In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

wdwluz48
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

tips for cooling down at wdw in the summer

Post by wdwluz48 » Jul Mon 07, 2008 10:35 am

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I just want to give a big hello to all WDW fans! I sometimes go down to Orlando in the summer and I don't need to tell you how hot and sticky it is. Just a tip for moms and dads (this really works) if you have access to a fridge get a few bottles of water and freeze them. When you go to the parks wet a small face towel and spray it with your favorite cologne or perfume and wrap it around the frozen water bottle. Everytime you need to be refreshed take it out and its nice and wet plus its really cold because of the thawing water bottle. It keeps you cool and smelling great.

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Jul Mon 07, 2008 10:42 am

Moved your post over here.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jul Mon 07, 2008 1:56 pm

to be cool during the summer then try all the wet rides. Then after that cool in the shade by riding some dark rides and some shows till it turns to night. then after that dry yourself off by riding the indiana jones ride.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Mon 07, 2008 2:35 pm

My trick is to do all the outside rides in the morning hours, then find a nice long indoor attraction around three to wait out the afternoon storms. Hall of Presidents is a good one. After the storms the parks usually clear out a bit and then do the big ticket items.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Mon 07, 2008 3:47 pm

I wait until winter to go to WDW.

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Jul Mon 07, 2008 3:55 pm

kcarts wrote:I wait until winter to go to WDW.
:lol: Well said.
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by MintJulepRoo » Jul Mon 07, 2008 10:52 pm

How is WDW in the winter?? Indepth details will be much appreciated. For some reason I am very anti-summer right now and I want to hear about fall and winter frolics in WDW please!
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Mon 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, Florida has really only two seasons, hot and cold (it's cold to me, I live here). There is no autumn, we are hot until about December and then it gets cold. January has the coldest weather in Florida. We might get down to the thirties at night, but rarely freezing. Florida has the perfect climate (yes, I even enjoy the heat).
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jul Tue 08, 2008 11:53 am

"We might get down to the thirties at night, but rarely freezing. Florida has the perfect climate (yes, I even enjoy the heat)."

Up here in New England, we might get UP into the 30's during the day. So, in my opinion, Florida is warm during the winter.

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Tue 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Well having lived in Gainesville for 10 years and living in Boston for umm 17 years now.

When you live in Fla for years, you break out your ski jackets when it drops to 50. Now I sometimes, I wear "convertible" pants when I'm down there in the winter.

As far as the perfect climate I think San Diego is a much more perfect than GAINESVILLE is.

The best example I can think of is we go to MNSSHP every year on the same day (I ride in the Santa Fe Century, which is mid Oct every year which ever weekend there isn't a home game we go on the tuesday after the ride) some years we have to wear a coat (okay my wife does) and some years we are melting in our costumes.

a lot of times it will be cold in the morning, warm/hot mid day, and humid in the evening.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Tue 08, 2008 10:49 pm

So funny when we've gone to Disney in Jan. and we think it's warm and have shorts on, you can tell who lives in warmer climates b/c they're all wearing jackets and long pants! We live near Chicago, so 60's, 70's is warm and pool weather! :) Although, today it feels a little like WDW, it's humid.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 13, 2008 1:28 am

Here are some tips from my recent trip. We used to wake up and head to the pool immediately after breakfast. We would hang around there until 1:30 when we would go up and shower to be ready for the parks. We would go to the park closest to where our dinner reservation was and handle the 3:00 parade (if there was one we needed to see) and then go on a few indoor attractions. Our dinner reservations were around 5pm - 6pm so we would head for dinner. After dinner we would go to the park (usually the one with extra magic hours) and stay there until 11 or 12. We were able to accomplish everything without suffering from the heat.

Oh yeah, drink water not soda.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mwehttam
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by mwehttam » Jul Wed 16, 2008 10:40 am

Len90 wrote:Here are some tips from my recent trip. We used to wake up and head to the pool immediately after breakfast. We would hang around there until 1:30 when we would go up and shower to be ready for the parks. We would go to the park closest to where our dinner reservation was and handle the 3:00 parade (if there was one we needed to see) and then go on a few indoor attractions. Our dinner reservations were around 5pm - 6pm so we would head for dinner. After dinner we would go to the park (usually the one with extra magic hours) and stay there until 11 or 12. We were able to accomplish everything without suffering from the heat.

Oh yeah, drink water not soda.
I like that idea. Never thought about that direction. Since our son is under 2, we are up early so we do the opposite. We go in the morning, usually the park with EMH if there is one. Then we leave at lunch time and head back to resort for naps and swim. Then back to the parks for dinner and whatever.

As the kid(s) get older I know it will be hard to get them up and out early so I like this idea a lot and will use this in the future.

-Matt
"We want cake! Where's our cake!"

annag
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by annag » Jul Wed 23, 2008 2:44 pm

We have just all purchased camelbaks!!! If you can go to the parks with just an id and some money and a phone there are some great camelbaks out there. Plus you can get a cup of water or ice anywhere and just fill up at a fountain. Another plus is that they are hands free and its faster going through securtiy as well.

:mickey:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10750;443/st/20080814/e/Summer+%2708+in+WDW/dt/-1/k/c168/event.png[/img]

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;112/st/20081231/e/our+holiday+WDW+trip%21%21/dt/-1/k/2775/event.png[/img]

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Jul Thu 24, 2008 9:15 am

Great tips.

On our July trip several years ago, we followed all of the tips that we got on these boards:

1) Go at rope drop and spend moring at parks.
2) Go back to room during afternoon to cool off, eat, and possibly swim in resort pool.
3) Carry a waterbottle and re fill it with free cold water at fountains in parks.
4) Plan visits to the parks around a few "inside" rides to cool off. If you are waiting outside for an outdoor ride, follow that with a show inside, or a visit to a shop to cool off.
5) Go back in the evening when the sun goes down.
6) Don't go to afternoon parades. Wait until evening parades so you aren't sitting out in the hot sun all day.
7) Wear light colored clothes.
8) Lots and lots of sunscreen.
9) Wear a hat to help cover your face

Common sense stuff, but it really helps.