In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Disney to spread cruise ships around the world

Post by ericpabear » Sep Fri 11, 2009 12:18 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... 7553.story

With a larger new ship arriving at Port Canaveral in 2011, Disney Cruise Line will send existing ships to Alaska and Europe

12:25 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2009
Disney Cruise Line, whose fleet is about to double in size, is preparing to spread its ships around the world.
The company announced today that it will send its Disney Wonder cruise ship to Alaska during the summer of 2011, its first foray into one of the cruise industry's most popular and lucrative markets. At the same time, the company will send the Disney Magic ship back to Europe for another summer of sailings in the Mediterranean Sea.
Disney Cruise Line will be able to offer multiple far-flung destinations in 2011 because the year marks the arrival of the Disney Dream, the first of two new massive ocean liners the company is having built in Germany. Although Disney has not yet announced an itinerary for the new ship, which is expected to arrive near the beginning of 2011, it will spend the year sailing out of Disney's longtime base at Port Canaveral.
The Dream will be joined at the Brevard County seaport in 2012 by the Disney Fantasy. The new ships will hold about 4,000 passengers each -- compared with 2,700 each for the Magic and Wonder -- and will include new features such as water slides that extend beyond their decks and over open water.
Disney, which announced plans for the new ships in early 2007, has been itching to expand its cruise footprint for years. The company views cruising as a valuable growth engine, offering both an opportunity to introduce the Disney brand to consumers in new markets and to capture more vacation spending from devoted company fans.
"The beauty of the Disney Cruise Line -- and the expansion of this fleet -- is it truly is a fantastic growth opportunity. This investment makes sense for the company," said Karl Holz, president of Disney Cruise Line and New Vacation Operations.
The Wonder will spend about four months in Alaska beginning in early May of 2011, offering seven-night sailings out of Vancouver, B.C. To prepare for the new climate, the ship will undergo an extensive overhaul during a dry dock in which crews will add a 2,500-square-foot, enclosed viewing area on a top deck.
"When you go to Alaska, you need to be prepared," Holz said. "The weather can be absolutely perfect -- and it can also be on the chilly side."
The Wonder will spend the rest of 2011 sailing seven-night voyages along the Mexican Riviera out of its new home port in Los Angeles. The Wonder has been based at Port Canaveral but will move with the arrival of the Dream.
Aside from its three months in the Mediterranean, the Magic will spend the rest of 2011 sailing familiar seven-night Caribbean itineraries out of Port Canaveral. The ship is expected to get a new permanent home in 2012, when the Fantasy begins sailing out of the Brevard County port.
Asked about the future of the Magic, Holz said to look at the ship as "a sort of globe-trotting ship."
"Our guests have told us all along, 'We want to go to new places. We want to go to exotic locations,' " Holz said. "And frankly, there are options beyond those that we're talking about today."

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by viking245 » Sep Wed 16, 2009 9:22 am

Does anyone know about how much the Disney cruise to Alaska will cost? Or do I have to wait until September 28th to see? We've never been on a cruise before and what better way to make our maiden voyage than with Disney. I figure if we start stocking our pennies away now, we might be able to afford it. Or maybe we need to stock away quarters or dollar bills.

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Sep Wed 16, 2009 9:29 am

I would love to do the Disney cruise in Alaska. Alaska is gorgeous and then add in the Disney magic. It would be SOOOO worth it.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » May Sun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

I thought I'd revive this one since the Dream has been announced & the Alaska schedules have been revealed.

I don't know if I would take a dcl ship to Alaska. The only reason being that in Alaska you cruise around towards the glaciers - this makes being outside on deck very cold so you need a good place indoors w/ panorama windows to view the outdoors, this is not a feature that the disney ships have.

They use their panorama spots for the restaurant and gym, neither space being somewhere you would lounge about looking at glaciers.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

This is good information. I didn't realize Disney had a cruise to Alaska ~ my Mom has always wanted to go to Alaska and I think a Disney ship might be a good way to do it...even if you have to work out to get the best views of the glaciers swimming by...

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Disney to spread cruise ships around the world

Post by disneylizzy » May Sun 23, 2010 10:33 am

I'm just hoping that with more ships (and more capacity) the prices for some dcl cruises might go down!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Sun 23, 2010 11:44 am

disneylizzy wrote:I'm just hoping that with more ships (and more capacity) the prices for some dcl cruises might go down!
Yeah, I second that one!!! We went on the Disney cruise in '99, the first year of the cruise, it cost my family a pretty penny and we've never been back, even though we loved it, just too $$$!

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Sun 23, 2010 2:23 pm

One of these days I'd love to go on a Disney cruise. I may have to go on my own or see if my friends and I could start raking up the cash.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Tue 25, 2010 10:35 am

DD requested a DCL cruise instead of a big bat mitzvah party last year. I was so happy. We went with my best friend who's also her godmother. We had a great time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 25, 2010 7:25 pm

momeja wrote:DD requested a DCL cruise instead of a big bat mitzvah party last year. I was so happy. We went with my best friend who's also her godmother. We had a great time.
Sounds like you raised your DD well! ;)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Thu 27, 2010 4:44 pm

disneylizzy wrote:I'm just hoping that with more ships (and more capacity) the prices for some dcl cruises might go down!
I'm with ya on that one! It's part of the reason why we haven't gone on one yet...

We've been on one cruise and I'm itching to go on another one!

momeja

Post by momeja » May Fri 28, 2010 11:30 am

Amy wrote:
momeja wrote:DD requested a DCL cruise instead of a big bat mitzvah party last year. I was so happy. We went with my best friend who's also her godmother. We had a great time.
Sounds like you raised your DD well! ;)
I'm doing my best. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 28, 2010 12:41 pm

momeja - did you ever write a trip report for the cruise? Do you have any pictures to share? Were you on the ship that had the Animator's Palate dining room? That sounds like a very cool place to have dinner :D

momeja

Post by momeja » May Fri 28, 2010 10:30 pm

I took lots of pictures, but I never wrote a trip report. We were on the ship with Animator's Palate. It was very, very cool.

Here's one picture of my DD and me with Minnie on the ship. We had just gotten matching dresses in Key West. It's great having a daughter who doesn't mind dressing up with her mom. :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Aw! That is a nice pic momeja ~ thanks for sharing :D I'd be interested in hearing more about your dining in the Animator's Palate as well!