List of never built disney attractions and theme parks

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

List of never built disney attractions and theme parks

Post by MetalRage » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:26 pm

I found on wikipedia a list of attractions, Resorts and theme parks disney never made.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ne ... ttractions

Disney's America Theme Park seems kinda interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_America
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Ooooo interesting!!!! Thanks for sharing!

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:55 pm

your welcome!! I thought everyone here would enjoy looking at this. :mrgreen:
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 12:03 am

Wow that is amazing. I had forgotten how big an influence the death of Jim Henson had on the development of MGM Studios. A lot of the things on this list I had no idea about. A very interesting read.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 12:25 am

I like these ideas. Perhaps another park should incorporate them.... :mrgreen:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 11:20 pm

Soarin08 wrote:I like these ideas. Perhaps another park should incorporate them.... :mrgreen:
Great idea, only problem I see though is that there is no central theme to incorporate this other than being rejected ideas... So what does it get called? Reject Kingdom? AND do the lands get themed according to what park each idea was supposed to go in?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Mon 28, 2009 4:18 am

I've seen the link to this here and there and I wish that some of these were built. They would have been great to see.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Mon 28, 2009 9:16 am

WOW! This is really cool. Too bad, so many great ideas that never took form. There seemed to be alot of ideas of a "Matter-Horn" style ride in several different parks of WDW. Too bad none of those ever made it.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:03 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for posting!

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Nov Sun 15, 2009 9:51 am

This looks interesting, I can't wait to look through it all. Thanks for the link.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sun 15, 2009 10:55 am

Disney's America Park had a protest movement started against, and Disney let it died because of the publicity.

Spain, Israel, and Equitorial Africa were advertized with billboards in the park. I think somehow I have pics of those signs.

Soviet Union concept art was displayed in the MK in MS for a while, then taken down. It was also the same time they had the concept art for Timekeeper (which did happen), Roger Rabbit (which was only DL in the end), and Journey to the Center of the Earth (which got cancelled for MGM, but revived for DisneySea).

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sun 15, 2009 11:07 am

They range from WOW, to what were they thinking. I wonder how many of these actually made to a concept board, no less any real planing? Yes I do realize some had gone so far as to have billboards.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sun 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Many died in the planning & developing stage due to bad timing, lost of interest or other circumstances:

Israel was cancelled for security reasons, and Iran never left the concept stage for the same reason. Spain was a display board, and even had press releases from the government of Spain about its cooperation and possible date of opening - but in the end, never happened. The fall of communist Soviet Union caused that to fall through for a World Showcase pavillion (that, and some human rights violation publicity nightmare for the USSR at the time).

Roger Rabbit got dropped from the MK Toon Town after several legal lawsuits involving the character of Roger Rabbit (which is also why he got dropped from Spectromagic as the conductor of the Silly Symphony and replaced by the Genie voiced by Dan Castellaneta).

Journey to the Center of the Earth was a film in development, with the ride at MGM as a tie-in, but the film got cancelled, and so did the ride. It later got revived and retooled for TDL's DisneySea as part of the Jules Verne themed area, the Mysterious Island/Volcania. Oddly enough, Journey to the Center of the Earth was made into a movie (totally different production) starring Brendan Fraser and was done in 3D.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sun 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Mind sometimes you are just a font.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sun 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Over the past two decades or more, Disney has had several large lawsuits over its films and theme-parks, such as Roger Rabbit, Winnie the Pooh, Irving Berlin/When You Wish Upon a Star, Fantasia, and Peggy Lee/Lady and the Tramp. It's been fun to follow their progress.

And then there's been corporate skirmishes with Roy Disney, Michael Ovitz, Eisner, and so on...

Why, there's so many corporate wheeling & dealing and battles going on it would make J.R. Ewing blush!

And in the end, they do have their impacts on the theme-parks and its development...