Any other thrill ride chickens here?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Any other thrill ride chickens here?

Post by Future Guy » Nov Fri 07, 2008 3:54 pm

I have a confession to make: I am a giant chicken. I've got thrill-ride-o-phobia. How big of a wimp am I? I refuse to ride Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain. Heck, even the teensy three-or-four-foot drop at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean gives me the willies.

I don't mind simulator rides like Star Tours or Mission:Space, because I know that they're just simulators and I'm not actually going anywhere. But coasters or rides like Tower of Terror do a very good job of convincing me that I'm about to die.

Am I the only one with this affliction, or does anyone else out there stay away from all those Disney thrill rides?

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Fri 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Absolutely not! I love thrill rides, in fact I think Disney should build a theme park of JUST thrill rides. Something to compete with IoA. They would of course need to include the most thrilling of the thrill rides: Inverted coasters, standing coasters, anything that would scare the pants of my grandmother. I also want to try skydiving, so anyone in the North Central Florida area or will be anytime in the future and wants to skydive, let me know.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Fri 07, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm a thrill seeker and I have been since I was a little kid. I think after hanging around boys a lot throughout my life since I'm such a huge tomboy, I think it made my fear for anything scary disappear. I'm a rollercoaster junkie and I'm proud of it. I was scared of some rides for a while but once I managed to try them out, I warm up to them. It probably explains why Magic Mountain is one of my favorite amusement parks after Disneyland. Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are a favorite simply because I have to order the very last seat to get the bigger thrills.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Nov Fri 07, 2008 11:08 pm

I really don't get freaked out by any of the rides at WDW anymore. The only ride that I really used to get slightly freaked out by ToT because when I was younger and they still had the bars (instead of the seatbelts), I was seated next to a bigger gentleman and didn't realize when we were going to drop and when I unexpectedly flew up, I got pretty freaked out. But now I'm okay!

The funny thing about this is that I can ride Rock n' Rollercoaster or BTMRR, etc. all day and be the happiest person on earth, but if I go on any other rollercoasters at any other theme park, I tend to get really freaked out by them. Weird...
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Sat 08, 2008 12:08 am

the only thrill ride I can't do is ToT (in a disney park) or any ride that goes up-and-down fast. Also, if I can SEE spinning, I get sick. I can do Mission Space Orange team (the one that spins) just fine, but if I SAW it spin, I'd be gone...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Sat 08, 2008 12:54 am

I handled Mission Space during a soft opening pretty well which is the most intense I have ever done. I love BTMR and find it is a coaster that is not too rough but gives you that thrill effect. Also Test Track is my favorite thrill ride. I just really enjoy sitting in the center or left side of the car. In the center you get jostled the most and on the left you have the best effect from the 65mph turn. I have been wanting to go on ToT for a long time, but I just can't convince anyone in my family to go on it with me. Hopefully next time I'll convince someone to go along with me.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

treasure hunter
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by treasure hunter » Nov Sat 08, 2008 2:47 am

Not a chicken on this one. Our whole family loves the Disney Thrill Rides!!!

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sat 08, 2008 4:19 am

I used to be scared (well, maybe not scared... intimidated? I dunno what the right word is there) of the drops in ToT and Splash Mountain. It took quite a few rides on each for me to really get used to them. Now I'm the person with her hands in the air on both. One thing I will say about Disney thrill rides versus, say, Six Flags or IoA is that the roller coasters they have are pretty tame. I'm not really a fan of big, big roller coasters.
spodie wrote:I really don't get freaked out by any of the rides at WDW anymore. The only ride that I really used to get slightly freaked out by ToT because when I was younger and they still had the bars (instead of the seatbelts), I was seated next to a bigger gentleman and didn't realize when we were going to drop and when I unexpectedly flew up, I got pretty freaked out. But now I'm okay!
I actually miss the bars, just for that reason! I always liked the hang time. :lol:
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Nov Sat 08, 2008 1:26 pm

I love thrill rides (Cedar Point, Six Flags, IoA, etc...) and will ride almost anything, but that's not what I go to Disney for.

The only thrill ride I do not go on anymore is M:S however. I don't get sick or antything... there's just something in the back of my head that tells me "you're not supposed to be under this kind of g-force". The other part of the reason is I miss Horizons ;-)

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Nov Sat 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I was a wimp for years lol! I got the guts to go on "The Hulk" at Universal Studios and after that ive gone on so many roller coasters. Getting over my fear of roller coasters turned me into a roller coaster freak lol! :mrgreen:
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Any other thrill ride chickens here?

Post by cccmouse » Nov Sat 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Future Guy wrote:I have a confession to make: I am a giant chicken. I've got thrill-ride-o-phobia. How big of a wimp am I? I refuse to ride Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain. Heck, even the teensy three-or-four-foot drop at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean gives me the willies.

I don't mind simulator rides like Star Tours or Mission:Space, because I know that they're just simulators and I'm not actually going anywhere. But coasters or rides like Tower of Terror do a very good job of convincing me that I'm about to die.

Am I the only one with this affliction, or does anyone else out there stay away from all those Disney thrill rides?
I am exactly the opposite. I can drop and go upside down all day long but don't put me in a simulator. It's not a pretty picture!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Nov Sat 08, 2008 9:50 pm

I actually cured my friend when we went down back in '02. She has been petrified of all coaster-type rides for years. I managed to get her onto Splash Mountain, and from there, she had to hit every coaster in WDW, with the exception of Space Mountain (she ended up with extreme heat exhaustion mid-way through our trip because she wasn't drinking enough and wasn't used to the walking. also, WDW in August isn't the coolest season to go).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Nov Sun 09, 2008 12:00 am

js3901 wrote:....(she ended up with extreme heat exhaustion mid-way through our trip because she wasn't drinking enough and wasn't used to the walking. also, WDW in August isn't the coolest season to go).
yeah i always start drinking plenty of water 2-3 weeks before i go to a theme park. It helps atleast me because if i forget to drink water at the parks i have plenty of water in me already. Works for me. i don't know about everyone else.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Nov Sun 09, 2008 12:54 am

Well I defnitely try to walk a few weeks before my vacation, to get my legs in shape, at least in the sun. I usually walk quite a bit at my job but sometimes its different walking on pavement. And I always carry a bottle of water with me when I'm down in Florida. Sometimes it's just way too hot down there.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Nov Sun 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Y'know, I might actually try to get my courage up and go on a few rides when I visit the parks next year. I definitely need to do Test Track, since I've got to write a blog post comparing it to World of Motion. And my wife keeps pestering me to do Splash Mountain.

Although the rational part of my brain knows that riding one of these things isn't going to kill me, I also wonder what's so darned fun about an experience that's designed to scare the crap out of you.