Big Disney announcement on 18 September

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Thu 18, 2008 7:46 am

where can we hear what the announcement will be? Is it going to be on TV, on the radio?
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Sep Thu 18, 2008 8:56 am

What Facebook group?
Sorry, I don't know why I missed this before :oops: .

It was "Disney World Addicts". I think it's the biggest WDW facebook group.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Sep Thu 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Here it is.........from the Orlando Sentinel today at 1pm:

Walt Disney World visitors to get in free on their birthdays
By Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
1:00 PM EDT, September 18, 2008
Next year everyone will be able to come to Walt Disney World theme park on their birthdays and get in free.

That's the cornerstone of the 2009 national promotional campaign, "What will you celebrate?" announced today by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Anyone showing up with a valid ID including proof of birth date will get a free ticket on that date in 2009 for one of the theme parks at Disney World or at Disneyland in California.

Disney officials announced the promotion today as their effort to cash in on what they described as a growing trend called "celebration vacations" -- trip to vacation spots that people take to celebrate big birthdays, big anniversaries, honeymoons and other momentous personal occasions.

Disney World probably already gets a lions' share of such vacations, according to a Ypartnership marketing survey that Disney commissioned. But until now the company has never put together a unified marketing campaign to attract such celebrations on a large scale.

Key to the effort launched today will be the birthday giveaway -- because everyone has a birthday. Even though a free ticket -- essentially $75 discount -- might seem almost insignificant in a family vacation budget that might run several thousand dollars, Disney's goal is to get more people at least considering bringing their birthdays to Disney World.

The promotion also will give Disney a major new tool to help assure that its theme-park turnstiles keep moving in the next year even if the teetering national economy starts dragging down the tourism business.

While the promotion was announced in New York City, with the aim of attracting national and international visitors, Central Floridians may cash in most easily and most often.

"We not only open up the opportunity, we hope they'll take the opportunity, " said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "The flip side of that is, nobody celebrates their birthday by themselves. They bring their family, their friends and their kids with them."

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Thu 18, 2008 12:49 pm

well, there ya go, that's what all the hoopla was all about
http://corporate.disney.go.com/news/cor ... rance.html

Guess I will have to read up on it, my BDay is in March so plenty of time to figure it all out.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Thu 18, 2008 1:01 pm

aww.. I just had a birthday within the last month. oh well, there's always next year... The only downfall (to myself) that I can see is that August is very hot down in FL../ :(
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Thu 18, 2008 1:33 pm

^ You and me both, js, but I doubt I would be visiting FL in the next couple of years. One of these days...

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Thu 18, 2008 2:19 pm

God, it is only for 2009 birthdays. Mine is in October, I have to wait over a whole year to get in for free. :cry:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Thu 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I feel bad complaining, 'cause I'm going to be on a cruise for my birthday. I'd rather be in the Magic Kingdom for free though. >.>

Interesting announcement, though. Maybe I'll convince my husband that's what he wants for his birthday. ;)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

adwayinc
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by adwayinc » Sep Thu 18, 2008 7:27 pm

I am already planning to go for my bday - I go every year....
yeah!!!
There is a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Sep Thu 18, 2008 9:51 pm

Oh wow this is cool. My husband and daughter have the same birthday so we could get two in. :D Just have to arrange work and school days off which might be tough. But it gives us something to think about.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Sep Thu 18, 2008 10:00 pm

What about the Passholders??
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Thu 18, 2008 10:08 pm

spodie wrote:What about the Passholders??
You probably get nothing. Disney seems to like to leave its AP holders out of things... Which makes sense from a business perspective I suppose. You bought an AP; they can already assume you're coming and don't require incentive. Doesn't make it less lame for AP holders, though. :?
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

bluebayougirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bluebayougirl » Sep Thu 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Wow, that is alot of hype for nothing really. I have to admit, I was hoping for something more. :) - blue
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Thu 18, 2008 10:43 pm

You'd probably have to call the company if you're an AP holder, but I believe you'd still get something. from the official announcement on the Disney corporate site:
Guests who already hold a valid multi-day ticket they will use on their birthday may choose from other birthday treats instead, however, no cash refunds or credits will be given.
here's the rest of the official press release, without commercial interruption (from SR :lol: )
September 18, 2008
IN 2009, COME TO A DISNEY PARK ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND GET IN FREE!

A Disney 'First' Launches 'Celebration Vacation' Travel Trend
NEW YORK (Sept. 18, 2008) Everyone who visits a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park on their birthday in 2009 can get in free, as Disney Parks embraces a newly identified family-travel trend called "celebration vacations."

A June 2008 survey of approximately 4,600 adults conducted by Ypartnership reveals that vacationers are increasingly motivated by events of high "personal significance" - milestone anniversaries,and birthdays, weddings and honeymoons, graduations and reunions and more. Seventy percent of respondents revealed they have taken a vacation primarily to celebrate a special occasion.

In 2009, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts will lead this growing trend with new entertainment and services that allow guests to turn their personal milestones into magical Disney experiences.

And to kick it all off: a first-ever opportunity for guests to receive a free ticket to one of the Disney theme parks on their birthday in 2009.

"Birthdays are the one occasion that we all share every year," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, at an announcement event today in New York. "We thought a free birthday ticket would be the icing on the cake as we extend this new 'celebration vacation' trend to Disney Parks."

"The motivations revealed in this fascinating piece of work suggest that vacations are increasingly viewed as an appropriate way to either recognize or reward the participants for some event of great significance in their lives," said Peter C. Yesawich, whose marketing services firm conducted the survey. "As such, we call them 'celebration vacations'."

Research showed that when families take that "celebration vacation" they are looking for destinations that provide activities for children and - better yet - activities that adults and children can enjoy together, Yesawich said.

"Given these findings, it's not surprising that Disney Parks topped the list of destinations where families would most like to celebrate these special occasions," he said.

Respondents rated these as the top destinations for a celebration: Disney theme parks (40% combined), Hawaii (18%), Florida {other than Walt Disney World Resort} (13%), Europe (13%) and the Caribbean (12%). Interestingly, respondents without children in their household mentioned Walt Disney World Resort as the preferred destination for a "celebration vacation" with a comparable frequency to those with children (33% versus 27% respectively). The same was true among respondents over 55 years of age versus those between 21 and 34 years of age (34% versus 29% respectively).

"We see our parks as the ideal setting for a personal celebration," Rasulo said. "Guests can immerse themselves in their favorite stories and their favorite characters, creating a visit they'll never forget.

"And when our cast members get involved, it feels as if the entire park is celebrating along with you."

At Walt Disney World Resort, guests can add on to the fun, choosing from more than 200 experiences ranging from breathtaking (magical fireworks cruises, sunrise safaris, diving the depths with undersea creatures) to mirth-making (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, character dining, kids' pirate adventures). At Disneyland Resort, celebrants can book more than 50 magical experiences including "My Disneyland Birthday Party" and guided tours that reveal Walt Disney's inspiration for Disney Parks.

With all there is to do in Disney parks, guests can tailor their celebration with favorite attractions, favorite characters and special experiences. Maybe they have a "princess" day with themed meals, shows, attractions and perfectly princess merchandise at Disneyland. Or they turn Walt Disney World "wild" with trail riding, bass fishing and parasailing.

Thanks to new Web tools, guests can discover magical experiences, unique events, dining enhancements and more. The planning tool is accessible by way of www.disneyparks.com.

Disney Parks also is presenting park experiences with memory-making in mind, including street parties in Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Park, a Tomorrowland video dance party (Walt Disney World Resort), a celebration barbecue and festive birthday party (Disneyland Resort) and colorful park décor.

Disney parks are the ultimate setting for any celebration, turning a special occasion into a magical Disney experience. And with the opportunity of free admission to a Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort theme park on your birthday in 2009, it's even more special. All it takes is a valid ID including proof of birth date. Guests can get more details and start the process by registering their birthdays at www.disneyparks.com.

Free theme park admission details:
To receive free admission to one of the Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks on your birthday in 2009, guests must bring valid ID including proof of birth date. Guests who already hold a valid multi-day ticket they will use on their birthday may choose from other birthday treats instead, however, no cash refunds or credits will be given. To register your birthday and find out more details, visit www.disneyparks.com.

# # #

Contacts
Zenia Mucha
Corporate Communications
(818) 560-5300

Jonathan Friedland
Corporate Communications
(818) 560-8306

Lowell Singer
Corporate Communications
(818) 560-6601
Source

apparently, you must register your birthday before you go, according to the last line of press release.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Thu 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Well, I love it! Since I live only 3.5 hours from Disney this is great!!! Happy bday to all of us!! I wonder if they will change the bday buttons.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"