WDW vs DL: Ride comparison

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

WDW vs DL: Ride comparison

Post by Chernabog » Jul Tue 15, 2008 2:59 pm

While I have never been to DL, apparently the same themed rides, i.e. POTC, are different at each location. I would like to know, from those who have been there, which of the 'same' rides are 'different' between locations? And why (if it is known?)

I just read that POTC in DL is longer than the one at WDW. This lead to the topic. I also do not understand why the one in WDW would be shorter when they had all the room they could have ever wanted when they bulit it?

mwehttam
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by mwehttam » Jul Tue 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Went to DL in Aug 05 for the 50th. My only trip so I am going on memories.

Pirates:
The DL version is longer. It has about a 5-10 minute bayou beginning as you move around the Blue Bayou restaurant ala the Mexico ride. A nice ride to slowly get you immersed as well as under the berm.

Splash Mt:
More fluid story at WDW then DL. Also felt longer. DL you are seated behind each other ala Space in WDW.

Space Mt:-
After the refurb for DL's 50th, this one kicks butt and takes names. Can only hope they do the one in WDW like it. They replaced the track, ride cars and sound track.

Tower of Terror:
In DCA it is a strick free fall ride. You do not have a the moving foward once you are up on top to the free fall position like in the Studios. They do have some neat effects though.

Big Thunder:
No huge difference from what I remember unless you want to get into the difference in the way they colored the rock formations (see the Disney Mountains book).

IASW:
Much longer in DL. Not sure if this is a good thing :lol: Kidding, I like this ride especially with my son (21 months).

That is all I can think of. If I remember more I will post.
"We want cake! Where's our cake!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 15, 2008 3:21 pm

It looks like mwehttam got all the ones I could think of except this one.

Soarin':
It is the same attraction with just different entrance queues. I would say the advantage goes to the new one in Epcot

Oh and for IASW, the one in MK is long enough for me. I went on that the last day I was there and am still singing the song in my head (It's a world of laughter a world of tears...)
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mwehttam

Post by mwehttam » Jul Tue 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Len90 wrote:It looks like mwehttam got all the ones I could think of except this one.

Soarin':
It is the same attraction with just different entrance queues. I would say the advantage goes to the new one in Epcot

Oh and for IASW, the one in MK is long enough for me. I went on that the last day I was there and am still singing the song in my head (It's a world of laughter a world of tears...)
Especially the tears part i bet. Get this song out of my head!!

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Jul Tue 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Len90 wrote:Soarin':
That's a scary thought, considering how awful the WDW Soarin' queue is. ;)
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Tue 15, 2008 7:11 pm

If I am not mistaken I think the DL version of Splash has more animatronics as they were procured from America Sings.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 15, 2008 8:04 pm

SWHorn wrote:
Len90 wrote:Soarin':
That's a scary thought, considering how awful the WDW Soarin' queue is. ;)
Well, I always fast pass it so I don't hang around there. I just walk right through it and from the little bit that I see it looks really cool, especially the desk where you can buy the tour tickets. It really makes you feel like you are going to board an airplane.

mwehttam, you got it right and just to not make you go insane, I will not type any more lyrics.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Tue 15, 2008 8:48 pm

You guys missed the Haunted Mansion.

**************SPOILERS****************

At DLR the Haunted mansion is "outside" the park, like space mountain at MK (which is outside the train track/berm). But at DLR the stretching room is an elevator which takes you down to a passage to the attraction. At MK the stretching room Stretches, ie the roof raises. Because the whole attraction is "inside" the park.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Tue 15, 2008 8:59 pm

jcodirewolf wrote:You guys missed the Haunted Mansion.

At DLR the Haunted mansion is "outside" the park, like space mountain at MK (which is outside the train track/berm). But at DLR the stretching room is an elevator which takes you down to a passage to the attraction. At MK the stretching room Stretches, ie the roof raises. Because the whole attraction is "inside" the park.

johno
Now see, this just isn't fair. I want to go to DL for my vaca this year, but I have already made plans for DC. Dammit.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Jul Tue 15, 2008 11:44 pm

jcodirewolf wrote:You guys missed the Haunted Mansion.

johno
I haven't been to disneyland since I was a little child. It's neat to know the differences between the 2 parks and their similar attractions. Is it really true that you are going to a different level in the park on the DLR haunted Mansion 'cause Disney has been known to make other attractions seem as though you are riding an elevator when really your not moving at all.

mwehttam

Post by mwehttam » Jul Wed 16, 2008 8:17 am

At DL both the Mansion and Pirates take you out under the berm and out of the park. Like previously mentioned, in Mansion, it is the elevator then the hallway. In Pirates it is the several drops as you work through the Bayou scene.

-Matt

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Jul Wed 16, 2008 8:54 am

I'm looking forward to the Subsonic 5th Anniversary Meet, as it will be my first DL trip. Then I will get to compare the ride first hand. :)

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

mwehttam

Post by mwehttam » Jul Wed 16, 2008 8:57 am

rdeacon,

Hazlet! I have an aunt and uncle that live in Hazlet.

Sorry that this was OT.

-Matt

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Jul Wed 16, 2008 9:08 am

mwehttam wrote:rdeacon,

Hazlet! I have an aunt and uncle that live in Hazlet.

Sorry that this was OT.

-Matt
haha... Hazlet huh. Weird

its a small world...

ok now its back on topic :wink:

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host