WDW vs DL: Ride comparison

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Fri 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Oh and Indiana Jones has dinosaurs in it at WDW.
There's an Indy at WDW now? aside from the Stnt show?? When did this happen? :lol:
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jan Fri 16, 2009 4:12 pm

js3901 wrote:
There's an Indy at WDW now? aside from the Stnt show?? When did this happen? :lol:
It was kind of a joke. WDW has "Dinosaur" which is the exact same ride system and track as Indy, it's just themed to be dinosaurs instead of Indy. You can look it up though, they literally just took a copy of Indy and dropped it in ride-lacking DAK where Indy didn't really fit and tag it with dinos.

CapnHook
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by CapnHook » Jan Fri 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Jungle cruise is longer. With temple ruins that Disneyland doesn't have.

Also there are two drops at the beginning of the DL POC, the first drop is much larger than the single small drop at WDW.
Mr. Starkey: No splash, Captain.
Captain Hook: So, you want a splash, Mr Starkey? I'll give you a splash!
[Hook throws Mr Starkey overboard]
Captain Hook: Who's next?

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jan Fri 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
js3901 wrote:
It was kind of a joke. WDW has "Dinosaur" which is the exact same ride system and track as Indy, it's just themed to be dinosaurs instead of Indy. You can look it up though, they literally just took a copy of Indy and dropped it in ride-lacking DAK where Indy didn't really fit and tag it with dinos.
I know that. sarcasm doesn't convey well through the internet (unless it's in a video, that is). That's why I put in the laugh smiley.

and actually, there is no real "track" system on either Indy or Dinosaur. the vehicles are programmed via on-board computer to run a certain way. and from what I'm told, the ride layout is exactly the same.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Sun 18, 2009 12:12 am

js3901 wrote:I know that. sarcasm doesn't convey well through the internet (unless it's in a video, that is). That's why I put in the laugh smiley.

I would never had guessed that. ;)
js3901 wrote:and actually, there is no real "track" system on either Indy or Dinosaur. the vehicles are programmed via on-board computer to run a certain way. and from what I'm told, the ride layout is exactly the same.
this is mostly true. If you notice whilst driving along you will see a track in the floor. This is a safety feature and guidance system. The vehicles are on a track and they have to follow it otherwise they would go off into the scenery. Here is a schematic of the ride vehicles:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ehicle.png
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sun 18, 2009 12:47 am

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:
js3901 wrote:and actually, there is no real "track" system on either Indy or Dinosaur. the vehicles are programmed via on-board computer to run a certain way. and from what I'm told, the ride layout is exactly the same.
this is mostly true. If you notice whilst driving along you will see a track in the floor. This is a safety feature and guidance system. The vehicles are on a track and they have to follow it otherwise they would go off into the scenery. Here is a schematic of the ride vehicles:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ehicle.png
I remember seeing this metal line along the Dinosaur ride when I rode it in 2006. Looked to me like something extremely similar to what TGMR ride vehicles move along.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jan Sun 18, 2009 11:42 am

I remember seeing this metal line along the Dinosaur ride when I rode it in 2006. Looked to me like something extremely similar to what TGMR ride vehicles move along.
OK question I've always wondered about...

Are UoE and TGMR the same type of ride system more or less?

And then are things like ToT, Indy, Dinosaur (and TDL's Pooh) just like the next level in "trackless" rides such as those?

Basically is there any relationship between all of the rides I've mentioned? :lol:

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jan Sun 18, 2009 5:22 pm

the "track" on the floor is a radio wire that relays signals to the vehicles via a plate riding about 1/2" from the floor. the same technology is used in Tower of Terror to make the elevator leave the shaft to go "into the 5th demension" (WDW version). it's not a real "track" like say, the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Site Admin, WDW Freak

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Apr Sun 19, 2009 3:09 am

Pirates:
I like the DL version better because of the bayou part and the fact that the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooks the ride (although I think DLP does this better with the Blue Lagoon restaurant)

Splash Mt:
WDW is better - i don't know why??

Space Mt:-
I haven't tried DL since they updated it? I guess it's a tie

Tower of Terror:
WDW definetely

Big Thunder:
DL mainly because of the different views you get to see

Soarin:
WDW just because of the queueing area - the ride is the same whichever

napastoy
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by napastoy » Apr Mon 20, 2009 3:13 am

Pirates, Fantasmic, BTM and the Disneyland Railroad are much better at Disneyland.

I think TOT and Splash are better at WDW. :mickey:
"“Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Mon 20, 2009 7:10 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
js3901 wrote:
Disney also does this with animated dances in movies. A friend of mine has a video where they show animated dances side by side. All that changes are the characters. It's really funny to watch.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

keneka

Post by keneka » Nov Sun 15, 2009 6:48 am

TOT is better in wdw because the effects. Soarin is the same apart from the queueing area - i like the wdw version because it is huge and full of amazing murals/photographs but my favorite is DCA because it feels like a museum to aviation, Pirates is better in dl because of the bayou area and the blue bayou restaurant.