D23 & Disney Family Museum

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Bullwinkle
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Bullwinkle » Sep Thu 24, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm bummed...one of the first premiere parties for the museum was tonite and although I was invited, I couldn't afford to go. Wahhhh
"Just remember, six out of seven Dwarfs are not Happy"

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Sep Sat 26, 2009 10:49 pm

"Just remember, six out of seven Dwarfs are not Happy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 28, 2009 5:48 pm

We went to the museum as part of the D23 preview.

We were blown away by the detail of the museum...there was so much to see. Of course, it also depends on your interests. There were lots of sketches and such from the early years, but there were also lots of family photos and early "films" when Walt was first testing out cameras on his family. I loved the stories that were told and learning more about his personal life and life before he created the Studios.

I had 2 favorite parts. I don't want to say too much because I want to leave some sort of element of surprise for anyone who plans on going. But since the model of Disneyland was mentioned in the article posted above, I will say that was one of my favorites. As far as my other favorite part goes, I will just say the elevator. Anyone else who has gone will know what I mean.

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Sep Tue 29, 2009 12:49 pm

No, but I wish I was!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Seriously, anyone who is interested in learning more about Walt Disney and his life from beginning to end, should make the trip to see it. Plus, it's in San Francisco (probably one of the most beautiful cities I've been to) and in a picturesque location (Golden Gate Bridge as the back drop, can't get much better than that...)

I will say this, it is definitely geared toward the older crowd. There's not much to keep the little ones occupied. I only saw a handful of kids when we were there but I imagine a young child might get bored.

But I recommend it...we'll be going back the next time we're in SF. A wonderful tribute to a man whose legacy changed the world!

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Sue Krauss (not sure of my spelling) had a nice part 1 review of the museum on miceage. She also mentioned the elevator :D Not sure when I will ever be in SFO but when and if I ever do get there, I will definately go see it!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 29, 2009 6:16 pm

I haven't been on miceage since last week. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up disneydreamer! :)

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Sep Tue 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Did you see the hologram thing? It looked cool

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 30, 2009 12:25 am

No, I don't recall a hologram. But that doesn't mean it wasn't there. We spent 4 hours at the museum, and we still didn't see everything.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Oct Thu 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I just finished reading Sue's report of the museum on MiceAge not to promote another site, but this report (part 3) had a great pic of a model of Disneyland in it
http://miceage.micechat.com/suekruse/sk102009a.htm

If you want to read her report I posted the link above.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Thu 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Gotta love those models.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Oct Thu 29, 2009 1:54 pm

I thought it was really cool. I want to go to the museum so bad!! Dang lottery better pick my number tomorrow...ha ha ha

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Thu 29, 2009 2:11 pm

The model was amazing! The attractions that are in buildings had the roof taken off and something depicted in the ride was there (you can see a bit of that in the pics in Sue's article). It was a neat effect. The one I really liked was the Skyway. On the Fantasyland side, there were the original round Skyway gondolas and on the Tomorrowland side, were the square-ish ones (these are the ones I remember).

I agree with Sue (and I still need to read the 2nd part of her article) about the end of the museum. I won't lie...I was crying at the end with the newsreels about Walt's death, but when you walk into that white room and all of his accomplishments are projected on the walls, a sudden wave of joy comes and the tears turn to happy ones.

So I'm a sap, I can't help it...yes I cry at the fireworks...no matter how many times I've seen them. (And American Adventure and Hall of Presidents and Great Moments w/ Mr. Lincoln)

It was a very well put together museum and I am so grateful to the family for sharing their memories and reminding the world that Walt was a man just like anyone else. A man with a wonderful imagination and he made his dream come true.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Oct Thu 29, 2009 2:18 pm

mmeleota your posts makes me wanna go to SFO soon!!!! I did love the model, I am at work so I didn't get to study it as much as I would've liked. I will ck it out again tonight at home. I got teary eyed just reading Sue's report :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Thu 29, 2009 2:37 pm

I don't know where you are located, but we just flew up for the day...just to go to the museum...expensive day trip, but worth it.

We're in Vegas, so it's not too bad. I surprised DH with the trip..he had no clue. We used it as an early anniversary present.

I could understand being across the country though...it's the same reason why we don't get to Florida as often as we would like.