimes referred to as a "decor Mickey." Additionally, formations of the iconic head and ears have been spotted in nature or even on animals, but they are also not Hidden Mickeys. The general rule is: "Not associated with Disney, not a Hidden Mickey."[2]

According to Wikipedia, they would agree with you, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy looking or "finding" Mickey's where ever you go. So maybe I should change the thread's name to Mickey's Where Ever You Go." Wikipedia went on to call Hidden Mickey's at Diseny locations "True Hidden Mickey's" as opposed to those people find anywhere else.

PS - The poll has those with less imagination out numbered :D

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm just glad I'm not alone with my affliction! We could start a support group! What am I saying...this is a support group!!

"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

imaginationcelebration

Post by imaginationcelebration » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:
I disagree with your description...people that see the face of some religious figure in a potato chip think that it is divinely created and placed purposely...we that look for mickey's everywhere are just looking for mickey's and realize they aren't intentional. Huge difference, unless god is really mickey mouse and it all is intentional....wait a minute I may be on to something here...the first church of latter day mouse-a-holics. We could have a tax free existence.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm not knocking people who can find Mickey's in coincidental shapes. I'm just saying I don't consider those Hidden Mickeys. It just irks me when someone points to a mickey shape on a cow and calls it a hidden mickey when it's not. :)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

imaginationcelebration

Post by imaginationcelebration » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:25 pm

subsonic wrote:I'm not knocking people who can find Mickey's in coincidental shapes. I'm just saying I don't consider those Hidden Mickeys. It just irks me when someone points to a mickey shape on a cow and calls it a hidden mickey when it's not. :)

Don't get me wrong I do agree with you, "Hidden Mickey" even in it's name cries "intentional" and therefore can't be just a random thing that coincidentally looks like Mickey. I should have been more careful in how I described some of the "Mickey's"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:49 pm

I personally refer to them as hidden mickey's since they look similar to the actual hidden mickey's that I love to spot when in WDW. For me, calling them hidden mickey's is a way of reliving all the fun that I had even though I know these are almost all non-intentional. However, there are those of us who intentionally hid mickey's in our houses. Would those constitute as legitimate hidden mickey's?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Wed 02, 2009 8:58 pm

I just cleaned my fish tank, and I placed a "Hidden Mickey" with some of the rocks for others to find! :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Maybe there needs to be a separate term created for those Mickeys that people see that are, in fact, not intentionally created Hidden Mickeys in the theme-park?

imaginationcelebration

Post by imaginationcelebration » Dec Wed 02, 2009 9:56 pm

I say call it whatever you feel is appropriate, some are obviously intentional and some are obviously coincidental and if there is a question as to the nature of one I leave it up to people to give their opinion. That's my method, feel free to come up with a term for mickey's that are unintentional if you want. Who knows, maybe it will stick :D

As for me, here is some hidden mickey philosophy in action:

Ok, I am calling this one at the Canadian Pavilion a "True Hidden Mickey" because I feel it was intentional:

Do you see it?

If not, here is one more:

I think it's intentional because it is comprised of nearly perfect round stones while the other stones in the structure are oblong and because it is almost perfectly upright. What do you think?
Last edited by imaginationcelebration on Feb Mon 08, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.