In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

New restaurant to replace Spoodles

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 31, 2009 7:16 pm

http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/200 ... o_ope.html

Sounds like it will be the same kind of food. Just adding a celeb's name to it.

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Mar Tue 31, 2009 7:29 pm

Chef Cat Cora. She did some food shows for Disney on Demand (Comcast).
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Tue 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh I like Cat Cora. She's fun to watch on Iron Chef America.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Mar Tue 31, 2009 11:50 pm

I was a little surprised they were 'replacing' Spoodles, since I thought it was still doing pretty well. If it's just to add the name (more or less), though, I guess that makes more sense.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Apr Wed 01, 2009 9:47 am

Even though it is the same food, I liked Spoodles. It was an original to the Boardwalk and a great breakfast place!!
Mark86

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Wed 01, 2009 9:57 am

It looks, IMHO, like Disney is trying to up the anti with City Walk. Now if only they could set up Mario Batali and Paula Deen with their own places! My DW tells me a it's a sign of age but, and I'll say it, I find Paula Deen sexy!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

secondstar

Post by secondstar » Apr Wed 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Mark86 wrote:Even though it is the same food, I liked Spoodles. It was an original to the Boardwalk and a great breakfast place!!
I agree, Mark86. It was GREAT for breakfast.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Sep Fri 25, 2009 8:59 pm

No big loss to me, other than having the best dessert platter I've ever had, I found it to be loud, have a poor layout, horrible acoustics, and the worst piaea ever according to my wife.

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Oct Mon 12, 2009 8:33 pm

so after 60 minutes, if the cooks are not done preparing my meal..will they have to drop everything that they are doing and serve it to me as is? Or are they required to do 5 different plates with the secret ingredient for that day? Im just trying to get a better understanding of this new Cat Cora sponsored restaurant.

PirateFan31
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by PirateFan31 » Oct Tue 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Peerless83 wrote:so after 60 minutes, if the cooks are not done preparing my meal..will they have to drop everything that they are doing and serve it to me as is? Or are they required to do 5 different plates with the secret ingredient for that day? Im just trying to get a better understanding of this new Cat Cora sponsored restaurant.
It doesn't sound healthy to serve unfinished food. Isn't it a health violation? Also, how do diners know what the secret ingredient of the day is 90 days out when they book their reservation? This seems like a bad practice for a restaurant to get into. I'm not sure I want to eat here now. Is this what Spoodles did?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Tue 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Peerless83 wrote:so after 60 minutes, if the cooks are not done preparing my meal..will they have to drop everything that they are doing and serve it to me as is? Or are they required to do 5 different plates with the secret ingredient for that day? Im just trying to get a better understanding of this new Cat Cora sponsored restaurant.
Nice Iron Chef reference...as long as the secret ingredient isn't squab, and Alton is commentating the entire time your food is being cooked :lol: lol I've been having a blast watching Mark Dacascos on Dancing with the Stars!

I personally never ate at Spoodles, but I always liked saying the name.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Tue 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Squab is very good, as long as they weren't take off the streets of Brooklyn. How about a restaurant on the boardwalk with a real difference...AFFORDABLE PRICES!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Tue 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Was there back in Sept. I enjoyed the meal very much. Forgive me, I don't remember the names of the dishes.

For appetizers, we ordered the calamari, and the clams with sausage, which were very good. We also ordered the chicken soup which was just okay.

For entrees we got the seafood stew and the flank steak- which were both awesome. The stew was pretty hearty, and had a mild spiciness to it. My steak had just the right spices and I managed to finish the whole thing, considering we just ate three appetizers.

And for dessert we ordered the donuts, which were also good when dipped in both sauces.

The only downside was that appetizers came out fast, but the entrees took a little too long. Since the restaurant hadn't opened officially at the time, the imported beers weren't available yet. We wanted to dine outside, but they said that it wasn't allowed because of the weather...it was a clear and cloudless night. Despite those minor hiccups, it was an overall a good experience.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 13, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm with elizabethswann on this one: Cat Cora rocks! We are looking forward to eating at her place on our next trip, which will be especially exciting because we feel like we know her due to watching "Iron Chef" so much. :mrgreen:

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Oct Fri 23, 2009 10:25 am

It looked pretty good from what I saw. Nice looking atmosphere too. It seems pretty affordable as well given the a) celebrity chef status and b) being Disney (and maybe even c) a restaurant in a deluxe resort).

Jacca, what do you consider "affordable"? We ate at Big River Grille and Brewery and my meal was perhaps only a few dollars more than what I might expect to pay at a TGI Fridays or other family sit down establishment for an appetizer, burger, and beer? Kouzzina had a lot of stuff (I think?) in the mid to upper teens $$ wise for entrees, though that may have been lunch.

Personally, if it's Disney I think a menu with a few selections at the $13-18 range is quite affordable considering counter service restaurants charge $7-12 for much lower quality, mass produced, probably frozen food.