2009 Celebration

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

2009 Celebration

Post by Esmeralda » Jun Mon 16, 2008 12:33 pm

As we are about half way through 2008, I figure the rumors should start flying soon. The Year of Million Dreams will officially be over (hooray!) and now it's time for something new. Any idea what's next??
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jun Mon 16, 2008 12:43 pm

"The Year of Everyone Gets a Free Vacation." That's what I'm hoping for.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jun Mon 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Year of a Billion Dreams

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jun Mon 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Hopefully they will take a break for a year or two. It makes the special promotions actually special when they're not held in quick succesion. I would love if they invested the money they'd spend on a promtion and work on improving the park for a year or two. You could even keep the same budget for advertising to get people into the park, but just spend the money for prizes and some of the marketing materials over to hiring long-term cast members and things like that.
I really used to enjoy the every-5 years celebrations growing up because you knew something special was going on. For the past 4+ years it's just been constant celebrations and "big parties", and it tends to make the park lose some of it's soul if you're covering the castle in crowns, wrapping the monorail, and changing the banners and Mickey Ears contsantly. IMO of course :)

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Jun Mon 16, 2008 8:56 pm

I would love that they take a year off but I really don't see that happening, I defnitely see them making another celebration. The overkill of Banners/Signs spread throughout the parks is ugly, They should probably take a few years off and wait till WDW's 40th Anniversary in 2011 and in the meantime, fix the rides/attractions / build new rides in the meantime for the 40th anniversary celebration in 2011.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Jun Tue 17, 2008 7:35 am

The rumors I've been hearing is they are going to wait till 2011-2012 for the next one, 40th of WDW . They will be doing short "Celebrations" between now and then (a few weeks to a few months) But the huge year long ones are over till 2011 (late in the year I would guess, since WDW opened in Oct 1971.)

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

faxprincess
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by faxprincess » Jun Mon 23, 2008 12:52 pm

I hope this is true. I'm so over the celebrations! I hope Disneyland (CA) does not do a big celebration for WDW. It's not Disneyland's birthday afterall.

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Jun Mon 23, 2008 6:18 pm

If nothing is planned...wait 6 months. its like buying a pepsi or coke that doesn't offer something to win each time. i'm suprized they don't have numbers on the back of your fasspass that if you visit a special web-site you might be a winner.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Tue 24, 2008 10:25 am

So many parks around the world, one of them has to be celebrating at milestone anniversary that will be celebrated at all of the parks.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jun Tue 24, 2008 10:33 am

I definintely think they should take a break! It doesn't seem as special when it's always a "celebration".

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jun Tue 24, 2008 11:00 am

I think instead of having the entire year be part of the celebration they should do more for indivdual attraction anniversaries. Like something along the lines of what they did for Stitch's debut, but not as obnoxious. Or maybe, since a lot of the Fantasyland rides have the same anniversary, they could just a pick a random unannounced day to celebrate "Snow White's (Scary) Adventures". Outside the attraction they could have a sleeping snow white and the prince rides in on his horse and awakens her. Big Thunder could have a "rain making" ceremony by the cumulus dude. I don't know... I'm just thinking. The anniversaries work out better than random celebrations, so why not individual ride aniversaries. Nothing big, just special.

mommyfor2
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by mommyfor2 » Jun Tue 24, 2008 12:43 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I definintely think they should take a break! It doesn't seem as special when it's always a "celebration".
I definitely agree with the parks taking a break. It would be nice to be able to go & just enjoy the parks, attractions, & parades without wondering if we are going to win anything.

"Remember Dreams Really Do Come True." :minnie:

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Tue 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Unfortunately for those of us who like to see a year go by without a celebration, 2009 is the 20th anniversary of Disney Hollywood Studios. I don't think they'll let that pass without a celebration. Hopefully they do something understated like they did for EPCOT's 25th and AK's 10th.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Jun Wed 25, 2008 8:26 am

Actually, I wish they would have done a little more for Epcot's 25th and stopped the Year of a Million Dreams at one year.

I do agree with the majority on this one - we do need a break from the celebrations.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Jun Wed 25, 2008 8:18 pm

yea I thought that was kinda funny. I think most of us would have liked to see more Epcot 25, and less YoaMD. But maybe we are just too adult.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]