Food/treat you dislike

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Oct Wed 29, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm trying to remember if I've ever eaten in another PH. I'm pretty sure I've eaten in the one in downtown Toronto at least once and I don't remember it being bad. That was probably a few years after we ate at the DTD one. The DTD experience stands out as being probably the worst meal I've had on Disney property, though (and this is -years- since I ate there; it was definitely memorable, lol).

Even though it's a chain, the differences in local management may tip things one way or the other. I've eaten in other inconsistent national/international chains before (IHOP comes to mind). Not sure why the DTD one is such a hole in the Earth, though; bad local management would be my guess.

Spodie's on the right track for me, but I wouldn't say the food was tolerable. Overpriced swill would be my take. :D
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Oct Thu 30, 2008 1:16 am

I do know that as of my last trip in 2006, if you booked a trip down to WDW and stayed on property, they gave you a free meal ticket to PH. at least, they gave us one when I booked the trip through AAA. that and the brand name could explain why they're doing well...
They also have the Hotel on the Vegas Strip now where the Aladdin used to be and its doing very well. Just check out the movie 21. I ate at the PH in WDW in 2003 and it wasn't that bad.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Thu 30, 2008 7:56 am

spodie wrote:
I've never eaten at the PH in DTD (always too busy when we've been down there...), but we have one up in Niagara Falls on the Canadaian side. I haven't had a bad experience there and the food was good. I'm not sure what the differences would be, being that PH is a huge chain restaurant, so everything SHOULD be pretty much the same wherever they are.

I do know that as of my last trip in 2006, if you booked a trip down to WDW and stayed on property, they gave you a free meal ticket to PH. at least, they gave us one when I booked the trip through AAA. that and the brand name could explain why they're doing well...
That's interesting. I'm now going back trying to think if I've ever eaten at another Planet Hollywood, but I think it's just always been the Hard Rock Cafe, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I do, however, have a theory. I thought the food was tolerable - it was just the quality of food for the price that got me. Since Disney really does outdo themselves in the table service (and even counter service) food area, Planet Hollywood really just seems on par with most counter service meals at WDW, thus not really making it worth the time/money for me.
We've eaten at the PH at WDW and the one in NYC. It's over priced show food. I don't see how they stay in business. All it is, is an over priced themed McDonald's.

Now I do love :D The Cape May buffet. We eat there every time we go to WDW!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Oct Thu 30, 2008 9:12 am

It was 2005 when I ate at PH on property. I have not eaten at another PH, so I have to comparison, but the food was overpriced and tasted like banquet food. Low quality, mass produced meals. Nothing to write home about. Of course, I really haven't had a good meal at DTD. All of the chain restaurants are mediocre.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Oct Thu 30, 2008 6:43 pm

the reason the food is overpriced is because of the memorabilia on the walls. that, and to supplement the lousy merchandise sales they have...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Thu 30, 2008 7:09 pm

The only thing I found PH useful for was a snack to redeem our trip vouchers. The food tasted like a glorified Applebee's and the prices were extremely high. I remembere eating there years ago and the food was actually pretty good. I think it was in 2004.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

ff19dfd
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by ff19dfd » Nov Tue 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Our favorite snack is funnel cakes at Sleepy Hollow in The Magic Kingdom! This is one of our favorite places to sit and chill by Cinderella Castle, and Liberty Square is one of our favorite lands, most likely because it feels like home since we live in New England!

honorable mentions:
Clam Chowder at Columbia Harbor House
Popcorn from the cart on Main Street USA
Frozen Mickey Bars at any ice cream stand in the parks

bluebayougirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bluebayougirl » Nov Tue 11, 2008 10:43 pm

My least favorite would have to be a tie between the chimichangas in Frontierland and the mint juleps in New Orleans Square. Both have some sort of odd lingering taste - although my husband loves both, so...... maybe it is just me being picky, lol :) - blue
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Tue 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Oh, you're not picky about the mint juleps, blue. Everyone kept saying it's good but when I tried it...I had to down the rest of my sister's soda to get the taste out of my mouth.

bluebayougirl

Post by bluebayougirl » Nov Wed 12, 2008 12:07 pm

They are like minty sprite or something, lol - ick :) - blue
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

Donalds1Fan
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Wed 12, 2008 7:48 pm

PH is pretty good if you stick to the sandwiches. Beyond that, not so much.

I can't think of anything I've eaten at a regular restaurant or a CS place that I absolutely hated. There were some funky things on the Crystal Palace dinner buffet (worst macaroni and cheese I have ever eaten; disgusting isn't even a strong enough word for it) and Chef Mickey's breakfast buffet (namely the potatoes, which were sticky and dry, all at the same time).

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Dec Mon 01, 2008 9:45 pm

This may sound silly, but when I was a child I wouldn't eat the shrimp at the Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. My reasoning for this was that the shrimp had legs. They barbecued the shrimp with the shell and legs still intact. Even though i loved, and still do, shrimp I wouldn't eat their shrimp.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Tue 09, 2008 10:23 am

I have a question about the mint juleps since I've only been to DLR twice and they were years ago - I thought they didn't serve alcohol anywhere in DL other than Club 33? Is this some sort of virgin mint julep? A mint julep is pretty much just bourbon, water, sugar, and muddled mint leaves and they are delicious :wink: Maybe if they substitute seltzer water or sprite for the bourbon it would just taste like fizzy mint? Don't know.

Anyway my least fave food...hmm I'd have to go with Tony's Town Square in MK in WDW. The water tasted like it was fresh out of a chlorinated pool, the sauce tasted fresh out of a can from someone's fallout shelter, and the pork loin I got was dry and tasted far too heavily of the cheap white wine they used in the gravy. And it was expensive for what we got; then again I felt like me paying period was too much for what we got. The only redeeming thing I can recall was the bread.

I also really dislike the dish that was simply labeled "Traditional African Breakfast Fare" at Boma's breakfast. Everything else was amazing but this reminded me of like tapioca by itself. Gross consistency and odd flavor.

I'll catch flak for this hardcore too, but I have to say that the Teppanyaki grill in Epcot is essentially an overpriced and lackluster version of the majority of the cheaper Japanese steakhouses dotting the Kissimmee/Orlando area. Sorry!

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Tue 16, 2008 9:15 am

Bump. I reallllllllly want to hear more :(

I also dislike that they sell McDonald's fries (in fact DAK is pretty much co-owned by McDonalds) in the parks and then like double the price. They're just Mickey D fries, not Mickey M's!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Tue 16, 2008 2:10 pm

My mom didn't really care for the seafood crepes in Cafe Orleans. She was excited to try them out but she was really disappointed in them.