Walt Disney Co. Acquiring Marvel

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Tue 01, 2009 8:22 am

Len90 wrote:Hopefully Disney will not incorporate the Marvel characters into the park. I see this as a very smart move. Disney is able to use this to gain an edge on the competition since they now make money off of their main competitor. I am just hoping that Disney remains smart with this and not market Marvel merchandise in the parks. I just can't see myself buying superman Mickey and Spider Goofy. Let Universal have the Marvel characters and let Disney keep itself the way it is.
Superman is DC not Marvel ;)

I think a lot of the concerns w/ park infiltration of Marvel characters are overblown. Disney didn't buy Marvel for the parks; they bought it for the multi-billion dollar toy industry and movie rights. Comic book based movies have been killer at the box-office. Spiderman was the one to topple Titanic's monster taking in the US, only to be taken by another comic hero, Batman. If you look up highest grossing movies of all time you'll see Spidey there all 3 times in the top 15, Batman there at least once, and Iron Man, if not others.

And as much as the movies make at the theaters, you better believe that the t-shirts, toys, dvds and videogames et al are really where you're making your money.

I would be only slightly more worried about seeing Marvel in the parks than Lost or Desperate Housewives (which brings up a whole new point to all the comic fanboys and girls who think this is the "end of Marvel," and the comics will be toned down; ABC broadcasts some pretty darn edgy stuff and it's owned by Disney). I could foreseeable see them do one of those crappy streetmosphere style stage shows a la TMNT and Power Rangers in DHS w/ the Fantastic 4 or something. I don't think they're going to do a whole lot in terms of actual attractions they have to invest a whole lot in, especially considering IOA has the edge there. Unless they turn a whole section of a park (which I doubt they will, although Pixar has really injected itself in places I'd never imagined it to have) it probably wouldn't be worth the money to try to make a Marvel inspired ride to compete w/ Spiderman, because unfortunately, it will almost certainly lose.

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Sep Tue 01, 2009 10:32 am

Islands Of Adventure might just rename that section and rename/redo the rides. But i really don't see how Marvel Comics and Disney can go together........i don't know. :|
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Sep Tue 01, 2009 10:54 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:I think a lot of the concerns w/ park infiltration of Marvel characters are overblown.
In several of the articles I read, Iger made reference to Marvel being great fit for the "parks". I'm not sure if it was Iger who specifically mentioned that Spider-Man would be a good character to walk around the parks. We imagine the Punisher will not.

Since their current MO is to jam existing properties anywhere they can, I don't imagine an entire themed Marvel land, just further corruption of some unrelated area with something outside the theme.

The movie versions of the Marvel characters would make sense in the Studios, but they don't even stick to the studio theme there, so I suppose it hardly matters.

I wonder if I would hate the Living Seas with Namor more than the current incarnation...the ride could be "Where's Namor?!?" and then at the end the kids would shout "There he is!", maybe making out with Sue in a giant clam.
Last edited by Captain Schnemo on Sep Tue 01, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Sep Tue 01, 2009 11:05 am

May be this would be a good for for Disney to think about the villains park. Now with the Marvel properties they could go head to head against IOA. I'll have to think more on this.

Still, I'm the only one that see Disney posting a large loss this year and raising prices again!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 01, 2009 11:29 am

I don't like it, I think they should remain separate. But, that's just me, I'm not big into comics. I don't see how they fit into Disney parks? Even less than Pixar. I like Pixar, but I think we have enough now in the parks.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 01, 2009 12:24 pm

I definitely do not want to see the Marvel characters integrated into the parks. The only current park I might be able to picture them in would be DHS, but even so...no

So the first thought that came to mind was...there's your third Anaheim park...after that space is done being a parking lot, ample time will have gone by to incorporate Disney/Marvel. So if the space is freed up after the initial 6 years, I could forsee them building a park based on the Marvel characters...whether they still stick with the water park idea or not, who knows?

Please Mr. Iger...don't bring those characters to the parks!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Tue 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I can see an entire 5th park being all marvel. There is a market for it, and after watching the news this morning I wouldn't doubt it.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Tue 01, 2009 8:24 pm

When I first heard this yesterday, I thought someone was making a bad joke. Sadly...
Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:(which brings up a whole new point to all the comic fanboys and girls who think this is the "end of Marvel," and the comics will be toned down; ABC broadcasts some pretty darn edgy stuff and it's owned by Disney).
Long argument about this last night with one such person (though I'm not sure I'd call her a comic fangirl, particularly; not more than me, anyway). I pointed out Disney also owns Touchstone and ESPN but no, this obviously means Disney will suck the life out of Marvel. I find that a strange take on this scenario, and I'm not even in favor of it. Though on the other hand, I can actually understand people being touchy when some alien company starts invading their turf. *cough*PixarLasseter*cough*

To be honest, I'd be fine with this if I figured Disney just wanted to acquire a money maker and leave it be. The reason I'm not fine with it is Disney rarely does that. They're quite good at not leaving things be, in fact.
Captain Schnemo wrote:I wonder if I would hate the Living Seas with Namor more than the current incarnation...the ride could be "Where's Namor?!?" and then at the end the kids would shout "There he is!", maybe making out with Sue in a giant clam.
... I take what I said above back. I want to go on this ride.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Tue 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Sorry Mr.Toad. I honestly never read any comic books so I don't know who is who.
I just hope Disney does not go to use this in creating a monopoly. It would definitely only bring a lot of cons.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Tue 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't even know how I feel about this. I'm not a huge comic book reader but I've grown up watching a lot of Marvel cartoons over the years and watched the movie adaptations (though most were horrible) so who knows what will happen.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Wed 02, 2009 8:12 am

Well as a *gasp* shareholder of Disney, I'm hoping this will be a positive new revenue stream; though $4 billion is a lot of merchandise, dvds, movie tickets, and comic books to sell (presumably in that order) to break even. It is, a good long-term investment though I think (which is really the ONLY kind of investment imho).

I just honestly can't imagine:

a) Disney developing a whole park devoted to Marvel. It's not their thing to stray away from their own original content from being the central force behind a park. Mickey is always front and center, no matter how many Nemo and Buzz related attractions they add. I just find it hard to believe Disney can find a way to integrate Disney/Pixar characters w/ Marvel characters on a large scale. I realize people will argue that Disney did it with Pixar, but the difference is Pixar is much more akin to the original Disney characters as mostly sweet, charming, innocent little characters; not super powered, violent albeit heroes (and please don't say the Incredibles).

b) Disney jamming Marvel rides into the existing parks. This is for the same reason I mentioned above. I can see the use of Pixar in rides from the company's eyes. It seems to make sense. Pixar and Disney characters are kind of like cousins, if not siblings. The only reason they don't fit more seamlessly into the parks is because of how Disney has integrated them. Toy Story Mania works, why? Not just because it's awesome but because it's in DHS and even more now that they made a land for Pixar (which is exactly what they should have done to begin with). Laugh Floor Inc. and The Seas with Nemo don't work. Why? Well aside from the Nemo ride being a crap-fest (sorry fans if you even exist) it’s the placement. They jammed Nemo into a place you shouldn't or wouldn't expect to see him. Futureworld. Heck, if they made the ride a side-addition to the stage show at DAK I'd probably view it more favorably (though still wouldn't ride it) because it would fit better. Nemo makes sense in DAK. Laugh Floor I like but it make absolutely no sense that they are in Future World. They should have stuck them in Toon Town imo. Sorry getting way off point, my point is where Pixar COULD have been seamlessly been added to the parks if they used their brains a bit more I think Marvel is almost impossible to fit. The only place they could fit is DHS. But that's still a hard sell; though I suppose a lot of the park is just some nebulous space that doesn't really have theming other than "Production Lot." The only places I could see them getting away with it is one attraction in the building that houses the Narnia set/One Man's Dream (which I sincerely hope they don't remove for Iron Man) or really re-working the area around the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play ground (maybe removing it, it is kinda outdated and gross) and Backlot Tour area so that it's kind of adjacent to the Streets of America. Maybe add a 1950's style comic book store by the Prime Time.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Wed 02, 2009 8:24 am

Has everyone completely forgotten about the muppets???? No one complains about Disne buying and owning them. It's the same concept different crowd. Disney was very smart with this. Comic Con this year was gigantic. As it is, All night long on some of the Disney channels ( DX and 1 other), they show Marvel cartoons already. Let's face it, Disney buys popular brands, ESPN, ABC, The Muppets, and now Marvel.(and this is just a small sampling). And why are people seperating Pixar and DIsney characters? The movies they were all in are considered Disney/PIxar movies, hence DISNEY CHARACTERS. Walt Disney wanted people to use their imaginations and expand thinking. I would never believe a community of Disney followers would be so closed minded about something new to add. Just my 2 cents and this is not a personal attack towards anyone.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Sep Wed 02, 2009 9:10 am

Here's what I don't understand. I personally know CM's that have either been laid off or had their hours cut back because Disney was telling everybody how badly they were hit by the economics of our current situation. I know a few people who had to quit because they weren't making enough money to travel to WDW to go to work. This is the reason Disney gave for it's current price hike.

Now Disney has spent 4 BILLION dollars to buy Marvel. Everybody is worried about how Disney is going to use it's new acquisition in the parks. My worry is how is Disney going to use this to abuse the CM's. Remember these are the way under appreciated people who actually make the MAGIC! It's not the corporate types that are out there everyday making you trip something to remember. It's the front line people.

Is Disney going to cut back more hours, are they going to lay off more CM's, or are they going to tell the CM's about how they aren't making any money and can't give any CM raises? You know the CORPORATE types are going to get great big bonuses for this deal. Yes it makes me upset to see all those wonderful CM's get the shaft again!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Wed 02, 2009 9:13 am

Okay, why is everyone thinking Disney is going to stuff the characters in the parks? I understand they did that with Pixar, but Disney and Pixar have been involved since Pixar's founding. I don't see Disney making any moves with the Marvel characters in the parks until Universal tanks (which it is on its way now). In the meantime, Disney racks in the licensing fees from Universal. Meaning, Disney will make money off its largest competitor in Orlando. Why would they want to ruin that? UO is strapped right now building Harry Potter Land, they aren't going to want to retheme Marvelland until they are in a more comfortable situation. Disney is just preparing to make a profit off the anticipated success of Harry Potter Land. Perhaps we will start to see Spider Man walking around DHS after Harry Potter has fallen out of favor in a year or two, but in the meantime, I don't see Marvel creaping up just yet. Well, at least that is what I would do, if I were in charge at Disney.

And yes, Jacca, Disney will use this as an excuse to increase rates to cover the added expense.
Jacca5660 wrote:Now Disney has spent 4 BILLION dollars to buy Marvel. Everybody is worried about how Disney is going to use it's new acquisition in the parks. My worry is how is Disney going to use this to abuse the CM's. Remember these are the way under appreciated people who actually make the MAGIC! It's not the corporate types that are out there everyday making you trip something to remember. It's the front line people.
Technically, WDW is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company. It is WDW who is laying off employees and raising rates. The Walt Disney Company is the entity that spent 4 billion dollars on Marvel. WDW and WDC are independent of each other as far as operating costs are concerned. I am not justifying the move, just laying out the way it will be explained by the powers that be.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Sep Wed 02, 2009 11:12 am

agingerbugg wrote:Okay, why is everyone thinking Disney is going to stuff the characters in the parks?
Maybe because Iger is talking about it.

The Muppets is a good example of the right way to integrate properties, by the way. One little area, with a good, solid entertaining attraction, properly themed for the park it's in.

But it's also almost 20 years old, installed in the days when they still cared a little bit about theming.

Pixar is the more modern example, and while it's true the films are closer to the Disney style (although, I must point out, they have a lot of fundamental differences), the resulting mess is probably more indicative of their current thought processes.