WDW vs DL: Ride comparison

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Tue 22, 2008 6:45 pm

DIAC1987 wrote:What about Jungle Cruise?
Well the Butterfly at Disneyland's JC is only has a 1 foot wingspan. The one at WDW is a full 12 INCHES!
Figment of Imagination wrote:I haven't been to disneyland since I was a little child. It's neat to know the differences between the 2 parks and their similar attractions. Is it really true that you are going to a different level in the park on the DLR haunted Mansion 'cause Disney has been known to make other attractions seem as though you are riding an elevator when really your not moving at all.
Yep you can see it in google earth. There is a big industrial looking building up behind the mansion. The mansion is no where near big enough to hold the attraction.

If you look at the mansion at Magic Kingdom. You'll see the same building behind it. The deal is here you just "walk into the basement" of the mansion.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Also, the temple in WDW has construction circa 1971! They are basically the same to me.

and a little off topic... rdeacon, I live 15 minutes from you and frequent the Red Oak Diner!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Sun 03, 2008 7:27 pm

I am listening to a few Disneyland files that I haven't listened to in a long time. I just heard the ridethrough for the HM, which I expect to have some differences, but was supprised to hear how different it appears to be. I have never been to Disneyland, so I do not know specifics about the ride, however it appears to have the same basic story as WDW's. A few noticible differences are the mention of "999 happy haunts, but there is room for one more" and the woman (I assume ghost bride) saying "come back, and don't forget your death certificate." At WDW both of these are while you are actually sitting in the doombuggy, but according the recording I heard, the first is while you are waiting to board and the second is after you disembark. I am hoping to reignite this thread, because I am really interested in the differences between the two parks. I am hoping I will be able to make it to DL sometime soon (maybe Feb.) so I can see the differences myself; in the meantime I will need to live vicariously through those who have.

(note to moderators: is there a way to post this thread in both "Walt Disney World Resort" and "Disneyland Resort?)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Sun 03, 2008 11:32 pm

agingerbugg wrote:(note to moderators: is there a way to post this thread in both "Walt Disney World Resort" and "Disneyland Resort?)
yeah, it's called the General Resorts and Cruise Lines forum. and that's where it should have been in the first place. moving now
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

IMFearless
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by IMFearless » Aug Mon 04, 2008 8:04 am

To the best of my memory: (the DL trip was in 2003, and I had the severe misfortune of Thunder, Splash, Space and the Mansion all being closed)
Jungle Cruise: I don't recall much, except that the DL temple part is actually built into the Temple of the Forbidden Eye attraction, and I think the spiel references this. However, I think there were some improvements added since then....
Pirates: The Disneyland version is MUCH longer. Almost the entire WDW version is still present, with maybe 5 extra minutes of ride on each side. The DL version has two drops, the aforementioned bayou scene, a pair of treasure cove scenes. The DL version also has an entrance and exit in the same spot, and the end of the ride is a lift back to the exit.
Winnie the Pooh: The WDW version is FAR better. The Disneyland version is very incoherent, and the scenes go by too fast to understand.
I don't remember much about the Fantasyland rides by way of differences, except that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is far better than I remembered it in Orlando.
Toontown: Actually decent in Disneyland. The Car Toon Spin is a must.
I think that's all I can remember.... We didn't have time, so we didn't bother seeing any of the 3D shows, because we understood that they were identical to their Orlando counterparts, and we were heading back to Orlando in, what, five months anywho. We did hit Star Tours, totally identical (queue and all) to the WDW version. Neither Soarin' in Orlando nor Tower of Terror in DL were open by the time of my most recent visit to each. Again, a lot of the big stuff were down. Though, because someone else mentioned it, and I'm a Thunder freak, the Disneyland and WDW versions of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are supposed to be mirror images - the theming is slightly different, but the track itself was mirrored for DL. By pure coincidence, the mirror image fit better than the original design.
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Aug Mon 04, 2008 12:35 pm

Memories from a June 2005 WDW trip and a July 2008 DLR trip.

I remember WDW's version of London on Peter Pan to be much more detailed than DLR's. It may not be, but that's what I remember.

castmember04
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by castmember04 » Aug Mon 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Splash mt is also better at wdw. The drop is higher. Star tours is the same.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Wed 06, 2008 2:08 pm

In another thread there is a discussion of the DL monorail not stopping at DCA eventhough it passes through the park. Because this stream of thought is off topic to that thread, but not this one I am posing the remainder of my quesions here.

The DL monorail system has two stops; one in Downtown Disney and one in Tomorrowland. Everyone must disembark in Tomorrowland, right? Do they check tickets before you board in Downtown Disney or after you disembark in Tomorrowland? What happens if you disembark in Tomorrowland without a ticket, do they put you in a little outfit and nail your feet to the floor of It's a Small World (Hey, my parents used to threaten us with that if we misbehaved at WDW)?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Aug Wed 06, 2008 3:16 pm

agingerbugg wrote:In another thread there is a discussion of the DL monorail not stopping at DCA eventhough it passes through the park. Because this stream of thought is off topic to that thread, but not this one I am posing the remainder of my quesions here.

The DL monorail system has two stops; one in Downtown Disney and one in Tomorrowland. Everyone must disembark in Tomorrowland, right? Do they check tickets before you board in Downtown Disney or after you disembark in Tomorrowland? What happens if you disembark in Tomorrowland without a ticket, do they put you in a little outfit and nail your feet to the floor of It's a Small World (Hey, my parents used to threaten us with that if we misbehaved at WDW)?
You have to be searched and give your ticket to get on the Monorail in Downtown Disney just as you do at the main entrance of Disneyland. Basically no free rides on the Monorail.

leblanan

Post by leblanan » Aug Fri 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Pirates is definately better in Disneyland.

I think the Tower of Terror is better in Disney World

and I think Disneyland has the best Space Mountain. When they close the Disney World one, I hope they update it like the one out in California
"now, bring me that horizon"

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Sep Thu 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Ok I have a question...
I know the haunted mansions are different in a lot of ways... but I just randomly thought of this...

When you exit the attic and begin the decent to the graveyard, part of the "mansion" is visible. (You know, the area that traditionally had the shaky window) Do both HM's use the same mansion "exterior" at this part? I can't remember if WDW's was brick or if it looked more like siding. But if it was brick, then they probably wouldn't have used it on the DL original, because it's not a brick mansion.

Can you follow me or was that confusing? :lol:

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » Sep Thu 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Just getting back from DL one thing that I found different was at SM. Love the ride at DL but do not like that most of the line is outside. Hopefully if DW refurbs. SM they will keep the que inside the building.

Monorail: Just felt like this was a waste at DL I really don't understand why they did not build a loading place for CA.

Pirates: Edge to DL

Buzz Lightyear: Edge DL. Love that you can move your gun around.

Thunder Mountain: same

Jungle Cruise: Edge DL, not by much but is different

TR: DL wins BIG, this is the way that the Tiki room should be DW needs to go back to the original!

Downtown Disney: DW wins, more Disney merchandise at DW. Other than World of Disney I was very disappointed with DL DD.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Mon 08, 2008 12:36 pm

I actually like DTD at DL because it seemed like they had a lot cooler layout and better stores. It's smaller, no doubt, but I just thought it was a lot cooler than the one at WDW. The only things that DTD at WDW has as an advantage is being on the water and having more real estate to work with.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Mon 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Len90 wrote:
SWHorn wrote:
Len90 wrote:Soarin':
It is the same attraction with just different entrance queues. I would say the advantage goes to the new one in Epcot
That's a scary thought, considering how awful the WDW Soarin' queue is. ;)
Well, I always fast pass it so I don't hang around there. I just walk right through it and from the little bit that I see it looks really cool, especially the desk where you can buy the tour tickets. It really makes you feel like you are going to board an airplane.

mwehttam, you got it right and just to not make you go insane, I will not type any more lyrics.
I do the single rider line at DCA and have never had to stand in the queue :D I totally loved this ride at DCA, I haven't been to WDW in YEARS so I wouldn't know.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jan Fri 16, 2009 2:14 pm

No one mentioned the big differences between the HMs? First, the DL HM has more of a walk through prior to the boarding of the Doom Buggies. In fact with the new WDW refurb, the portraits in the beginning of the updated WDW ride are the portraits you pass walking in the DLR queue (where the Sinister 13 used to be...I kinda miss them). WDW has the library scene in its HM which, unless has been changed recently, is not included in the DLR version (the ghost writers of ghost stories etc. w/ the busts and ladders and books). The WDW version is thus slightly longer than the DLR version.

As far as PotC I haven't been back to DLR since the Jack Sparrow refurbs but I know prior to them the WDW version had the "treasure room" scene which was not included in DLR, but DLR has the longer beginning including more of the skele crews, etc.

Jungle Cruise now has pirhannas in DLR that aren't in WDW.

Oh and Indiana Jones has dinosaurs in it at WDW.