Re: Disney Recipes

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 22, 2013 10:42 am

I picked up a Disney cookbook from an estate sale yesterday for only $1! :D

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Jun Sat 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Amy wrote:I picked up a Disney cookbook from an estate sale yesterday for only $1! :D

Which one did you get, Amy? I have an old one that a family member gave me. I know there are newer versions and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one last time we were at Disney.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Sun 23, 2013 7:07 am

Amy wrote:I picked up a Disney cookbook from an estate sale yesterday for only $1! :D

Wow. Nice bargain.... :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 23, 2013 8:08 am

Goofyfan wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:Which one did you get, Amy? I have an old one that a family member gave me. I know there are newer versions and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one last time we were at Disney.
Cooking with Mickey ~ Volume II. The one lady helping with the sale said she hadn't even noticed it was a Disney cookbook as the sale had so many cookbooks. How could you not notice cute little Mickey on the cover?! :shock: You better believe I searched through that stack for Volume I...but I never found it :(
It was sort of a train wreck as far as estate sales go, almost nothing was priced and I hated to keep asking, how much for this, how much for this...Originally when I asked, the cookbook was $2, and as we looked through the house, I found more Disney treasures :mickey: and ended up with a pile of stuff (Disney and non-Disney) for $25! So I was ok with nothing being priced at that point, although I have no idea what cost what :lol: I do know the price I paid for a framed Disney poster, hand drawn Mickey print and Mickey Mouse clock as those were all priced at $25 each :shock: I asked if they would consider less (the lady helping had come and whispered to me shortly after we had started looking around, "If you like something, make them an offer. I'll leave it at that." It was all very spy-like) and the lady that owns the company said, how about $5 each? Much better price! After chatting with them for awhile, we learned that it was only their second estate sale, that it was the third day of this sale, almost no one had been in, the wife wanted to sell as much as she could so they didn't have to haul out the leftovers (which were destined for a local charity) and the husband wasn't around much even though he was the one who wanted to start this business. It was sort of cute watching the family dynamic. I hope they do well and I'm sure they will definitely learn the ropes as they go. I did feel like both they and I got a fair deal in the end.
I will have to share a few pictures of the cool stuff I found later...maybe in the Subsonic Shopping mall thread.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Sun 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Wow Amy. Sounds like It was a good day. Sometimes you can find the neatest things at yard, garage, and estate sales. Our Church has a yearly yard sale in their gym and boy oh boy the donations come in fast and furious. We end up setting up 75 of those large cafeteria type tables and they are filled to overflow with boxes of items underneath. Some of the things that come in are awesome. :D :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Goofyfan wrote:Wow Amy. Sounds like It was a good day. Sometimes you can find the neatest things at yard, garage, and estate sales. Our Church has a yearly yard sale in their gym and boy oh boy the donations come in fast and furious. We end up setting up 75 of those large cafeteria type tables and they are filled to overflow with boxes of items underneath. Some of the things that come in are awesome. :D :goofy:
75 tables?! That sounds like a really big sale. I'm thinking there might be a few Disney treasures in there ~ or at least it would be worth looking :D And I always like going to the church sales as you know the proceeds will be going to something good.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jun Mon 24, 2013 8:30 am

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:Which one did you get, Amy? I have an old one that a family member gave me. I know there are newer versions and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one last time we were at Disney.
Cooking with Mickey ~ Volume II. The one lady helping with the sale said she hadn't even noticed it was a Disney cookbook as the sale had so many cookbooks. How could you not notice cute little Mickey on the cover?! :shock: You better believe I searched through that stack for Volume I...but I never found it :(
It was sort of a train wreck as far as estate sales go, almost nothing was priced and I hated to keep asking, how much for this, how much for this...Originally when I asked, the cookbook was $2, and as we looked through the house, I found more Disney treasures :mickey: and ended up with a pile of stuff (Disney and non-Disney) for $25! So I was ok with nothing being priced at that point, although I have no idea what cost what :lol: I do know the price I paid for a framed Disney poster, hand drawn Mickey print and Mickey Mouse clock as those were all priced at $25 each :shock: I asked if they would consider less (the lady helping had come and whispered to me shortly after we had started looking around, "If you like something, make them an offer. I'll leave it at that." It was all very spy-like) and the lady that owns the company said, how about $5 each? Much better price! After chatting with them for awhile, we learned that it was only their second estate sale, that it was the third day of this sale, almost no one had been in, the wife wanted to sell as much as she could so they didn't have to haul out the leftovers (which were destined for a local charity) and the husband wasn't around much even though he was the one who wanted to start this business. It was sort of cute watching the family dynamic. I hope they do well and I'm sure they will definitely learn the ropes as they go. I did feel like both they and I got a fair deal in the end.
I will have to share a few pictures of the cool stuff I found later...maybe in the Subsonic Shopping mall thread.

I haven't been in an estate sale for a while. Sounds like I need to make a trip. I'll have to look for your other post to see your bargains. :-) i have the Cooking with Mickey Around Our World. I haven't had it that long, but can't wait to make more recipes!

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Wed 26, 2013 3:53 pm

MMMMMMM. Sounds like taste testing time. :D :goofy:

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:01 pm

I have the Club 33 Truffle Mac & Cheese recipe if anyone wants it...
-Club33Hopeful

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Club33Hopeful wrote:I have the Club 33 Truffle Mac & Cheese recipe if anyone wants it...
I recently had the chance to taste something that had truffles in it and I wasn't a fan. I was surprised as I really like mushrooms, but I didn't care for the truffle flavor :(

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 9:07 pm

One of the biggest reasons I refuse to order truffles in any dish is that the bastards will usually just dump white truffle oil (which is cheap) on it and it drowns out the subtle nature of the truffle.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 27, 2013 7:29 am

Wizzard419 wrote:One of the biggest reasons I refuse to order truffles in any dish is that the bastards will usually just dump white truffle oil (which is cheap) on it and it drowns out the subtle nature of the truffle.
Maybe the dish had truffle oil in it instead of truffles? I will have to check the ingredients list the next time I am there.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 11:31 am

You will also see preserved truffles (they are cooked and are very reasonable compared to fresh) used, which is fine if they are cooked with the dish rather than added at the last minute.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Maurice’s Treats Strawberry Twists

Ingredients
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries*
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (17.3-ounce) box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Preparation
Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mash mixture with a potato masher until the berries are softened and sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often to prevent mixture from sticking to pan, until thick, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured, movable, flat surface, such as a lightweight cutting board. Lightly dust surface of pastry with flour and roll to smooth creases. Spread pastry sheet with 1/3 cup of the strawberry mixture. (Refrigerate any remaining strawberry mixture for up to 5 days.) Roll the second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to smooth creases; place on top of first sheet and press down gently. Place filled puff pastry in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat. Using a ruler as a guide, cut into pastry into 1 1/2-inch strips. Carefully pick up strips and place on baking sheets, twisting 3 times before laying down. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes and finish with a dusting of powdered sugar.

*You may substitute 1/3 cup store-bought strawberry jam.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"