The Disney Wonder and The "wonder" of Disney

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

The Disney Wonder and The "wonder" of Disney

Post by disneydreamer58 » May Tue 20, 2008 2:38 pm

In reading this article by Kevin Yee (http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky052008a.htm page 2 & 3 are what I am thinking about) made me think about the "wonders" of the name Disney. What we think about when we think of the name Disney. In reading his article and how much we trust in the Disney name made me think about my own experiences.

Growing up in So. Cal and going to DL all the time, when I moved away and went to Six Flags for the 1st time, I was afraid to go on the rides because they were not DISNEY and that I truly believed that Disney had the best maintenance crews and their rides were the only safe ones to ever go on. How could I ever get on a ride at a small town carnival.....who would even want to! I really struggled. I still to this day am naive enough to believe that if it's Disney it is 100% safe, family friendly, and the best of the best. The Disney name meant/means something.

But this article made me think about how much is reality and how much is perception of what we think reality is when it comes to the Disney name/brand.

Kevin Yee "The more I thought about it, the more annoyed and frightened I became. I quizzed my companions, and one of them said the lifeguard had assured the frightened family that "they pull up the shark net before every cruise ship visit and inspect it for damage." I turned that over in my mind multiple times. Am I missing something? If they are inspecting the net without getting wet, doesn't that mean the net is presently not in the water, and any shark who wanders by can get in? On this same day (yes, it was a busy day!), yet another friend was doing the parasailing excursion on Disney's private island. He had a great time. He explained to me later that this was the ideal time to do it. After all, he trusts Disney.

Would he place that kind of trust in any old motorboat operator back in Huntington Beach? Heck no. He figured that if Disney trusted them, he would too. This was still true despite a scary moment when he was hooked up, and two bolts "broke" on the parasailing rig (he tried to explain it to me, but without seeing it, I couldn't quite follow it). He was hesitant, but still trusted in Disney."

Sorry for the long post, the article just got me to thinking about what the name Disney symbolizes for me. Afterall, I trust Disney!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"